• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ranking the 5 Worst Defenses of 2022

Ricky Spanish

YGM development will be huge.  Burns, Brown, Ioan, and YGM could be a solid front IF and it is a big IF YGM turns out to be solid.  I think getting him minutes vs Reddick plus our LBs have been upgraded slightly should help our run defense.  Our pass could be better if Chinn is more of a SS/Box safety and Woods goes to FS.  A whole lot of "ifs" I know...

2 hours ago, PootieNunu said:

We werent even great in coverage last year. Horn could be a stud, Jackson is average, Henderson needs to develop or he will get picked on again. 

I have some hope for YGM if he can stay healthy,  Brown needs to have a monster season or its about time to be thinking about moving on from him, Vernon butler 2.0.

Burns needs to be play with discipline and quit making a b line for the QB on every damn play.

All and all, I dont have high hopes for the D, Snow is also average at best as a DC.

Corner argument agreed! 

YGM sentiment agreed!

I'm not as down on Brown as much as many here are. He definitely has underperformed his draft spot but I'm still holding out hope he turns into KK 2.0 production wise in year three. Also as it stands right now imo he's miles ahead of Vernon Butler in every category. 

As for Burns, I think I remember Snow saying in a presser that that was all they asked for him to do for the most part. Wish I could find the exact quote but it wasn't far off. Hopefully he puts that part of his game together though.  

1 minute ago, ColumbusCounty said:

Corner argument agreed! 

YGM sentiment agreed!

I'm not as down on Brown as much as many here are. He definitely has underperformed his draft spot but I'm still holding out hope he turns into KK 2.0 production wise in year three. Also as it stands right now imo he's miles ahead of Vernon Butler in every category. 

As for Burns, I think I remember Snow saying in a presser that that was all they asked for him to do for the most part. Wish I could find the exact quote but it wasn't far off. Hopefully he puts that part of his game together though.  

Well thats not hard to believe, Snow isnt much smarter than Rhule. 

30 minutes ago, stbugs said:

How do you get great in coverage? Let’s be honest, Horn has played 3 games. I hope he lives up to potential and let’s say he does, where’s the rest of the great in coverage?

If the front 7 don’t pick it up, we don’t have a strong enough secondary to not get exposed.

67% TD rate in red zone D? That’s atrocious and just think back to how hot the D started in weeks 1-3. We were probably worst in red zone D after week 3.

9 total interceptions and that's 2 from Gilmore who didn't require coaching, and 2 from Shaq (Z Wilson and Matt Ryan both threw right at him). The combination of that with the D-line possibly getting worse doesn't have me too excited. 

• Pie 3
  • Beer 3

The defense had far less talent in 2020 and still managed to finish in the top 20. How can anyone possibly think a bottom-5 finish for the defense is likely? 

I'm not saying we'll be great or anything but I'd be shocked if the defense was one of the 5 worst in the league.

• Pie 2

3 hours ago, Pejorative Miscreant said:

Secondary might be great in coverage but my worry is the front 7 and getting demolished by the run.  If that happens, Chinn or Jackson will have to be tackling machines.  
hopefully YGM and Brown both take steps forward. 

3 hours ago, PootieNunu said:

We werent even great in coverage last year. Horn could be a stud, Jackson is average, Henderson needs to develop or he will get picked on again. 

I have some hope for YGM if he can stay healthy,  Brown needs to have a monster season or its about time to be thinking about moving on from him, Vernon butler 2.0.

Burns needs to be play with discipline and quit making a b line for the QB on every damn play.

All and all, I dont have high hopes for the D, Snow is also average at best as a DC.

1 hour ago, stbugs said:

How do you get great in coverage? Let’s be honest, Horn has played 3 games. I hope he lives up to potential and let’s say he does, where’s the rest of the great in coverage?

If the front 7 don’t pick it up, we don’t have a strong enough secondary to not get exposed.

67% TD rate in red zone D? That’s atrocious and just think back to how hot the D started in weeks 1-3. We were probably worst in red zone D after week 3.

Apologies for the poor wording.  "Great" is definitely an inappropriate term.  Decent, improved, or even "void of complete ass clownery" would have been better suited regarding what I expect out of the secondary.  The point I was trying to make (rather poorly) is that I'm more worried about the front 7.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

We won't be able to stop the run at all this season.... you could tell that from mini camp (which is a terrible sign w/o pads) and the holes were massive. Not as good as a defense as some on here think. Definitely below average, but a ton of young studs that will grow together and with more draft picks and salary space we can become great quick, but specifically for this year we will struggle. For those of you that think Ianaidis, Haynes and Luvu can stop the run you are crazy.