• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

IF we hadn’t beaten Washington

mcsmoak

I know the discussion of beating Washington has been beaten to death.  However, now that the draft has taken place, who do y’all think we would have taken in that scenario?  Guessing it would have been between Sewell Pitts and Horn, with the likeliest choice being Sewell.    I’m good with how it turned out btw

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1
  • Poo 5

Just now, CRA said:

Where do you think they had Wilson on their BPA board?  I assume they would have Trevor #1. 

Hard to say. I don't think they had any intention of drafting a QB in this class unless it was Lawrence as more stuff comes out.

• Pie 3

If we had not beaten Washington, we would have been able to trade up for Wilson.  I read we liked Lawrence and Wilson.  NY was not 100% sold on the idea of abandoning Darnold, and they would have taken a first rounder in 2021, 2022 and maybe a second in 2022 (what Darnold cost us) to move up.

But had we made the Darnold trade, I have to think we would have traded back---and still tried to acquire a #1 CB.  Here is why--there (in my opinion) were only 2 #1, lock down/zone/press etc. corners.  I said this before the draft in mid April---as much as I love Pitts and Sewell, we HAD to have a #1 CB to put on the WRs in this division.  And our CBs were KILLING us last year.  71% completion rate against us outside the numbers....who sucks that bad?

So trading back would have been a given. 
If not an option, we take Sewell.  elite LT > TE/WR/Star

Edited by MHS831

30 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

If we had not beaten Washington, we would have been able to trade up for Wilson.  I read we liked Lawrence and Wilson.  NY was not 100% sold on the idea of abandoning Darnold, and they would have taken a first rounder in 2021, 2022 and maybe a second in 2022 (what Darnold cost us) to move up.

But had we made the Darnold trade, I have to think we would have traded back---and still tried to acquire a #1 CB.  Here is why--there (in my opinion) were only 2 #1, lock down/zone/press etc. corners.  I said this before the draft in mid April---as much as I love Pitts and Sewell, we HAD to have a #1 CB to put on the WRs in this division.  And our CBs were KILLING us last year.  71% completion rate against us outside the numbers....who sucks that bad?

So trading back would have been a given. 
If not an option, we take Sewell.  elite LT > TE/WR/Star

Actually, yes they were or rather yes Joe Douglas was.

The writing was on the Wall during that season from hell. 

Yes, Adam Gase was history but Joe Douglas(Jets GM) wanted to draft HIS OWN GUY (as Sam was drafted by the previous GM) so he was gonzo no matter what.

• Poo 1

53 minutes ago, Verge said:

Hard to say. I don't think they had any intention of drafting a QB in this class unless it was Lawrence as more stuff comes out.

but there were repots we talked to the Dolphins some about trading to 3.  If you are going to 3 it is for a QB.

4 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

but there were repots we talked to the Dolphins some about trading to 3.  If you are going to 3 it is for a QB.

That was before the Darnold trade.

Once they got Darnold, they were out of the quarterback market but they didn't want anybody to know that.

1 hour ago, Verge said:

I think they would have drafted Lance if available