• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Moton signed to 4 year, $72M deal

AndrewLaskoski

18 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

This is all that matters.  

Exactly. The total number is irrelevant. The guaranteed amount appears fairly good at 43 million. The signing bonus will be a large piece of that and maybe the first 2 years salary. By the time it gets expensive the guaranteed money will be accounted for outside of the remaining proration on the signing bonus so we can keep him or cut him at that point.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

16.8 per over five yrs........  Not bad, not bad, not going to belly ache over two million more than want I thought was "fair". I also think for the first time is a while, Moton will last the full five years here and maybe even sign another deal towards the end of this one. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

2 hours ago, stbugs said:

I asked you for references about him being bad at LT and you never replied because there have been articles posted in here about how well he played LT against two solid DLs in NE and Dallas.

Sorry man, I have been busy and in and out of here a lot lately. 

If an OL can play LT at a high level, even if it is not quite as good as he can play another position, he plays LT. 

I was not impressed vs. NE, and I think it was Dallas when he got moved there for a bit.  I did not see a LT, but statistically, he was OK--I think he gave up one pressure.  It could be awkward footwork because getting moved without a week or two to prepare is brutal.  And Dallas was throwing some wicked stunts at him and he was doing fairly well at times.  I just need to see him vs. all kinds of DEs/OLBs.  One or two games?  Maybe they knew he'd be OK vs. one skill set and not the next game's DE.  I dunno.   So since he was not prepared vs. Dallas or NE at LT, it is really hard to get a feel for him out there. 

I saw some bad moments that he got away with, but I may have overstated my certainty that he is not going to play LT--I still do not think he will--because if he could play LT, he'd be a LT. You have an OL coach, an OC, a head coach--all watching film 8 hours a day.  Did any of them ever say, "Hey!! Wait a tick. What if we tried Moton on the other side?!!!."  I am guessing that they did that and tried it in practice and did not make the move.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, Jared Patterson said:

So where are we at cap wise for this year??? Doesn't this lower Moton's cap hit???

Not this year.  He's playing on the tag.  With bonus and incentives, it may go up.  Which is fine, we had last I checked like 24 million in space.

2 hours ago, Basbear said:

16.8 per over five yrs........  Not bad, not bad, not going to belly ache over two million more than want I thought was "fair". I also think for the first time is a while, Moton will last the full five years here and maybe even sign another deal towards the end of this one. 

I agree its  a little too much IMO, but based on his age and durability- its nothing to really b---h about. He could be the best T in the league in another year or two!

22 minutes ago, Michael G said:

I agree its  a little too much IMO, but based on his age and durability- its nothing to really b---h about. He could be the best T in the league in another year or two!

If Rhule, Pat Meyer, and Jeremy Scott all come to me with big support..... I mean 2 million is like missing out on a LB that plays ST some. Hes about at zero risk of embarrassing your team with off-field BS. Hes been healthy and rarely misses any snaps over his career. Hes a true pro with high IQ, thats worth slight over pay. Again its hard at times finding very good players that WANT to play at the bank and Moton wanted to stay here. He could have held out for 20+ million after the new TV money comes in along getting over convid....I wouldnt have blamed him one bit. This is like hes getting four 2nd year tags in a row......not a bad deal for Moton....I think he could have gotten more in the open market. 

Nows hes the new big money.....it feels close to the CHarles Johnson deal. 

Edited by Basbear
  • Beer 1