• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Baker Mayfield is a Carolina Panther

uncfan888

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

We were literally negotiating this trade at the time we drafted Corral.

You have an immediate starter on a one-year deal for minimal cash and a rookie who gets to sit back and learn.

Speaking as someone who cares neither for Baker Mayfield nor Matt Rhule, I can objectively say that's not a bad arrangement.

You obviously think Baker is going to be bad. That's the only way you can come to this conclusion.

The "good fan" in me, the one that wants to see long term success... hates this move.

The "bad fan" in me, the one that was created when we hired Hurney for the 2nd time, that wants to see this franchise crash and burn... loves this move.  

• Poo 3

Just now, t96 said:

This guy literally won a playoff game for the Cleveland Browns... The same Cleveland Browns who had like 30 starting QBs in the last 20 years. A million times better than Darnold and for just $5M and a conditional 5th. Phenomenal trade. Now just cut Sam and roll with Baker and Corral. No phony bullshit "competition" with Sam.

Yeah I don’t know how people are comparing him to Sam.  Sam’s never played a full 16/17 game season or topped 20 TDs.  He hasn’t even topped 10 touchdowns in the last two years.  

Baker broke the rookie TD passing record while missing two games (and shredding us in 2018, idk if people have forgotten).  He’s played 16 games a season 2/4 years (missed 2 games his rookie year and missed 2 last year).  People are grasping at straws to be mad about something

• Pie 4

I'm sorry fellas after the last two years I have no desire to sit through and watch us tank for the "next great qb." I applaud the Baker move and I'm one of the biggest Corral homers around. Let him sit for a year, learn McAdoo's playbook and just digest it all. Rushing Matt out does nothing to help him out. Yes he's got first round talent and first round leadership. Let the dude learn for a bit and get his feet wet before we throw him into the fire.

And if Baker balls out and we make the playoffs (NFC is pretty weak this year overall) then we just got an Oceans Eleven style heist by getting him. 

• Pie 3
  • Beer 2

2 minutes ago, Tr3ach said:

Lots of qbs sit and learn their first season.  Especially mid round picks.  If he doesnt learn anything all season because he is hypothetically getting less reps then hes probably not going to be the answer anyways.

Projected 2022 NFL Starters who played more than 10 games in their rookie season: Trevor, Mac Jones, Murray, Dak, Matt Ryan, Derek Carr, Winston, Tannehill, Wentz, Herbert, Z. Wilson, Russ, Mariota, Daniel Jones,  Trubisky, Allen, Burrow, Stafford, Fields, Mayfield (or Darnold -- both started more than 10 their rookie year, only counting one of them).

20 of 32 starting QBSs in the NFL started more than 10 games their rookie season.

3 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

We were literally negotiating this trade at the time we drafted Corral.

You have an immediate starter on a one-year deal for minimal cash and a rookie who gets to sit back and learn.

Speaking as someone who cares neither for Baker Mayfield nor Matt Rhule, I can objectively say that's not a bad arrangement.

I get what you are saying I really do, however you are creating a headache, not just by bring in this headcase to the looker room but what do you do if he wins say 7-8-9 games?  Whats the plan then?

Edit to say:  If he makes the playoffs I would eat the biggest helping of crow ever on this board but come on we all know that aint happening

Edited by mrcompletely11
  • Pie 2

17 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Care to give an example of a third rounder that sat and developed?  Cousins is the only one that comes to mind and that was a long time ago.  However I can think of Dak, Russell and Carr that were drafted in the 2nd or 3rd and could come in and play right off the bat.  If they can play they can play, sitting a qb is a strategy from yesteryear

Drew Brees was a 2nd rounder that sat his 1st year and he still struggled his 2nd year. Mike Vick sat almost an entire year as a 1st overall.  3rd round next to Carr maybe Matt Schaub is the best example.  He sat most of his rookie year till Vick got hurt and went on to start as an NFL QB.

No doubt that playing a QB right away is more of a product of HCs feeling the need to produce quickly or get canned.  Its not because thats what best for the player.   

Edited by CBDellinger

1 minute ago, Carl Spackler said:

I don't dislike Baker. Seems like a cool dude. I have wondered for a while what it'd be like to actually win a few games in the fall and winter. Maybe he can do that.

I mean he's no Will Grier but worth a shot right?

12 minutes ago, CanadianCat said:

Well... Winning 9 games is better than 5 games. Math!

yep..prior to Mayfield 3 wins...we can win 9 best case... we have to get the taste of dick out of our mouth at some point...

Edited by Pimpdaddy

33 minutes ago, Call Me James said:

I think Baker will do well here. He shaved his contract so he's probably got a gentlemans agreement that if he does well this season we will give him the big bag.

He's getting paid the same as Sam. The Panthers are paying 5 mil and Cleveland pays the rest. He isn't giving us some kind of discount.