• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Will the run defense hold up?

Jmac

They got shredded last year in many games. Just not stout enough to hold their ground. All the speed in the world won't help if you can't stop the running game. Sure the offense may be better, but I don't see how the run defense has improved enough to make a difference. Thoughts?

• Pie 3
  • Beer 3

The factors for me...

Personnel acquisition prior to this offseason was skewed to the defensive side of the ball.

Defensive player acquisition has tended to emphasize speed over power.

Rhule and Snow basically built a defense that was heavily geared toward defending the pass.

Defense looked good early but once teams figured out they could run on us, it fell apart.

Not sure if Snow tried any major changes or adjustments, but if he did, it didn't show.

Bottom Line for me: What defensive improvement we've seen is probably due to the personnel emphasis, but the coaching and scheme have been lacking.

Not sure that changes this year.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 2

8 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

The factors for me...

Personnel acquisition prior to this offseason was skewed to the defensive side of the ball.

Defensive player acquisition has tended to emphasize speed over power.

Rhule and Snow basically built a defense that was heavily geared toward defending the pass.

Defense looked good early but once teams figured out they could run on us, it fell apart.

Not sure if Snow tried any major changes or adjustments, but if he did, it didn't show.

Bottom Line for me: What defensive improvement we've seen is probably due to the personnel emphasis, but the coaching and scheme have been lacking.

Not sure that changes this year.

during the game against Dallas, the cowboys came out of half time utilizing heavy personnels (6 offensive linemen, 2 or 3 tight ends) while Snow tried to defend that with nickel and dime packages to stop their run.

• Pie 1

No. But with a little more offense, the opposing teams won't be able to run as much as they did last year. They will have to pass more which plays into our defenses strength. Interestingly, our defense was ranked 9th best last year in rushing yards per attempt.

Edited by Luciu5
  • Pie 3

46 minutes ago, Dave Gettleman's Shorts said:

during the game against Dallas, the cowboys came out of half time utilizing heavy personnels (6 offensive linemen, 2 or 3 tight ends) while Snow tried to defend that with nickel and dime packages to stop their run.

Yep, and every team Carolina faces in 2022 is going to test the defense's ability to stop the run.  Especially in the second half by teams holding a lead trying to run out the clock.  It will never end until the Panthers demonstrate they can consistently stop other teams from running the ball down their throats.

I'm not sure anything meaningful has been done during the off season to address this glaring weakness.  Personnel wise, the Panthers may have even less talent capable of stopping the run this coming season.

Scary. 

Missing gap assignments killed us last year in the run game.  Reddick was the biggest offender.  

I think moving Chinn to SS and allowing him to play in the box will help a ton.  Luvu will also be better than Reddick against the run.  Hopefully we see a decent improvement 

• Beer 1