• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

PFF Grades - Panthers defensive line.

Zod

Zack Wilson has been sacked 10 times in two games, yet PFF says they have the 10th best line in the league.  The run grade is crap too, their ybc is 14th and they have fewer rushing yards than we do at 197, ranked 22.  I am sorry their line grades are looking more and more like ass.

1 hour ago, Luciu5 said:

(PFF grades on a scale of 0-100, with higher grades indicating better play. PFF has explained its grades this way: 100-90 elite; 89-85 Pro Bowler; 84-70 starter; 69-60 backup; 59-0 replaceable

-per Google search

Brian Burns better pick up his play. He's barely past backup level.

The more PFF grades I see, the more I'm convinced how much you have to take them with a gran of salt. PFF can be useful for tracking objective things like pressures, but whatever system they use to come up with their grades seems to need a lot of work.

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, AU-panther said:

Maybe they look at rushing snaps also?

The saints ran for 48 yards,   2.8 ypc....with the longest run being by the QB for 12.

That's right, their running backs amassed 36 yards on 14 attempts.

PFF is supposed take into account level of competition as well, and Kamara is considered one of the best backs in the league.  He got 5 yards on 8 carries. 

Jets, same thing, 45 yards on 17 att, 2.6 yards a carry.

I think it would be hard to make the case that any of our DL were hurt my their rushing D performance.

I'm beginning to wonder if PFF is even watching the games.

• Beer 1

We've been getting excellent production out of the front 4 while the back-ups have been doing well also. Nixon was said early on to be the steal of the draft (though Trey Smith might be the guy on that one), Roy as mentioned earlier basically stuffed the Aints by himself on a drive, YGM is a young guy with a high ceiling that flashes at least once a game, and Haynes has developed into a great rotational pass rusher.

Best part for me? All but two of those guys (Jones, Fox) are draft picks and we have two young guys that we've invested draft picks in to potentially replace them with (Hoskins, Johnson). 

Fingers are crossed we can build an OL in a similar fashion! 😮

Edited by Icege
  • Pie 1

Ya this seems absurdly low, compared even to week one numbers if I’m remembering correctly. On paper we have the best DL in the game in damn near every category. I’ll take the football outsiders DVOA this week over this swill. 

I wish the guy who does https://moneypuck.com did an NFL breakdown too both for teams and players. That way we could rank them on every statistic category independently without having to have PFF “tell” us how good they are. 

16 hours ago, SBBlue said:

The saints ran for 48 yards,   2.8 ypc....with the longest run being by the QB for 12.

That's right, their running backs amassed 36 yards on 14 attempts.

PFF is supposed take into account level of competition as well, and Kamara is considered one of the best backs in the league.  He got 5 yards on 8 carries. 

Jets, same thing, 45 yards on 17 att, 2.6 yards a carry.

I think it would be hard to make the case that any of our DL were hurt my their rushing D performance.

I'm beginning to wonder if PFF is even watching the games.

Pff grades aren't some formula based off of stats.

A D-lineman can be negatively graded on a running play even if the RB didn't have much success.  Maybe that D-lineman got beat but another player made a great play to stop the RB for a small gain.

Fans watch the game, PFF watches the player.  Fans see a running play for a 2 yard gain and automatically think everyone did their job.  Maybe a certain D-lineman got pushed around on that play but it was away from the ball. Fans never see it.

• Pie 1

20 hours ago, Zod said:

#Panthers DL grades through Week 2, per @PFF. 

- Brian Burns: 71.3
- DaQuan Jones: 75.4
- Derrick Brown: 74.4
- Morgan Fox: 79.4
- Yetur Gross-Matos: 58.6
- Daviyon Nixon: 65.8
- Marquis Haynes: 71.8
- Bravvion Roy: 57.3

Pretty huge contrast with the offensive line. 

I’m gonna make the prediction that Burns and Brown break through as All Pro DL. Reddick makes the pro bowl.