• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cam was never the same since…..

TheBigKat

1 hour ago, TheBigKat said:

Not often do you see a league MVP and all world talent just fall off a cliff and it’s sad to see.

Many will point to the SB as the event that Cam was never the same. For me it was November 8, 2018. 

I was at that Steelers game, team was flying to PIT 6-2 and Cam started that season COOKING. CMC was a stud, this team had a fast start

Go up early against the Steelers 7-0 and I’m like here this team goes, we got this.

Costly turnovers and the Steelers D. Cam was sacked 5 times one of which I feel that TJ Watt basically finished off Cam’s shoulder. Team went on to finished 7-9 from a 6-2 start and Cam was never the same since

This is why i hate TJ Watt.

This just increased my hatred for that franchise.

We always play poorly against this team outside of 1996.

That game exposed both Ron and our overall franchise for who we were.

1 hour ago, MillionDollarCam said:

Odd post but it started well before that, Benjamin started the job and Watt finished it off.

Cam has mentioned multiple times that he didn’t feel fully healthy until a couple of years later. I believe his exact words were that he felt like a “wounded dog”. If you fast forward a couple of years from 2016, you get to 2018… where Watt finished Cam off for good. Unfortunately shoulder injures can provide pain and clicking well after they are technically healed (personal experience).

Benjamin was a fat lazy fug, but also screw the refs for not calling it down immediately as it obviously was.

• Pie 1

42 minutes ago, MillionDollarCam said:

Cam stated himself that he had been getting shoulder treatment (presumably pain treatment among other things) for a shoulder injury that he suffered in the second half of the 2018 season (that lines up with the Steelers game).

Additionally, there’s quite a bit a man can do when he’s on some good pain medicine so it’s silly to believe that just because he had a good game after the Watt incident that he wasn’t hurt. Hell, McCaffrey has had god-like games himself while playing on one leg.

Bottom line is that Cam hurt his shoulder pretty badly against the Steelers and like Cam always did, he played through the injury. He was shutdown with a couple of games left in the season and then had surgery, the issue was much worse than realized and he also had to have a clean up surgery. Since then his true velocity has been gone.

He stopped participate fully in training after the Philly game which was a few weeks before the Steelers game. So the problem was already there.

He should probably never had started the season and taken a year off. Done more rehabilitation or an earlier procedure of cleaning that scar tissue or whatever he did later.

14 minutes ago, kass said:

He stopped participate fully in training after the Philly game which was a few weeks before the Steelers game. So the problem was already there.

He should probably never had started the season and taken a year off. Done more rehabilitation or an earlier procedure of cleaning that scar tissue or whatever he did later.

I’m just taking what Cam said as verbatim, he stated his treatment was for a shoulder injury that was suffered in the second half of the 2018 season.

Another few quotes from Cam indicate that he’d been battling shoulder discomfort since the game against the Chargers in 2016.

See below.

"I'm healthy," Newton is seen saying in September 2020. "The last time I've been healthy, that I can document, honestly, (was) 2016 and '17. That's just a fact. After that damn San Diego game -- we played the San Diego Chargers, (and) I reached out and I dove (after) I threw an interception, I messed up my AC joint. And ever since then, bro, it's just been a part of me that's been like a wounded dog, like a wounded lion all over the place. Not right. I feel good at times, but when I'm running, I still feel it.”

So in reality you are probably right, Cam should have sat out much longer than he did. It might have just been an incident where his shoulder truly never healed from San Diego and while the initial surgery may have been successful, the fact that there was scar tissue there when they went back in years later could mean that he didn’t properly heal the first time.

Oh well, as Cam would say, hindsight is 50/50.

Edited by MillionDollarCam

31 minutes ago, RumHam said:

This is why i hate TJ Watt.

This just increased my hatred for that franchise.

We always play poorly against this team outside of 1996.

That game exposed both Ron and our overall franchise for who we were.

The way Richardson cupped that organization's balls always pissed me off too.  They absolutely poo on us every time we played, filled our stadium up with their disgusting fans sweating ranch dressing and nacho cheese, and for the coup de grace ruined the best quarterback we've ever had.

• Pie 1

14 minutes ago, The NFL Shield At Midfield said:

The way Richardson cupped that organization's balls always pissed me off too.  They absolutely poo on us every time we played, filled our stadium up with their disgusting fans sweating ranch dressing and nacho cheese, and for the coup de grace ruined the best quarterback we've ever had.

Sad Schitts Creek GIF by CBC

• Pie 2

You can't use your franchise QB as a battering ram from day 1 and expect a long career from him. Hundreds of hits add up, even if your name is Cam Newton. It was always being brought up that RB careers are over by 30 with a few rare exceptions. They get beaten and battered and fall apart. We didn't have a RB so we used Cam. We had an inept OC, so we used Cam. We put everything on Cam and well, his body broke. Sorry, but this falls squarely onto the shoulders of Ron Rivera. 

Much has been said about the Watt hit which yeah it had an impact. But the accumulated hits from those highlight plays of him running the football are the most consequential reason why things got so bad so suddenly. It has to serve as a very tough lesson for the franchise. When you get a star QB you protect him even if it means saving him from himself sometimes too.