• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Let's talk about our Defense

Horn was looking 100% legit before his injury. assuming no issues with that, I expect he will make a huge impact.

I do anticipate another signing. Fitterer brought up the idea of a DE/5 technique player being a potential add earlier in free agency, so Clowney is a potential move, or someone who does the same kind of things.

I've been watching some tape on Brandon Smith, and I think he's quite a bit away from being a rotational LB. maybe training camp does the job to get him there, but I doubt it honestly.

The defense is not as good as the homers would have you think. It is a liability until proven otherwise as far as I'm concerned. 

The pass rush is still a weakness.  The LB position is still in question and there's little depth outside CB.

I'm not getting my hopes up.

• Pie 1

Top shelf defenses almost always have more than one highly effective pass rusher. There is nothing to suggest anyone besides Burns is likely to fit this description this year. Our secondary could be top shelf, but the linebacking corps seems overall pedestrian (something I'm fine with for the moment btw, given our huge needs in areas much more relevant to winning), and looking at our DL overall, it does look promising, but I'm not ready to label it top shelf just yet. Let's see how they actually play.

Our defense can be exploited just like most of the other defenses in the NFL. When we go big teams throw on us, and when we go small to rush the passer teams run it. The QB just looks at who we have or sub out there and he makes an audible to attack our package. Trying to build some mega perfect defense is just fools gold. We could spend more 1st round picks on defense and still be exploited.

It's 2022. You win with your QB for the most part. The offense needs to be humming all game long. Hunkering down and hoping to slow down top teams and win is just a pipe dream.

Edited by pantherj
  • Pie 2