• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ron Rivera sums up his and Cam’s Panthers tenure in one maddening sentence

Cary Kollins

40 minutes ago, KaseKlosed said:

He is also a better coach than Matt small pen Rhulle 

Based on what evidence?

Lest we forget, Ron Rivera was the coach of the 31st ranked defense here in Carolina two years ago.

Riveras' first two years in Carolina began with a defense ranked 26th and ended with one ranked 18th.  His offense began ranked 32nd and ended ranked 18th.  "Ok, I guess".  This while drafting and employing the most dynamic QB the league has seen.

Rhule began work with the 31st ranked defense and the 20th ranked offense.  Two years on we now have the 2nd ranked defense and 21st ranked offense.  This while making some serious mistakes at QB.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, MasterAwesome said:

I don't get why this is triggering so many people.  What Ron did to Cam is already done...that hate is justified.  But this just seems like him basically admitting his mistake in mishandling Cam. 

To me it's saying that he did not know how to handle Cam and no matter what he is going to stay away from great Qbs bc he can't handle the attention they get. Washington will not make it far under Ron. Cam experience has shell shocked him. In one way he is saying it's his fault, but not truly. He is not learning from the experience but running away. Wants no part of a star QB. Like it is bad and that's sad for any team that has him as a head coach. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

I feel bad for him. It’s not his fault he is a football dinosaur. It’s not that he won’t change it’s that he can’t or by the time it clicks it’s long over. He didn’t know how to handle cam and I won’t blame him for riding him. I will blame him for no oline, but cam and Rivera were a mismatch that never should’ve happened and that came from the top and should be fixed by the to…but he probably has no clue how to use the internet and is what him and JR bonded over.

• Flames 1

7 hours ago, NAS said:

For all the 'classy' things he says to the media, I will always resent and dislike Rivera because he rode Cam into the ground and turned a blind eye to injuries when Cam needed someone to protect him from himself.  

You can never ask the player to take himself out of the game, that's the coach's responsibility.  

I lost my respect for him as a coach when he didnt defend his quarterback who was taking cheap shots all season and decided to say "Hey If I was a player I probably would have hit him there too" after that Atlanta game.

• Pie 4
  • Flames 1

While Rivera does deserve some blame for how the back end of Newton's career has gone, I don't believe for a second injuries derailed Cam's career as much as you guys think it did. A lot of big name QBs have had season ending injuries only to come back and find themselves in a familiar situation or at least a "good situation" after their injured seasons...except Cam. Cam hasn't been given a fair chance to come back from his injured season the way Aaron Rodgers got too, Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, Dak Prescott, Ben Roethlisberger etc. ALL of these guys had pretty serious injuries at one point in their career. Now compare the situations they got to play into after their injured year and compare that to Cams last year. Has he been honestly given a fair chance to prove he's not damaged goods? The guy put up 3200 yards of offense 21 total tds 10 ints and 66% completion on 368 attempts with one of the worst supporting casts in NFL History and only 5 weeks to learn their system. It hasn't been anywhere close to the same as those other guys. And now he signs with a team halfway through the season to prove he can still play. What could have been had we never released him in the first place. Cam just needed a fair opportunity, hopefully it works out this time around

• Flames 1

12 hours ago, NAS said:

For all the 'classy' things he says to the media, I will always resent and dislike Rivera because he rode Cam into the ground and turned a blind eye to injuries when Cam needed someone to protect him from himself.  

You can never ask the player to take himself out of the game, that's the coach's responsibility.  

Amen to this. 

To be honest this also shows how much of a great character Cam Newton is. Imagine if Cam had a sliver of Steve Smith Sr. personality? He would would have done a Watson on us(minus the massages) and demanded a trade during his prime if not at the very least called to have Rivera fired and bring someone in who knows what they’re doing.

Cam must be a very patient guy to take the poo that was given to him while he was here.

Edited by firefox1234
  • Pie 2