• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Shots Fired - #gettlemagic

SetfreexX

Sheeeshhhh let him breath STEVE 

I only disagree with the Super Bowl roster comment, cornerstones were hurney’s picks but that 2015 team is his crowning achievement so far, he deserves credit for the season. 

But everything else smith said is spot on, been said the guy people skills is going to get him fired. Anyone disagreeing hasn’t taken a human resource or common business class to understand stupid cliche like “you shouldn’t like your boss” ect doesn’t work in today’s world, ancient way of thinking 

Steve Smith is absolutely right.

No other GM in the league has an issue handling and talking to players like Gettleman does. There were multiple former Panthers celebrating on Twitter when he was fired. Other teams are capable of letting people go with class, Gettleman isn’t.

Again, from what we know:
*He accused Jon Beason, a class-act guy, of faking an injury before trading him (the right move for both sides, but handled poorly)
*He cut the all-time leading receiver, with no replacements, in an undignified manner. This rift only healed when Gettleman was fired.
*He forced Jordan Gross, a class act, to retire a year early.
*He removed the tag on Josh Norman to prove his dick is bigger than his agent’s.

Some of these moves were defensible, but all of them were handled extremely poorly. No other GM has this sort of issue with handling players in a dignified and professional manner. Not one. It’s not a choice between throwing millions at veterans or treating them like sh*t, it’s a choice between cutting a player classfully or doing so sloppily and horribly.

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Gettleman looked brilliant early on. Nailed that Star/KK double dip and all of his bargain basement free agents worked out perfectly. Then it all unraveled. He reached on luxury picks (Shaq and Butler) while ignoring other massive needs, then capped it all off with a disastrous free agent class. That's not to even get into the Norman debacle.

All of that was in a positive side of things but then the Norman debacle happened. Three years later, we still haven't rebounded. His decision and the ensuing panic by double dipping for corners and throwing them out there killed us. Yeah, we brought in the one starter but he was atrocious.

I think we can all agree that Dave was not the best at handling people. But let's not act like he didn't do a heck of a job filling spots on the roster with minimal money (Oher, Mitchell, Coleman, Tillman, Tolbert ect.). He also nailed some draft picks (Star, Short, Bradberry, Williams, Moton) but missed on quite a few the last few years. People act like he was some egotistic maniac for cutting their favorite player, but it was just business for Dave. The whole Norman fiasco was Norman's agent/cousin's fault and Dave was right to not give him a huge contract. Smith was cut to allow Cam to take a leadership role on the team, Beason was over the hill, and Gross even stated that he wanted to retire. 

He wasn't a perfect GM by any stretch, but he was a much better talent evaluator and money manager than Hurney. I'd pick a GM with those traits over a guy with good people skills every time. 

32 minutes ago, TN05 said:

Steve Smith is absolutely right.

No other GM in the league has an issue handling and talking to players like Gettleman does. There were multiple former Panthers celebrating on Twitter when he was fired. Other teams are capable of letting people go with class, Gettleman isn’t.

Again, from what we know:
*He accused Jon Beason, a class-act guy, of faking an injury before trading him (the right move for both sides, but handled poorly)
*He cut the all-time leading receiver, with no replacements, in an undignified manner. This rift only healed when Gettleman was fired.
*He forced Jordan Gross, a class act, to retire a year early.
*He removed the tag on Josh Norman to prove his dick is bigger than his agent’s.

Some of these moves were defensible, but all of them were handled extremely poorly. No other GM has this sort of issue with handling players in a dignified and professional manner. Not one. It’s not a choice between throwing millions at veterans or treating them like sh*t, it’s a choice between cutting a player classfully or doing so sloppily and horribly.

Zero disagreements with any of this. You can make tough business development without being a complete asshole about it. All indications are that Gettleman lacks tact when making those difficult decisions and it seems like his ego forces him to feel as if he "won" the situation. No one wins when you have to move on from a franchise cornerstone. It's something every team deals with and it's something that many all-time great players have had to deal with, but there's a right way and a wrong way in how those situations are handled and Gettleman consistently did it in the wrong way. The thing about being an asshole in the work environment is that you can get away with it as long as it looks like you're doing a great job, but as soon as it doesn't... your ass is gonna be gone because absolutely no one is going to stand up for you, they're probably going to be standing by to throw gas on your funeral pyre and light the match.

SS said that he's worth what his contract said he was worth. That's not how the NFL salary cap works. If that was the case, you wouldn't see guys on their rookie deals demanding new contracts. There wouldn't be hold outs for more money. Guys would gladly take pay reductions when they weren't producing. At the end of the day, DG treated people as numbers. He separated himself from making emotional decisions, and he was probably cold and callous towards people. DG was good at what he did, finding bargain basement free agents because of limited to no cap space, and he had some success in the draft, especially late round. I don't have an issue with what he did as a GM, other than he lacked people skills and his ego got the best of him. I just don't think Carolina was necessarily a good fit for him, especially with JR's family first ideal. 

I met smitty after the super bowl loss. I heard some much negativity about him so I didn’t know what to expect. Honestly he was one of the funniest and nicest guys I ever met. He signed everything we gave him. Might him in Winston when they were doing that caravan tour I believe. Cool time. He signed my nfc 2003 champ shirt 

Archived