• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Randy Mueller: The definitive analysis/interview re: the Deshaun Watson situation.

SizzleBuzz

On Tuesday (before 53 man rosters were final) the Mid-Day Dolts on WFNZ radio interviewed a guy named Randy Mueller.  This man has 30 years of experience as an NFL exec including GM of Saints and Dolphins and in 2000 he was NFL Executive of the Year.  His brother Rick also has about 2 decades of NFL executive experience.

Randy seems to meet the criteria to qualify as an "expert".

[EXECUTIVE SUMMARY at bottom]

The show hosts said there were some rumors that Deshaun would be on the Texans 53-man active roster and then declared inactive on a weekly basis thereafter...this was Mueller's response:

"Yeah, I think that's a tough one. I don't see how, and I've read all the reports as well, how a team can with any certainty at all offer what the Texans are asking for a player they may not get for another year or longer.  Who knows how all this legal stuff is going to play out.

I think from the Texans standpoint it is a smart move because if they have a roster spot for him and he's part of the 53, Deshaun Watson has to play to get paid.

The League just doesn't work where you can show up and not play, you don't get that choice

So if he's on the active roster and expects to get his $10 or $12 million or whatever he has coming to him, he's gonna have to play for that. 

The League holds some directives with regards to this and I don't think Deshaun Watson is working from a position of strength like a lot of people are writing.

From another team's standpoint I just don't see it.  I mean if you're in Miami and it's rumored they've had some interest in him throughout the process how can you put your career on the line if you're the GM Chris Greer or Brian Flores and say "hey let's go do this let's give this for a what if"...?  That seems pretty shaky ice for me and I just don't see it happening.

I think the Texans have actually handled this as good as they can throughout this process and there's been different points when leverage goes to one side or the other but I think right now the Texans own some leverage in this deal and I'm fascinated by what they're going to do with him but if they're willing to put him on the 53 then Deshaun has to be willing to play, to get paid."

One of the dumbass hosts then asks another long-winded/poorly-worded question which boiled down was "if a trade was made and Deshaun sits all of 2021 and part of 2022 are you worried about his skills diminishing"?

Mueller's response:

"Umm, that's a tough one.  I think Deshaun Watson is a top-5 or 6 QB in the League but I also know his history with injury as well, he's not a big guy.  So just the style of his play kind of gives me a little pause there.

I think the Texans have set the price because they don't want to trade him.  I don't think they're gonna trade him for a discount and I think they'd be crazy to.  Therefor, that's just another reason why I don't think a trade is gonna happen. 

I'm not ready to sell my whole franchise, my whole soul, for Deshaun Watson at this point. 

[goes on with some more reasons why Miami won't do it and then concludes with...]

I think the Texans are going to sit on this one and play it out, and I would too frankly."

AUDIO LINK HERE:  https://wfnz.com/category/shows/nick-wilson/  (scroll down and find Mueller interview on 8/31...Deshaun portion starts at about the 7:45 mark)

EXECUTIVE SUMMARY:

1.  No logical case can be made for another team giving up all the assets the Texans are rumored asking in return for Deshaun.

2.  The Texans have set an outlandish price because they don't want to trade him.

3.  If Deshaun wants to get paid this year he's going to have to play.

Edited by SizzleBuzz
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1
  • Poo 1

Watson only has to play if the Texans want him to play.

The Texans are not going to ask him to play.  And honestly the only reason why the NFL hasn't put him on the exempt list yet is because they know the Texans aren't going to play him, and so they don't need to deal with it (yet).

6 minutes ago, Mage said:

Watson only has to play if the Texans want him to play.

The Texans are not going to ask him to play.  And honestly the only reason why the NFL hasn't put him on the exempt list yet is because they know the Texans aren't going to play him, and so they don't need to deal with it (yet).

Exactly!

Edited by BurnNChinn
  • Pie 1

14 minutes ago, Wes21 said:

Santonio Holmes proved that if you don't want to play you don't HAVE to play.  Just say its your back or your hamstring or something that can't be directly verified.  Problem solved.

Then you have the choice of starting him or sending him to a massage therapist, and we know how that ended last time.. 

• Beer 2
  • The D 1