• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Correct team structure has started. Now what?

lightsout

So it took a while, but we've started building this team correctly. OL and QB start, then you build around that. What comes next?

Not screwing them up. We have to develop Icky and Corral correctly and not ask more of them than they can realistically offer right now. This team is still shaky if only because of the moves on the roster and the system changes between Rhule arriving and now. We need to develop our youth correctly and let the rest of the pieces come together. It's literally what New England has done. Peripheral pieces on offense can be plug and play provided they are just good enough. Defensively, you have to get pressure and you have to stop the run. If you do that, you can get creative to cover up defincies. Fortunately, I like our skill one the corners, safety is still a TBD situation but we're no worse now than we have been, at a minimum.

This team can compete within the next couple of years if Rhule's staff can develop young guys. If not, you'll see the product we saw last year over and over. I'm banking on this being Tepper's thought process, which is why I don't think this is a make it or break it year for Rhule. He gets through next season provided we don't go winless. Scary thought, but I don't see him getting the axe without the chance to show he can develop guys across a couple years.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

I agree.  Also I think the addition of Xavier Woods at S on defense will help shore that up, and we have a couple promising youngsters for the other position.  Still have a massive, gaping hole at LB...not sure what they're gonna do there, as Brandon Smith likely will not be ready to start anytime soon.  Defense should be good though with getting Horn back, hopefully CJ can make a jump and we know what we have in Donte Jackson.  

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

I think our roster is full of solid young potential, but we are still far from competing for a superbowl. Look at the rosters of perennial contenders? Rams roster is full of All Pro and Pro Bowl talent. Bengals overachieved last year but still had foundational talent in Burrow, Chase, and Mixon. The only pro bowl talent we had was Burns last year, CMC IF he is healthy. If these players are not achieving personal accolades, they are not being developed. 

It is so much of a better spot than we could have done with a Watson trade or even Picket in the 1st. It is a really good spot to build from, IMO the best option of the 3 by far. 

There has been some additions and some subtractions, in the end I think we gained long term but I don't know if the D will be as good or better than last year. That would require more than 1 player to improve a lot from where they were last year. That is just what I see, lots of upside but not production...yet. Happy to see what happens. No more blah vet QBs or old and injured prone LTs (or Erving who was just plain bad). Huge step forward. 

• Pie 5
  • Beer 1

Ditto to Xavier Woods being an important signing.  I really like that we brought him in on a multi-year deal. We've secured some time now with Horn, Jackson, Chinn, Woods, Henderson, & Taylor all in the secondary.  That's a crew. 

I think there's 3 huuge pieces to bring in regardless of Corral working out or not:

-A playmaker WR (or) TE

I look around the league and what makes me more jealous than not having the Burrows of the world is just that.  The Kupp, Diggs Chase, Kittle, Kelce type that really elevates the offense.  DJ is great but we need a true outside X to compliment him or a TE that's a fixture a la Kittle/Kelce/Gronk.  It's a league driven by offense.  We've done a lot of work to the line, this is critical and the next step.   

-A difference maker DL

Burns is a solid piece and will be even more so if he becomes a better run blocker (this year will tell us if he can make that leap).  BUT we absolutely need a 3-down, multi-tech lineman that can push an OL immediately in the other direction without us blitzing.  I feel we haven't had that since ~2014 CJ/GH's prime.  

-A smart & quick MLB 

It doesn't need to be Keuchly, but you know, if they can clone him and accelerate the aging process that's cool too.  

• Pie 5
  • Beer 1

28 minutes ago, 4Corners said:

No QB 

Incompetent HC who is in over his head

nothing matters until these two are fixed. 

Dude that's the predraft narrative. It's post draft now where hope springs eternal. Go back in your hole until about week 4, please.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

4 hours ago, joemac said:

I agree.  Also I think the addition of Xavier Woods at S on defense will help shore that up, and we have a couple promising youngsters for the other position.  Still have a massive, gaping hole at LB...not sure what they're gonna do there, as Brandon Smith likely will not be ready to start anytime soon.  Defense should be good though with getting Horn back, hopefully CJ can make a jump and we know what we have in Donte Jackson.  

Didn't we sign 2 LBs to fill the space until we can properly address the positions? Wilson and Littleton? They should at least be better than what we had last season, no? 

2 hours ago, davos said:

Ditto to Xavier Woods being an important signing.  I really like that we brought him in on a multi-year deal. We've secured some time now with Horn, Jackson, Chinn, Woods, Henderson, & Taylor all in the secondary.  That's a crew. 

I think there's 3 huuge pieces to bring in regardless of Corral working out or not:

-A playmaker WR (or) TE

I look around the league and what makes me more jealous than not having the Burrows of the world is just that.  The Kupp, Diggs Chase, Kittle, Kelce type that really elevates the offense.  DJ is great but we need a true outside X to compliment him or a TE that's a fixture a la Kittle/Kelce/Gronk.  It's a league driven by offense.  We've done a lot of work to the line, this is critical and the next step.   

-A difference maker DL

Burns is a solid piece and will be even more so if he becomes a better run blocker (this year will tell us if he can make that leap).  BUT we absolutely need a 3-down, multi-tech lineman that can push an OL immediately in the other direction without us blitzing.  I feel we haven't had that since ~2014 CJ/GH's prime.  

-A smart & quick MLB 

It doesn't need to be Keuchly, but you know, if they can clone him and accelerate the aging process that's cool too.  

I don't think we can ignore the interior line either. We have some additions but we could be perilously thin at guard and center. While I'm all for getting top tier talent, I wouldn't mind moving our 1st for a couple 2nds and 3rds just to be able to fill in some of the less showy spots with the top talent that usually falls into that area.  

4 hours ago, lightsout said:

So it took a while, but we've started building this team correctly. OL and QB start, then you build around that. What comes next?

Not screwing them up. We have to develop Icky and Corral correctly and not ask more of them than they can realistically offer right now. This team is still shaky if only because of the moves on the roster and the system changes between Rhule arriving and now. We need to develop our youth correctly and let the rest of the pieces come together. It's literally what New England has done. Peripheral pieces on offense can be plug and play provided they are just good enough. Defensively, you have to get pressure and you have to stop the run. If you do that, you can get creative to cover up defincies. Fortunately, I like our skill one the corners, safety is still a TBD situation but we're no worse now than we have been, at a minimum.

This team can compete within the next couple of years if Rhule's staff can develop young guys. If not, you'll see the product we saw last year over and over. I'm banking on this being Tepper's thought process, which is why I don't think this is a make it or break it year for Rhule. He gets through next season provided we don't go winless. Scary thought, but I don't see him getting the axe without the chance to show he can develop guys across a couple years.

I only give out pie, but I made an exception.  I'll cheers you instead, because by my calculations a good pie is worth about $15.00 and a decent beer $5.00....so cheers I liked your post until the bolded.

And for that, we shall agree to disagree.  Cheers.

• Beer 1