• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers run ONE play on repeat

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ok2h8pep said:

I can't watch any analysis that blames play calling, the O-line and our receivers without mentioning that BY can't throw the ball on time and on target with any zip.  BY is a bust, plain and simple.  Anyone watching him play at Alabama should have known this would be the outcome.

Won't say bust before he plays another game, but it was clear to me before the draft that wasn’t a number 1, or even close. 

I guess if they can get dominant players around him and design for his deficiencies he could be serviceable. But why do you want to do all that when you can get a prototypical performance out of a guy that is whatever size and shape? 

Do I cringe when I see him in the huddle? Yep, I admit it. Because I know what’s coming. But give me a real NFL arm and I’d feel a ton better about dealing with 5’10” 185. It’s always been his throwing/footwork/poor velocity for me. 

Edited by strato
  • Pie 2

1 hour ago, PantherBoy95 said:

Man, you bring up an amazing talking point. I remember thinking that though we didn't have the players we definitely had one of the best coaching staffs on paper.

I figured that would translate to a great system where we could finally cycle in players year in and year out with sustained success. I was wrong after Year 1. 😂😪

It wouldn’t be a stretch to conclude that Tepper, Fitterer and the rest of the FO had the same idea last year. At least we ditched that flawed approach and appear to be heading in the right direction. 

1 hour ago, Prowler2k18 said:

It wouldn’t be a stretch to conclude that Tepper, Fitterer and the rest of the FO had the same idea last year. At least we ditched that flawed approach and appear to be heading in the right direction. 

Right definitely, I just wonder what cog in the machine was the worst that messed it up.  Tepper that bad/meddling of an owner, Fitterer that bad of a GM, Reich that bad of a coach?

I guess it's not an either/or answer, and we got the lucky combination of all 3 'stars' aligning lol.

Either way, I'm definitely excited about what I've seen from the team this offseason.
I just hope it translates to one thing in the end..

• Pie 1

3 hours ago, ok2h8pep said:

I can't watch any analysis that blames play calling, the O-line and our receivers without mentioning that BY can't throw the ball on time and on target with any zip.  BY is a bust, plain and simple.  Anyone watching him play at Alabama should have known this would be the outcome.

The probem.is that Bryce  didn't come from a system that threw on timing and used mostly West Coast concepts. He held the ball and bought time trying for a big play which he often made given lesser college talent. He tried to do the same thing last year and it failed miserably. 

Of course he can throw timing routes and hit spots as he is very accurate. But you can't judge him a failure if he played in a new system with a poor coaching staff and had to do things he rarely practiced in college.

• Beer 1

I'm seeing some revisionist history being applied in here about things. Such is the life of a Panthers fan I suppose. Some of us would like to forget the debacle last year. But let's not just throw poo out there that isn't true. We ran a fugton of shotgun plays last year and it wasn't just because our coaching staff was trash. Anyone with eyes could see it was to the direct benefit of BY and his phsyical limitations. He ran virtually no under center plays with Alabama and we talked at length about that before the draft.

We can only have these circular arguments about last seasons coaching ineptitude so many times. Yes it was bad. The QB play was horrific at times as well. But let's not forget the fact that there were games where mediocre at best backup opposing QB's like Tyson Bagent and CJ Beathard looked much better than our own QB.

We need to see better results fast with Canales.

• Beer 1

10 hours ago, Day1PanthersFan said:

We are going to be DOA untill we can move on from this mistake, and get an NFL QB has our starter 

Right now I see the 2024 season just being a waste of everyone's time 

This is an evaluation year for Canales and his staff to really see what the roster can do in his system.  Based on the status of our roster, a new regime, the same meddling owner, etc… I have a hard time believing that we’re going to come out and shock the world.  In all likelihood, this season will set us up for the top draft pick in ‘25.  Sadly, that’s my expectation.  

No matter what the conclusion/opinion/mindset we have regarding BY he is here and going to begin the year as QB1.  Nothing I type is going to change that. In paper the organization did a nice job of acquiring personnel that should be able to help a young QB transition and improve.  If our young QB does not transition or improve then we need to find another QB. 

I hope BY is the answer but if not they  need to pivot. 

• Beer 1

17 hours ago, rayzor said:

BY didn't get Reich fired. Reich got himself fired by being way in over his head and being the head coach of a coaching staff who did nothing to help him out.

Of course they were all sold on the idea that BY was pro ready out of the gate by Fitt so they felt he didn't need to be developed (like every rookie should be).

They had no clear vision. And no solid plan in place, nothing worked, and the coaching staff was too busy playing hunger games to be coaching so they panicked and did the same thing over and over.

It was a complete clusterfug that we had a rookie QB who needed help thrown into the middle of.

I'm left with two possible conclusions here. One, Reich just saw a sucker in Tepper and hit him up for a check to ride into retirement on. Two, Reich took the job expecting a different QB to be the pick probably through his influence of the draft process. He and Bryce seemed like a major mismatch from the get go. Unless he was just looking for one last payday I really don't think he would've taken the job if he felt like Bryce would ultimately be the pick. There was a lot of talk about Reich always preferring QBs with good size and big arms. Now granted, all else being equal who doesn't? But it was always talked about that Bryce was basically the physical antithesis of what Reich had historically preferred at QB.

Hell, maybe it was a little bit of both. I can get this newbie owner to give me a pile of money based on my experience because his woefully inexperienced coach flopped horribly and then hopefully I can influence the draft process to get the QB I want. If not, oh well. At least I got paid! LOL

19 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I'm left with two possible conclusions here. One, Reich just saw a sucker in Tepper and hit him up for a check to ride into retirement on. Two, Reich took the job expecting a different QB to be the pick probably through his influence of the draft process. He and Bryce seemed like a major mismatch from the get go. Unless he was just looking for one last payday I really don't think he would've taken the job if he felt like Bryce would ultimately be the pick. There was a lot of talk about Reich always preferring QBs with good size and big arms. Now granted, all else being equal who doesn't? But it was always talked about that Bryce was basically the physical antithesis of what Reich had historically preferred at QB.

Hell, maybe it was a little bit of both. I can get this newbie owner to give me a pile of money based on my experience because his woefully inexperienced coach flopped horribly and then hopefully I can influence the draft process to get the QB I want. If not, oh well. At least I got paid! LOL

Or he got the QB that he wanted and he was just overrated as a coach because he had a good QB(luck) or a good OC. 

• Pie 4

20 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Option 3....Reich didn't have a clue what to do, especially with a rookie QB. It wasn't that he wanted to draft a different QB. It's that he wanted a vet.

I think he was in over his head even in Indy and barely managed to hang in because of the established QBs he had to work with. He knew what to do with vet QBs looking for a second chance because that's who he was as a pro. And the (limited) success he had as a player himself transferred on to his players.

He didn't really have to reinvent much in Indy like he was going to have to do here.

He was a likeable guy, but he wasn't enough as a leader as was needed for the cast of coaches and personalities he had here. To pull that off you'd need to be the biggest and strongest personality in the room and he never was.

It was just a bad fit for a weak leader and head coach. I just don't think anyone except that for that cokehead in Indy knew just how weak Reich was.

• Pie 1