• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

It may not be the QB . . .

BrianS

Another topic here got me thinking, and then digging.  We continue to see our QB's throwing interceptions left and right.  We are frustrated.  Understandable.

And I don't think it's on the QB anymore.  Let me show you what I dug up.

Last year, the Denver Broncos were the most intercepted team in the NFL.  Vic Fangio, HC.  Pat Shurmur, OC.  This year, the Broncos are the 10th *least* intercepted team in the NFL.  All while employing our castaway, Teddy Bridgewater at QB.

Last year, the Carolina Panthers were tied with the Jags as the 4th most intercepted team in the NFL.  Matt Rhule, HC, Joe Brady, OC.  This year, the Panthers the 2nd most intercepted team in the NFL.  Sam Darnold, PJ Walker, Cam Newton.  Doesn't matter.

We now have seen four QB's play in the Joe Brady system.  All of them have looked like turnover machines.  TB5 leaves, and he reverts to being the solid game manager he's always been.

We've been blaming our QB's for throwing picks, and I'm utterly unconvinced this is their fault.  Any of them.  Teddy is looking more credible by the day at this point.  😞

• Pie 6
  • Beer 4
  • Poo 1

I see your thought process.  Two things bout TB though. 

1. With us he seemed to be getting acclimated back into the league after a long injury hiatus.  A little rusty and gunshy. 

2. Reason for being a bit shaky is partly cause our oline is dogdoodoo. The Denver oline is young and talented.  Also they have a legit running game.  

I blame the coaches for the way they "addressed" the oline, the Darnold experiment and the lack of a committee approach to the running game.  All That wheeling and dealing in the draft and I'm the only one that thought AJ Dillon and an offensive lineman would have been useful?

• Pie 3

1 minute ago, KillerKat said:

I said in the gameday thread that every play all of our receivers are blanketed. Hardly ever open, but the opponents receivers are open what seems like almost every play. That's scheme and coaching.

Exactly. Even Shula could actually scheme guys open. Remember we played an entire year without even an average NFL receiver on the roster and we went 15-1.

• Pie 2

firing Brady was not going to be the quick fix.  You cant just change an offense thats already installed on the fly without confusing everyone.  Rhule and Nixon have to use the poo Brady installed until the end of the year because they have no choice.  They can try and alter it a little but thats it.  As you saw in that first drive, it was completed scripted.  Which is the big issue.  Rhule and company does not know how to play chess with other teams.  After their initial moves, they are unable to plan moves ahead.  That comes with experience and there is zero of that on this team.  experience teaches experience.  Rhule would have been better off brought in as a coordinator under the tuteledge of an experienced coach.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

33 minutes ago, Newbie said:

They are competitive right now. We are not. 

No they're not. They beat bad teams and wilt against good ones, just like their starting QB. They've benefitted from one of the easiest 2021 schedules to date.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/ranking/schedule-strength-by-other

Carolina's a dumpster fire for sure, but Teddy B sure isn't any kind of answer. Maybe Denver gets into the playoffs but as has been discussed as nauseum on here, being just good enough to sneak to the playoffs shouldn't be the objective.

Def not faulting any of the current qbs but even if we were to move on from Rhule, it’s going to be hard for any coach to want to come in and inherit this mess we have currently, he’s basically going to be spending his first season trying to fix what Rhule has already messed up by picking up sams option and trading picks for him and Henderson. 

we can only hope that this o line can be fixed adequately in one offseason and we can deal with the qb issue if there still is one the following season. It’s a cluster fug 

• Beer 1