• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

QB situation getting worse for the Panthers.

Zod

3 minutes ago, t96 said:

I'm not sure Seattle is more desirable than us right now. They are in clear blow it up rebuild mode and don't even have much draft capital and while Carroll is still around he'll almost certainly be retiring soon. Neither is a good situation but I can see someone like Watson preferring us over Seattle right now.

Seattle is more desirable because they are an organization and head coach that has been to the playoffs 9 out of the last 10 seasons vs Matt Rhule who couldn't even beat a ranked college team

• Pie 5
  • Flames 3

5 minutes ago, t96 said:

I'm not sure Seattle is more desirable than us right now. They are in clear blow it up rebuild mode and don't even have much draft capital and while Carroll is still around he'll almost certainly be retiring soon. Neither is a good situation but I can see someone like Watson preferring us over Seattle right now.

I don’t see how they’re more desirable either. All those picks they just received would be gone. They’d now be exactly where they were with Wilson minus another draft pick most likely.

Seattle is positioning themselves nicely to use their 1st rounder on a QB next season. Also would be able to trade up using Denver’s picks if need be

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

14 minutes ago, Zod said:

Now Seattle and Indy need QBs.

Both easily more desirable than Matt Rhule's Panthers. 

This ain't helping. We need to draft our prospect. 

I only think it hurts our chances at a vet QB (none of which seem like a great idea except Minshew IMO) - neither Seattle nor Indy have a 1st RD pick this year so if anything it takes a little pressure off us to reach and better opens the possibility of trading down.  

• Pie 1

8 minutes ago, t96 said:

I don't see why any legit QB would want to come to the Carolina Panthers in 2022.

1) Our offensive line is among the worst in the NFL.

2)Our offensive scheme has been one of the most predictable and unimaginitive in the league for the past two seasons.

3) Our best offensive player can't stay healthy and is rumored to be on the trading block.

4) We have few draft choices so we won't be able to draft all the players we need or move the picks for players.

5) Our receiving core has 1 legit starter at WR, and he's never had more than 4 TD's in a sesason.

6) And, you can make an argument that we have the worst HC in the league. Most of us on this board, and the pundits in the media, all agree that unless we have a miracle season or at least finish .500, Matt Rhule is pretty much a "dead man walking". He has a 50/50 chance of being fired by mid season. Whoever would  come here needs to consider that he'll probably be playing for a new regime in 2023.

Why would any good QB want to come here?

At Seattle has extra picks to begin a rebuild this offseason and DJ Metcalf  lining up at WR.

• Pie 5
  • Flames 1

No, we don't need to draft a QB

Just because we need one, doesn't mean we have to get one this year when they aren't the right QB at the draft position.

Taking a QB now just because we're in need of one, is more likely to set us back another 5 years than help propel us to be contenders.  Make the smart decision with an OT, spend wisely on FA, take our lumps this year, and make a run at a QB next year when we get back our full set of draft picks and possibly have a high pick of our own in the first as well.

Just look at all the teams that have tried to reach for a QB to fix the need when the player really shouldn't have been taken there, it doesn't work out and they're put into the vicious cycle that we're in now, where you try to fill that position every season and reach every time to do it (whether in the draft or through FA/Trade).

Point blank.... we're not contenders this year no matter what QB we get, and there isn't an elite QB option for the 6th pick in the draft.  So don't make a mistake, build the smart way, not the desperate way.

Edited by tukafan21
  • Pie 6
  • Beer 1

With this year's QB crop, it sure would be nice to have a second round pick.....say, #38.  They could grab a good LT in the first, then a QB in the second. 

I don't expect any of this year's crop to rip up the league for a couple of years, if any wind up doing so.  But our QB depth chart is a vast wasteland.  Even if the guy they wind up drafting is not the answer, there is a spot for him unless he is worse than PJ and Darnold, which might be an accomplishment.

But alas, we don't have a second round pick.  Or a third.  We could possibly get one in a trade down, but that means we have to find a team salivating over somebody enough to part with multiple picks for our #6.

Don't despair, though.  PT Barnum was right.....and probably an optimist.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 2