• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Dear NFL: Bring Back the Fullback

Jeremy Igo

A traditional FB serves no purpose in our offense

last year when our offense was clicking we went no huddle off the shotgun.

OH MY GOD.

Any Coryell offense, or it's many strains needs a power running game that features a lead blocker much of the time.  Tolbert is our H back/ Fullback, but he isn't the road grader that Lo Neal was in SD.

Go back and look at the 06 Chargers, that's who you want to model the offense around.  Two tall WR's, athletic TE that can catch everything, power runner in LT, lead blocker in Lo Neal, QB with big enough arm to take the top off defenses.

• Pie 2

I'm in favor of a rushing attack lead by a bruising FB, but I also understand the need to change with the times. Todays offensives are more deceptive. Offensives now like to disguise what they want to do. Unless you have a FB like Tolbert, it's hard to disguise every play because you'd be limited by the athleticism of your FB. If you a have a true bruising FB, when he's on the field, there's a 90% chance that it's a run. When Tolbert is on the field, who knows...

I'm in favor of a rushing attack lead by a bruising FB, but I also understand the need to change with the times. Todays offensives are more deceptive. Offensives now like to disguise what they want to do. Unless you have a FB like Tolbert, it's hard to disguise every play because you'd be limited by the athleticism of your FB. If you a have a true bruising FB, when he's on the field, there's a 90% chance that it's a run. When Tolbert is on the field, who knows...

This is why I'd be in favor of Tolbert backing up Stew if Lee Ward proves himself in the preseason. Ward being at FB full time will make it harder to guess the play. Otherwise, if Tolbert leaves and Ward comes in, the defense has a better chance of guessing run. 

Edited by KillerKat

The big problem with blocking fullbacks is the same as the problem with blocking tight ends: they can't catch worth crap. Having a blocking fullback or tight end on field is a dead giveaway you are going to run the ball, unless you keep him on the field the whole game, which necessarily limits your quarterback's ability to throw.

see, theres a thing called a play action pass... can be real effective if weve been shoving down their throat

It no coincidence how double trouble's #'s went down once we lost Hoover. I'm all for Tolbert being a backup FB for those H-back roles and then be part of a RB trio the way the Giants had with Jacobs, ward, and Bradshaw. How nasty would it be with Tolbert running behind Lee on the goal line with Turner and Williams on the right side with Benjamin and Funch lined up wide for the threat of content fades.

If his college game translates then he is a MUST HAVE. Would like to keep him around as he is a beast of a blocker as well as a high IQ guy. If it works keep him and or atleast Pratice sqaud stash him.Thought I heard he was running back before going to stanford, just didnt get a lot of opportunity when Harbaugh brought him in. 

An extra blocker couldn't hurt especially at the goaline. Norwell, Turner, Kalil, Williams and Oher with Ward infront of Tolbert/Stew.. crazy ...add in the Cam threat ontop of the Funchess and KB duo on one side and Olsen @ the opposite ...I like it .. I like it a lot. 

OH MY GOD.

Any Coryell offense, or it's many strains needs a power running game that features a lead blocker much of the time.  Tolbert is our H back/ Fullback, but he isn't the road grader that Lo Neal was in SD.

Go back and look at the 06 Chargers, that's who you want to model the offense around.  Two tall WR's, athletic TE that can catch everything, power runner in LT, lead blocker in Lo Neal, QB with big enough arm to take the top off defenses.

Too bad our offense is almost nothing like the Air Coryell. And who were these so called tall receivers when Neal was there? cause Floyd and Jackson arrived after he left and Turner doesn't like using FB