• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Select Jonathan Brooks RB - 46th Pick, Round 2

5 minutes ago, CRA said:

the Panthers were the first to take a RB.  One that blew his knee out and isn’t even healthy.  And this is a weak RB class. We also happen to be the worst team in the NFL.    

I mean, maybe walking out of this draft claiming you were the first to draft a RB in round 2 isn’t a brag….and we shouldn’t have be demanded to like or are a Debbie Downer.  That’s just not how teams do it 2024 

Taking a RB top ten isn’t how it’s done these days…but teams are still doing it. Taking the top RB in the second is not a problem. 

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

2 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

OK, if you were going to build a system around a young, small QB who got hammered last year, what do you do?  You follow the Saints' model and bring in two stud guards.  You add a first round WR.  You trade for an X WR.  You add the best RB in the draft, one that blocks, catches, and runs.  We may add a TE tomorrow. 

You see, when the Defense is not afraid of your guards, your WRs, your RB, and your TE--they tend to pin their ears back.  That makes playing QB very difficult, something some of the more astute Huddlers have noticed.  Now they have to fear our OL, WR Johnson, WR Thielen, WR Legette, RB Brooks--all pretty elite. The Defense is less likely to pin their ears back.  This is how Payton designs his offenses, and why they call him the QB whisperer.  Yes, we will run the ball and I think we will feature motion, short passes, slants, etc. with a focus on YACs.  The RB was an important piece, and I doubt the RB we needed was going to be there in the fifth.  I hate drafting a RB, but I understand it.

Hell, We may add a TE tonight

One thing I'll add:

Some of the teams that it would be fine to emulate have invested in RBs.  Detroit, Buffalo, Seattle, LAR, MIA, PIT, SF don't shy away from RB investments.  I don't think this whole stigma of not taking one early has merit.  Yes, you can find them later more often than other positions, but that fact doesn't change the impact of the top prospects at the spot.    

• Pie 4

Yup just as I thought this draft was going to go. Good thing Sainristil got picked or that would have been our #65. 

I would have LOVED to been at that restaurant yesterday when Tepper was asking people who the Panthers should draft.

Damn I hate our scouting department.

4 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

OK, if you were going to build a system around a young, small QB who got hammered last year, what do you do?  You follow the Saints' model and bring in two stud guards.  You add a first round WR.  You trade for an X WR.  You add the best RB in the draft, one that blocks, catches, and runs.  We may add a TE tomorrow. 

You see, when the Defense is not afraid of your guards, your WRs, your RB, and your TE--they tend to pin their ears back.  That makes playing QB very difficult, something some of the more astute Huddlers have noticed.  Now they have to fear our OL, WR Johnson, WR Thielen, WR Legette, RB Brooks--all pretty elite. The Defense is less likely to pin their ears back.  This is how Payton designs his offenses, and why they call him the QB whisperer.  Yes, we will run the ball and I think we will feature motion, short passes, slants, etc. with a focus on YACs.  The RB was an important piece, and I doubt the RB we needed was going to be there in the fifth.  I hate drafting a RB, but I understand it.

Canales had the worst run game in all the NFL last year.   He is a former WR and QB coach.  I think this whole running narrative is being a tad overplayed…..I think to an extent it was just coach speak dealing with questions about a QB he didn’t really know coming off a bad debut 

4 minutes ago, theinstrumental said:

First pick of the 3rd round will happen later tonight.

Yeah, what I meant was having time to consider that 4th round pick gives us an advantage to take a difference maker (hopefully)

Edited by Shocker
  • Beer 1

2 minutes ago, Bear Hands said:

One thing I'll add:

Some of the teams that it would be fine to emulate have invested in RBs.  Detroit, Buffalo, Seattle, LAR, MIA, PIT, SF don't shy away from RB investments.  I don't think this whole stigma of not taking one early has merit.  Yes, you can find them later more often than other positions, but that fact doesn't change the impact of the top prospects at the spot.    

most those teams were already stacked and trying to get over the hump, making those high RBs luxury picks. Panthers don’t have that luxury and still have a ton of holes to fill. This pick addresses none of those holes 

• Poo 1