• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Honeymoon period

NAS

I'd call it a grace period more than a honeymoon. Throwing that much money and/or control at a college coach has rarely, if ever, worked out, and Rhule's performance against ranked teams and in bowls was not impressive. He was Tepper's choice though and deserves his shot, but skepticism was, and may still remain, justified IMO.

• Pie 5

5 minutes ago, KSpan said:

I'd call it a grace period more than a honeymoon. Throwing that much money and/or control at a college coach has rarely, if ever, worked out, and Rhule's performance against ranked teams and in bowls was not impressive. He was Tepper's choice though and deserves his shot, but skepticism was, and may still remain, justified IMO.

Good point about the pay factoring.   You instantly become one of the highest paid NFL coaches….it impacts expectations.   

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

I'm not at all sure anyone can fully count the 2020 season. Yes, there was football but it was far from a normal year. Many of the offseason perks a new HC normally gets were not there for Rhule. He hadn't met most of his players until late in the offseason. They made the best of Zoom but he and his staff didn't know the players like coaches should (thus signing many Temple and Baylor alumni). And that affects what decisions are made. Fans didn't know what they had in Rhule. Rhule didn't know what he had in his team. What I saw was a college coach and staff struggling to learn the NFL and their team in an atmosphere reminiscent of the Twilight Zone. So I'm giving him a bye for his 1st year but hope the lessons learned stick with him.

• Pie 1

I would say the honey moon period runs out next season. He will get this year for free and but if next season is a dud then there will be some accountability. Don’t see him getting fired before year 4 or 5 unless there are some really atrocious records.

Franchise QBs don’t grow on trees. It’ll take time. That said if Fields shows out and Darnold flops that’s strike 2 in my opinion. After that (year 4) shouldn’t take much to be shown the door.

If this team doesn’t have a winning season this year or next I’d seriously consider moving on.

In the mean time I hope a good team is built and the next qb is plug and play. It’s just as success of a blueprint.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, KSpan said:

Exactly. He was paid like a coach that's actually had NFL success. He needs to be a lot better than a 5 year plan. Each year without a legitimate NFL starter at QB is a wasted season. Given that it takes a rookie QB 2-3 years to develop into a threat, Rhule is way behind the curve here. Darnold showed nothing in NY and I have no idea why that would magically change now. 

Edited by BIGH2001
  • Pie 1

I like Rhule, he seems like a decent guy and a heck of a motivator. He brought in Joe Brady who was touted as a wunderkind for his work at LSU. He brought in Snow who had a reputation for being a hard-nosed, experienced defensive mastermind.

That being said, last year was a disappointing mess. 5-11 is 5-11 no matter what excuses you give. And he was one of a number of coaches at new gigs, but posted one of the bottom records. Covid, for all it did, hit all teams pretty much equally. Each of those new head coaches last season were headed to bad teams, badly built and poorly led. Rivera (who had certainly worn out his place here) was fighting cancer and undergoing chemo through the season. 

I think the honeymoon period didn't end with Cam. Cam was shot and was just going to be too expensive to keep. He went to New England and well, yeah, let's move on. It was badly handled but I got the feeling that it was kind of a mutually awkward break up. 

The honeymoon ended when we went into the off season 5-11, another losing season leaving a taste of ashes in our mouths. And he we are. 

Rhule, Brady and Snow are still our coaching triumvirate. We've got a new QB and a fair amount of praise for our draft picks. Two games into a meaningless but potentially telling pre-season and we're hearing the same rhetoric and somewhat strained praise again.

I hope we have it together this year. I want to cheer and celebrate. I don't want that disappointing feeling that was at the end of most games last year. I don't want to look at the roster and see the CMCs, DJs, Burnses and others that should be doing better than this just being forgotten by the rest of the league. I don't want them to be like Barry Sanders or Megatron stuck on a Lions-like team that will flounder year after year, no matter what they do.

The honeymoon is over. Rhule and Co. need to win many games this year. They need to contend in a very weak NFCSouth or they need to perhaps go back to the college ranks. As many can tell you, sometimes a great college resume` just doesn't translate into the real world. 

And, could someone make a frikkin' stop on third down?

• Pie 1

7 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

I like Rhule, he seems like a decent guy and a heck of a motivator. He brought in Joe Brady who was touted as a wunderkind for his work at LSU. He brought in Snow who had a reputation for being a hard-nosed, experienced defensive mastermind.

That being said, last year was a disappointing mess. 5-11 is 5-11 no matter what excuses you give. And he was one of a number of coaches at new gigs, but posted one of the bottom records. Covid, for all it did, hit all teams pretty much equally. Each of those new head coaches last season were headed to bad teams, badly built and poorly led. Rivera (who had certainly worn out his place here) was fighting cancer and undergoing chemo through the season. 

I think the honeymoon period didn't end with Cam. Cam was shot and was just going to be too expensive to keep. He went to New England and well, yeah, let's move on. It was badly handled but I got the feeling that it was kind of a mutually awkward break up. 

The honeymoon ended when we went into the off season 5-11, another losing season leaving a taste of ashes in our mouths. And he we are. 

Rhule, Brady and Snow are still our coaching triumvirate. We've got a new QB and a fair amount of praise for our draft picks. Two games into a meaningless but potentially telling pre-season and we're hearing the same rhetoric and somewhat strained praise again.

I hope we have it together this year. I want to cheer and celebrate. I don't want that disappointing feeling that was at the end of most games last year. I don't want to look at the roster and see the CMCs, DJs, Burnses and others that should be doing better than this just being forgotten by the rest of the league. I don't want them to be like Barry Sanders or Megatron stuck on a Lions-like team that will flounder year after year, no matter what they do.

The honeymoon is over. Rhule and Co. need to win many games this year. They need to contend in a very weak NFCSouth or they need to perhaps go back to the college ranks. As many can tell you, sometimes a great college resume` just doesn't translate into the real world. 

And, could someone make a frikkin' stop on third down?

We went 5-11 with a clear need for a franchise QB and we spent our top 10 draft pick on a freaking DB. He might be a great player but wrong pick at the wrong time.

• Pie 2
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, IceWhiteice said:

People are disappointed because they are not going in the right direction. They are making moves as if they are 1 or 2 players away. 

The Panthers?  No they aren't....

When you are 1 or 2 players away, you sign big name guys for a playoff run.  We haven't been doing that last off-season, nor the current one. 😕

As far as right direction, that means more wins than the previous season, right?  It's been 1 season, sooo.....

• Beer 1

20 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

That being said, last year was a disappointing mess. 5-11 is 5-11 no matter what excuses you give.

For you to be disappointed with 5-11, you would have to have expected better than 5-11.  There's your problem.

Personally, I saw 3 wins, maybe 2.  The roster was completely tore down, rightfully so.  How your expectations were so high is beyond me.  By all accounts, this team over performed last year...

• Beer 2