• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Adjusted Expectations

L-TownCat

15 minutes ago, CRA said:

If Cam is simply 2020 Cam.  That is a good pairing with this D and team.  

He played the whole 2020 season minus 2 Covid games and ran for 600 yards/12 TD's. I think he's good to go after taking 2019 off. If him and CMC are on the field together defenses aren't gonna be able to do what they did to Sam over and over again. Brady looked happy in his press conference so I guess we shall see if he really knows what he's doing

I think Cam adds 1-2 wins as long as he's steady.  As romanticized as we all want to make this reunion, he's not coming back as a top QB. We'll continue to compete for the 7th playoff spot with the rest of the middling NFC teams being average to awful. 

Expectations for the future are now just hoping that Cam comes in, is steady, is our vet option heading into next year while a rookie learns behind him. Cam returns home for some fun, to close some doors the right way, and go out on his own terms before handing the reins over in a year or two. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Cam is bringing leadership and swagger back to the offense which is severely lacking. I wouldn't even put it past him to get some of these O-Lineman to step their game up a bit and actually work at protection. My expectations are to see progression, I don't care if we lose games but I want to see Zane for more extra points than regular FG's, I want to see points, and I want to see the offense having fun, because the defense looks like its having a blast at the beginning of the game until the offense makes them work too hard.

• Pie 2

This will be the healthiest that Cam has been in a long time. He's still got the foot speed. He's a veteran now.

This is the best group of WRs he's ever gotten to throw to, along with having CMC. He doesn't have Olsen, but maybe he can help Tommy Tremble become that true heir to the TE position.

• Beer 3

1 hour ago, Cdparr7 said:

It was both. What’s going to happen the next few weeks is the offense is going to get a little better but still have issues.

All the Darnold people who bitched about the line are going to blame Cam and all the people who blamed Darnold are going to bitch about the line. 

not even close, cam has had more excuses than any qb the panthers have had to date. some valid, some not. but people could not critique him or actually have any discussion about him that wasn’t butterflies and roses less they be called racist.

sorry but it’s true and everyone know it.

what’s going to happen is the team is not going to do so well because it’s a team game and the panthers are far from plug and play qb

cam will come in and beat the WFT and the Dolphins and lose the rest

no critical discussion allowed and there will be excuses galore. I mean there were excuses on better teams. and there sign cam long term threads. (there already are lol)

Edited by onmyown
  • Poo 3

3 minutes ago, onmyown said:

not even close, cam has had more excuses than any qb the panthers have had to date. some valid, some not. but people could not critique him or actually have any discussion about him that wasn’t butterflies and roses less they be called racist.

Most people knew that if we put a good line and good receivers in front of cam that his elite qualities would put us over the top year after year. If you put a good line in front of Sam he’d still have major issues because he can’t process poo in clean pockets. He’s the worst starting qb over the past 4 years with clean pockets. That’s the difference. 

only thing we need for cam to be is average for this year and the defense to ball out. The line is still an issue. And will continue to be an issue for Cam. Nobody whose talked poo about how horrible Darnold said the line was good. Just that he was making a bad line much worse then they really were and just competent qb play with an easy front half schedule would’ve stacked wins for us to get into the playoffs. 

• Pie 6

17 minutes ago, onmyown said:

what’s going to happen is the team is not going to do so well because it’s a team game and the panthers are far from plug and play qb

cam will come in and beat the WFT and the Dolphins and lose the rest

no critical discussion allowed and there will be excuses galore. I mean there were excuses on better teams. and there sign cam long term threads. (there already are lol)

Wow you are still verrrry bitter years later. That is sad. Maybe this version of the Panthers isn't for you bud.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, MHS831 said:

Here are some facts that people are forgetting:

1. Cam lost a starting position to the fourth rookie QB taken in the draft.

2. Cam seemed to have throwing issues and was incapable of hitting the deep ball.

3. Cam was not picked up for a half season. 

Cam has 8 games to show the world he can still play.  That is where we are.  Forget 2015---forget 2017, the last good year he had.  Lets pull and pray for Cam to be fully recovered and back to some resemblance of his former self.

I expect Cam to throw the ball better as he gets more comfortable. He is healthy so it has to be better. I expect some missed throws his first game back, but I also expect Cams presence to open things up for McCaffery.  

Im not sure how much stock you can put into Cam's season last year. The covid issues are well documented.  Lets just wait and see. If anything, a better rushing attack and fewer turnovers will equate to wins.

Anyone who expects the Cam of 2015 (or even 2017) is setting themselves up for disappointment. Plus, our OL is still our OL; it's not like they can block long enough for receivers to get downfield anyway.

That said, if Cam can just be a decent game-manager as a passer while giving us a boost as a runner it's a huge improvement over Darnold and with our defense that may be enough to get us into the playoffs.

One thing I find interesting is the fact that, reportedly, the team wanted Cam to sign a 2-year deal. That tells me that maybe the plan was to let Cam serve as a bridge QB until we can draft our QB of the future in 2023, given the weak QB class next year. It'd also give us time to build up the OL before throwing a rookie out there.

If that's the case then I think it's entirely possible that Cam is re-signed in the offseason for at least another year, baring a really poor showing for the rest of this year.

2 hours ago, MHS831 said:

Here are some facts that people are forgetting:

1. Cam lost a starting position to the fourth rookie QB taken in the draft.

2. Cam seemed to have throwing issues and was incapable of hitting the deep ball.

3. Cam was not picked up for a half season. 

Cam has 8 games to show the world he can still play.  That is where we are.  Forget 2015---forget 2017, the last good year he had.  Lets pull and pray for Cam to be fully recovered and back to some resemblance of his former self.

Amen.