• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Another former Gettleman WR disappointment tries to resurrect his career as a TE

AceMan

People calling Funchess soft must have forgotten about him playing with a broken arm and routinely running crossing routes and taking big shots over the middle. He did his best work with the hospital balls. Where I hated him though was his work ethic and lazy routes. Dude was down right horrible at anything that needed attention to detail and finesse. 

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, ColumbusCounty said:

If I'm not mistaken wasnt he like a top 1-3 TE coming out of college and we converted him to WR??. 

Funchess was bad at times but I would still probably take him over Ian Thomas as a pass catching TE.

Played his last year in college as a WR. Big Ten's TE of the Year before that.   

Edited by MechaZain

2 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

I'd argue the OL was more responsible in the end. And, honestly, Cam was responsible too. 

It was just a clusterfug all around. Even the defense wasn’t as good as some are lead to believe outside the magical season. And yea, I remember the year where for the first 6 games they tried to push Cam to be more traditional and he looked like absolute trash until they took off the leash finally. I think Cam held himself back relying on skills that wouldn’t last and didn’t bother to learn technique. Or wasn’t able. Or wasn’t pushed enough. Either way.

I think the biggest issue was an old school coach with new school talent.

Rivera absolutely loved hard nosed football where you rely on a few big time stars to do everything and that’s it.  One injury to them and things crumbled. Just like Fox. Forget about scheme and adjustment, let the best man win. It’s why they don’t take risks and always side with vets. Great for a lucky flash in the pan season, but not sustainable. Success with that mantra is always short lived now days. Always.

Personally I see it as lazy coaching. A weakness really. It won’t always fail but it will never be consistent in this decade.  I really believe had the coaching been above average and forward thinking (like a Peyton, McCvay even BB) where a balanced team was priority, the 2015 season wouldn’t have just been lightning in a bottle. But those coaches are hard to find for a reason.

• Beer 2