• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Corral assessment from Simms

NAS

5 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

Since you didn't catch the obvious reference to our situation being somewhat unique let's be clear. What is happening this year is unique to us and our situation alone so comparing Corral to other rookies on other teams or debating about whether this was fair or usual is irrelevant and a waste of time and words.  We had plans to develop Corral and in fact picked him as insurance if we didn't get Baker. But when we got Baker so late as we did, plans changed and developing Baker became a priority. We also had to make sure Darnold was ready to play in the event it took Baker more time to learn the obvious complex playbook.  The whole competition thing was overblown and coach talk. So the only complaint was why play PJ so much and my thoughts are that when they saw that Corral knew virtually nothing about a pro offense including taking snaps from center, having different drops, calling protections etc. they already planned to stash and develop him. They put him out in games for his own edification not in the likelihood that he would see the field this year. Redshirting will be the best thing for him. I do wish he could get snaps with the practice squad and by going on IR I don't think he can practice. But the notion you need to.invest tons of snaps in a third or 4th qb  is crazy when you are teaching your complex brand new system to the starter and backup  and you have weeks not months.

Dude paragraphs

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Interesting you should say that...

Apparently Josh Klein said something on WFNZ.

Didn't hear it myself so I don't know what he said exactly.

Matt Rhule has had a chance though. 

I mean year 2 of Matt Rhule IMO is one of the top 10 shitshow seasons by a HC of the last decade.  It just happened to coincide the same year as the #1 place holder named Urban. 

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, 4Corners said:

Again, out of all the rookie QBs I watched this preseason - he was the least impressive. The game and moment looked to big for him and he was always just running around.  I know the OL didn’t help but the other QBs I watched were playing with and against scrubs as well. 

probably the worst possible start for his career here we could have asked for and if he has substance abuse issues they are gonna get tested this year with him on the bench. 

also should have drafted Sam Howell 

Yes Howell has looked good and it’s not like he’s got great offensive minds in Washington 

• Pie 4

11 minutes ago, CRA said:

Matt Rhule has had a chance though. 

I mean year 2 of Matt Rhule IMO is one of the top 10 shitshow seasons by a HC of the last decade.  It just happened to coincide the same year as the #1 place holder named Urban. 

I about choked on my tongue last night when I read somebody post that he had more wins his first two years than Jimmy Johnson.  Yes, he did, true enough.  The difference is Johnson took over a 3-13 team, led them to 1-15 his first year and turned them into a 7-9 team in year two and won Coach of the Year in doing so.  We know where it went from there. 

Rhule took a 5 win team, led them to 5 wins in his first year and took them to......a 5 win team in his second, and they looked significantly less competitive in year two.  Rhule either establishes an upward trajectory this year or Tepper needs to put an end to "the process."

I can also see a scenario where he does not shake out of this, but he just restrains himself enough to not undo what the coaches around him are doing to achieve wins.  Sort of Barry Switzer Lite.  Not sure why we would continue to pay him $8.5M a year to NOT screw things up, but that is Tepper's call.

And you are not giving Meyer enough credit.  He was not just the mere #1 place holder.  He is probably the #1 NFL buffoon of all times.  All future coaching debacles will be judged against him.

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, 4Corners said:

Again, out of all the rookie QBs I watched this preseason - he was the least impressive. The game and moment looked to big for him and he was always just running around.  I know the OL didn’t help but the other QBs I watched were playing with and against scrubs as well. 

probably the worst possible start for his career here we could have asked for and if he has substance abuse issues they are gonna get tested this year with him on the bench. 

also should have drafted Sam Howell 

It was a whiff, but it will likely take another year for most fans to admit it and/or realize it.

2 hours ago, RJK said:

His arm is average and he was getting caught from behind by 3rd and 4th string LB/DL. He’s not a bust and might be a decent backup but simms really sold it like he had Rodgers arm. And fans bought it. 

All you have to do is simply read scouting reports. Your take on his arm is pure bullshit.

Just now, frankw said:

Simms like the rest of these "analysts" go whichever way the wind blows. This should be reason to stop putting much stock in what this guy has to say about QB's moving forward

Yea on some things, but he's pretty original when it comes to college QB rankings.  Feels like he's going ahead and eating some crow here.  Which tells you what he thinks of Corral's tape so far.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

Yea on some things, but he's pretty original when it comes to college QB rankings.  Feels like he's going ahead and eating some crow here.  Which tells you what he thinks of Corral's tape so far.

Well, his tape wasn't good. But, it's not like the kid was put into a position to succeed. I'd argue to the contrary. 

We'll really only know what Corral can do when he's not treated as an afterthought. 

• Pie 1

Hey look guys. Drafting Corral allowed us to tell Cleveland "if you don't like our deal,  we'll roll with the kid."  Never intended to. It was always Baker. 

If we make a playoff run,  it was all worth it. Let's wait and see before endlessly debating rep count. 

• Pie 2

31 minutes ago, ClawOn said:

Hey look guys. Drafting Corral allowed us to tell Cleveland "if you don't like our deal,  we'll roll with the kid."  Never intended to. It was always Baker. 

If we make a playoff run,  it was all worth it. Let's wait and see before endlessly debating rep count. 

I mean, yeah, Corral was most certainly a pawn, intended or not. 

He became an afterthought as soon as Baker was signed.  

5 hours ago, RJK said:

His arm is average and he was getting caught from behind by 3rd and 4th string LB/DL. He’s not a bust and might be a decent backup but simms really sold it like he had Rodgers arm. And fans bought it. 

Don’t bother. People around here think he’s a savior/franchise QB for whatever reason. Desperation maybe. Don’t watch much outside of the Panthers maybe. But it’s dumb.

Corral is not talented enough to shake NFL guys, even back ups. This isn’t college, and that’s the truth.

Hopefully he will turn into a solid backup over time if he puts in the work so the Panthers can find their guy. If he does he will be worth where he was picked. 

• Beer 1