• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cam set to start against Washington

Proudiddy

59 minutes ago, Catsfan69 said:

I think it's too soon but whatever. 

You cant say anything that's not 100% Cam Newton hype right now without being called a hater.  No matter how much sense it makes.  I think it makes much sense to keep giving him more snaps each week but there is no major benefit to rushing him in full time.   Until PJ poos the bed anyways.

• Beer 2

They're starting Cam so that they can bring him out first to the roar of the crowd. You can't bring out the backup QB first during intros. He'll probably still share snaps with PJ, and I'm sure he'll be fine with it. Cam wants his team to win above all else. That's what people who call him selfish and me-first completely ignore. Everything he does is aimed at either advancing his team's field position or getting his teammates hyped to ball out. 

• Pie 5
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

I can understand the thought process about needing some time to get up to speed in the offense but keep in mind that Newton is an 11 year NFL veteran. There will be a learning curve but you don't expect it to be as steep as a young player. 

Even without a full offseason, Cam should be able to get up to speed in a few weeks, even in a complex offense. Everything has it's wrinkles and terminology but the core knowledge is the same.

• Pie 2

37 minutes ago, ThPantherFan said:

I would like to see PJ start and mix Cam in a little more than last Sunday.  Now if PJ plummets, then Cam takes over.  Cam needs  time to learn the team.

You have to start Cam.  It’s the first game in Charlotte.   You can script an opening drive and then let him be variation of what he was this weekend (but bigger).    

give PJ some between the 20s work so a full playbook has to be defended.   

But Cam needs to be the starter.  And eventually he becomes the full time guy when he gets enough of the system down.  

But it would be incredibly dumb not to start him and let the energy take over to start that game Sunday.   It will be nuts.

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

55 minutes ago, CPcavedweller said:

Rivera is one of the best defensive coaches in the NFL, still. His decision making in personnel is suspect and the offenses are always behind the defense, except in 2015, but his defenses are usually great assuming he has even average personnel.

Rivera’s defenses at Carolina were, on average, squarely in the middle of the rankings.

He had a couple of top 5 defenses.

He had a couple of bottom 10.

All the others generally ranged between 12 and 20.

The defensive genius of MoRon is yet another made-up myth about his time in Carolina.

• Pie 1