• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Don't reach

Zod

Reaching is in the eye of the beholder. This is a quarterback driven league and many teams in front of us and several behind us need qbs. Everyone knows the 4 at the top of the draft, but no one knows who will be a failure. Lawrence going to Jacksonville,  one of the leagues worst franchises may not work out. Lance may be the best of the bunch, but there is very little film on him and not major competition. We can't win in the league with Teddy Bridgewater and this is the closest we will get to a franchise qb while still having to give up 2 number ones. No one knows who is a reach.

• Pie 1

26 minutes ago, Captroop said:

Leaf, Sanchez, RGIII, Wentz, Darnold.

One thing for damn sure: You don't trade up for the second best QB in the draft.

A lot of us on the Forum agree with you, but I would guess almost 50% feel like we have to get Wilson, Fields, or Lance THIS YEAR or franchise is forever doomed. All of these guys have question marks.

Fields in from OHIO STATE...nuff said

Wilson has nice numbers, but he really hasn't played against any elite programs from the power 5 conferences. That's not his fault, but it does leave some room for doubt.

Lance didn't even play last year after he opted out of the spring FCS decision.  Here's a link to a good article on him. I'll post a portion of the article below the link.

https://247sports.com/Article/ESPN-Mel-Kiper-Jr-calls-Trey-Lance-most-fascinating-player-in-NFL-Draft-2021-North-Dakota-State-Football-160732511/

ESPN NFL Draft analyst Mel Kiper Jr. believes Lance is one of the most fascinating players in the draft.

"That's the most fascinating player in the draft probably in a long time is Trey Lance because of the circumstances you had to deal with COVID," Kiper said on the latest First Draft podcast. “Only one football game they played. If you go back to that game, whether it was rusty or pressing, he did not throw the ball well. He was 15 of 30 against Central Arkansas, threw the first interception of his career.

As I said, it was 15 of 17 starts he threw the ball 23 times or fewer. You had five games in 2019, 56.5 or less in terms of completion percentage. This is a ultimate leap of faith on talent. If you're taking Trey Lance and you're giving up all that to go up from eight to three to get him if you're Carolina Panthers. I get you're in a division with Atlanta. Matt Ryan can't be there forever. Tampa Bay, Brady not gonna be there forever, and New Orleans is still figuring out Taysom Hill.

So I get you want to find the quarterback you feel most strongly about. I understand that completely, if it's Trey Lance, great, do it. But Trey Lance, to me, the most difficult and the most fascinating player to evaluate, since I've probably been doing this and I've been doing it for 43 years."

"I think Lance, all these quarterbacks can play right away, but he's got to sit for a year or two. He's 20 years of age. Doesn't turn 21 until early May, arguably the youngest player in this draft...So to me, he's got to sit, watch and learn. You have Teddy Bridgewater will be kind of that bridge to Trey Lance if you go that route."

----

If he's there at 8 I can see taking a chance. But, I'm not giving up several years of high choices to nab him at #2 or #3.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

28 minutes ago, TreadmillTrackstar said:

Not considering Michael Vick's legal.issues but didn't he turn out pretty decent for the Falcons? I know I couldn't stand him as a Panthers fan but he had a fairly decent career and even thereafter in coming back after prison I thought.

Falcons traded up to the #1 overall pick....and that pick won them more than 8 games only once in his career.    

I guess an argument could of been made for butts in the seat, national relevance, and fun until his off the field problem emerged.    

48 minutes ago, Captroop said:

Leaf, Sanchez, RGIII, Wentz, Darnold.

One thing for damn sure: You don't trade up for the second best QB in the draft.

One could argue that several of those guys went to really shitty organizations. I mean the Jets? The Skins? Organizations that don't know how to build around their QB or have meddling owners. Dysfunctional. As of now, Tepper doesn't seem that way and this regime is in its infancy. I rather them take a shot at finding their guy than not do anything about it.