• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Steve Smith HoF is he in or out?

micnificent28

Statistically, he should be in. And if you consider the fact that he had some mediocre to bad QBs in that mix, and the others had some consistent play at QB, yup.

If you discount him for things like punching teammates...maybe not.  AB will have to overcome his behavioral issues--worse than Smitty--but I bet he does not get in for that reason alone.

Edited by MHS831

5 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Statistically, he should be in. And if you consider the fact that he had some mediocre to bad QBs in that mix, and the others had some consistent play at QB, yup.

If you discount him for things like punching teammates...

He shattered someone’s face, blinded them for life and disabled them, and essentially ruined their career and life.

Thats more than just punching a guy - he has serious mental issues. I know firsthand.

Luckily he’s rich and settled with the guy, probably paying him half of everything he ever earned otherwise he’d would’ve went to prison.

Yea he might get discounted for that one.

Edited by onmyown
  • Pie 2

4 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Worth remembering the process here...

The Hall of Fame voters are largely media. In order to get in, one of those voters has to present a strong argument for your inclusion.

Smith hasn't always had the greatest relationship with the media.

Agreed but there are probably just as many media folks that love him like we do.

Tory Holt was a great receiver on a great offensive team but he wasn't as dangerous as Smitty was.

Smitty terrorize defensive coordinators and made plays when they shouldn't have been made.  He has one more season before he is eligible but he'll be on the ballot and IMO will be a first ballot HOFer.

• Pie 1

17 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Worth remembering the process here...

The Hall of Fame voters are largely media. In order to get in, one of those voters has to present a strong argument for your inclusion.

Smith hasn't always had the greatest relationship with the media.

Now, as a member of the media, he's probably mending many of those relationships. (As difficult as that sounds).

I think he'll make it in, but it might be on the second or third ballot. Smith's story is too compelling, his performance on the field too powerful, his toughness too legendary, his competitiveness too undisputable. Old school sports reporters (who make up most of the voters) can get behind someone they can tell a story about. 

What did he say to us after he left...something about cutting his grass?  His gripes with management and the business were what they were. But he ran his mouth and acted like a total diva about a business move even though he is all about business.

No soup for you 89. You got your money and wife and kids and after-career. Great player but shitty teammate.  Wishing him well and glad he is on the upside.

50 minutes ago, onmyown said:

He shattered someone’s face, blinded them for life and disabled them, and essentially ruined their career and life.

Thats more than just punching a guy - he has serious mental issues. I know firsthand.

Luckily he’s rich and settled with the guy, probably paying him half of everything he ever earned otherwise he’d would’ve went to prison.

How did I not know that was the case?  I knew they sought damages--but I did not know about the blindness, etc

6 hours ago, CarolinaSunday said:

I think he's borderline. I'd be surprised at first ballot. I would not be surprised if he doesn't make it at all (although I'd be salty about it). However, I think it helps that he went into media and is keeping his name and "legend" relevant. So, I think it's more likely than not that he makes it. 

this is reason alone, he works for NFL network. They will want to slap HOF on him as soon as they can.

2 hours ago, onmyown said:

What are some of the things you know first hand? If you don’t mind sharing an example or two...