• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Florio: Panthers understand they have to give up 3 firsts, another pick, and 1-2 (Chinn, Burns, Brown, Horn)

Kraybrothers

4 hours ago, joemac said:

Football is the ultimate team sport. However you must have a great QB to do anything. Watson would check that box and we could move on to filling the other holes. Wtf is the alternative? Drafting a jabroni like Pickett or Willis? fug that. Get one of the best in the entire world and then build around him. I’m tired of all this bullshit. Just get it done. 

You do not need a great QB to get to the playoffs. History has proven this. You need a strong running game/short yardage passing game and OL to get through the season. You need a great defense to win a championship. The QB is the supercharger that gets you through the playoffs when a team matchups evenly with their running game and defense.

The QB does not get you to the playoffs. At most, they will have 3 to 5 game winning drives in a season, and average QBs have 2 game winning drives in the season. Great QBs like Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Joe Montana, and Johnny Unitas have game winning drives every season.

Watson has had 0 game winning drives in 2 of his 4 seasons. That is not great. He is 7-13 in games he has passed for more than 300 yards. The 7 wins were against teams that are not very impressive (Lions, Jags, 2020 Pats, Falcons, Colts). For comparison, Aaron Rodgers is 48-21 in games he throws for 300+ yards, and Peyton Manning is 61-32 in games he has thrown for 300+ yards. Cam Newton is 8-14 in games he has passed for 300+ yards. Which QB is he more like? Cam or Rodgers?

Cam and Watson are good - not great. Watson will disappoint if you think he is going to win against the great QBs in the playoffs. Watson, like Cam, needs a good defense and solid OL to win.

People are falling in love with the Watson fantasy. Go watch his games and not just his highlights. He struggles to compete against the good QBs in his own division. Luck, Rivers and Tannehill have winning records against Watson. Watson racked up his wins against Bortles, Minshew, Brissett, and Mariota. That's how he stacks up in his own division. Does he have a winning record against any good QB in the NFL he has faced at least 2 times? You can go look. The answer is NO. Against teams he has faced at least 2 times, Watson has a winning record against the Browns and the Jaguars.

If the Panthers get tied to him for the next 5+ seasons, I hope you are right and he starts showing some success. Seems that his track record makes him look extremely overrated and that DCs who prepare for Watson figure him out. The 2019 Panthers without Cam shut him down. Kuechly had Watson figured out quickly.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

Watson is not worth even close to this wanted ransom. He hasn't even played in a season so who knows if he lost it. Couple this with the fact that he is a first rate moron with some sort of severe sex problem he does not seem to be able to control and no need of him receiving therapy for it to control it makes me not interested in giving up even one first round pick for him. His weird sex problems will come back up and show it's ugly head again in a year or three. This guy is not worth anything even close to this. Let's get Cam back and keep Darnold on roster since we have to with his contract to fill out Rhule's last year then when we have a new coach give the new coach something to work with in terms of some first round draft choices and keep some of these impact players we need. Giving up this much for Deshaun "Happy Ending" Watson is insanity. When he played he was not even the best in the league. Forget this and move on please! This is though the exact idiot move Rhule would make to cripple this team for years to come while he is on his way out the door.

• Pie 2
  • Flames 1

Yeah, good luck with that Houston.  If the Panther do that...oh man...  That could be a franchise killer.

Not just the PR, but you would take away all the assets to build around Watson with his expensive cap number.  Not a good move.  Why would Watson want to come and play for a coach for a season?  No.  If Watson has to make a choice, figure out how to get the Steelers to pony up the assets.

Watson has some serious legal issues that are going to start to get heard as well as all the civil cases.  Watson has some bad personal decision making.  @CPantherKing made some really important points about Watson's wins and decision making.  He might be more hype than anything at this point, after sitting for a year.

Hopefully, we don't go down that rabbit hole and make those mistakes.  I'm fully on the roll with Darnold and clean house for 2023.  

• Pie 3

This is franchise suicide. If they gave up HALF this much for a player in his situation it would raise my eyebrow. Are they serious? Are we seriously entertaining this? Let them hold him another inactive season and see how that changes his price. My goodness we are bidding against ourselves. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

16 minutes ago, d-dave said:

I'm fully on the roll with Darnold and clean house for 2023.  

Roll with Darnold and heavily invest in the D to make it the best in the NFL. I'm ok with that. Move offensive pieces like CMC, DJ Moore, and Robby Anderson and stock that D.

I'm hoping for the miracle season approach by rolling the dice on an unknown QB who will stare down the blitz, and give him one season to prove he deserves to stay. Go pass heavy by drafting a rookie WR with the 6th pick to feature with CMC, Abdullah, Moore, Anderson, and Zylstra. Spread the ball around and don't let CMC carry the load. Use CMC like a Marshall Faulk or Ladanian Tomlinson. The Panthers are set up offensively to do this.

Unfortunately, I think Rhule and Fitt are going to treat the season like a 3rd act of building a team like it's Rhule's first season. Disaster with a lame duck coach.

1 minute ago, Vagrant said:

This is franchise suicide. If they gave up HALF this much for a player in his situation it would raise my eyebrow. Are they serious? Are we seriously entertaining this? Let them hold him another inactive season and see how that changes his price. My goodness we are bidding against ourselves. 

People acting like we going somewhere this year why not get him and build around him he’s 26. Damn