• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rapoport: Panthers expected to be in the mix for Watson.

Just now, Growl said:

You can absolutely be one QB away from the playoffs, as Tampa has demonstrated

the argument here is-do I like this crop of QBs? if you do, it's hard to pass that up, with all the inherent advantages it has

All those guys have question marks, We know what Watson is

• Beer 1

6 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

The contract is written like a 3 year contract, loading all of the money into a short spurt. Long term deals gives you more flexibility. Also, don't be shocked if Watson becomes the first QB to take a standardized contract. (Which will become the new norm for QBs in years to come) Aaron Rodgers was very close to being the first QB to sign one in this last extension.

We would still have the rest of the draft to pick players. We are giving up a first round pick, not our entire capital.  We still would be able to draft 6+ players each draft. You are acting like team's have never been in this situation before. GMs are licking their chops for this kind of opportunity. Superstar QB and build a franchise around him. We already have milestone players in impact positions.

Touché. I’ll be extremely happy if we pulled off a miracle and landed him, I just see too many things (like literally not having an O line) holding us back from being competitive if we pulled it off, but time will tell. 

Edited by WarPanthers89

7 minutes ago, nctarheelreincarnated said:

Subtract Teddy this year, put in Watson the Panthers are in the Playoffs and possibly beating the Saints and Bucs at least once a piece. And beating the Falcons 2 times. The Panthers are a legit QB away from contending, as the defense is already mediocre enough and will get better next year. 

Come on now

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, nctarheelreincarnated said:

Not gonna be cap strapped when some of these awful contracts are off the books. Next....

You mean CMC's and Shaq's?  Those are new deals.  They are on the books for a while. Also, have you even seen Watson's contract?  Cap friendly this year before hitting ~$40 million a year after that.  But I get it, he's going to come here, rip up his contract and graciously take a huge pay cut just because the Huddle wants it so.

2 minutes ago, Growl said:

the argument here is-do I like this crop of QBs? if you do, it's hard to pass that up, with all the inherent advantages it has

But we are more than a QB away.  This team needs about a dozen starters and depth everywhere.  You guys are drinking the Kool-Aid just because this team managed to not look like ass and win a couple of games.  

6 minutes ago, Growl said:

Yea your right.

They didn't get Gronk, Antonio Brown, Fournette, McCoy, or anyone else spectacular this year to contribute :eyeroll:

• Beer 1
  • Flames 2

4 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

Giving up so much for one player, no matter how great, on a rebuilding team is exactly the thinking that gets GMs fired.  You are never one player away from a championship.  It's the way fans think but realistic for a team starting from the ground up.  Despite what the homer's think around here this team is a long way from competing for the playoffs and giving up everything for Watson will not change that.  It would cripple this team for years.  Thank God there are smarter people running this team now. 

I may be a homer, but I just don't think we're that far off from playoff contention. Hell, with a more talented QB, we could've easily found ourselves in a wildcard spot this year. Moreover, unlike some, I think we have some legit talent on this roster on both sides of the ball. By 2022-23 season, I fully expect us to be in the dance. We have a head start on the rest of our division as far as rebuilding goes and they're going to have to pay for going all-in on old guys! We're getting younger, and I like what Rhule was able to do with the youngsters this year. If he and Fitterer can add to it with day three picks and UDFAs (which they have a track record of doing), assuming they make a move for Watson, I still think we'll be in good shape for 2022! 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

8 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

So with Watson, you dont think we win those single score games this year when we have the ball and an opportunity to win the game...?

You would be willing to sacrifice a ton of potential talent, and lose a ton of current talent over the next 5-10 years for the few measly games that could have been won this year?

• Beer 1

We have a new GM coming from a team that wasn't scared to trade for a big name.

We have an owner who supposedly isn't afraid of "splash" moves.

We have a coach who may just outright hate Teddy B. 

We have a fanbase who even AT BEST, says "meh" to Teddy. 

It all adds up to going all in on Deshaun should the Texans listen. 

• Pie 4
  • Beer 3