• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

QB1 Competition was never close

TheCasillas

30 minutes ago, rayzor said:

pains me to say it...but it was the right call handling it the way they did.

just having the gig handed to him on a silver platter wouldn't have played over as well as letting him "compete" for the job and assert himself as the bona fide leader of the offense. i mean probably everyone "knew" that this would be the outcome and sure, it was just a show, but i think it was probably better for the team to see him work for it at the risk of missing reps. confidence gained in baker outweighs the reps he missed out to sammy in the show.  he will get the needed reps soon enough, but he'll get more out of the other guys in those reps because of the confidence they have in him.

all that said...i'm still not sold on baker overall but it doesn't matter if i am as long as the guys around him is and once they get into actual game situations they'll find out soon enough if that confidence is misplaced or not.

I've never had a problem handing someone the reigns and telling them, if you want to keep it, work for it. To the guy under him, if you want it, take it. It does away with the bullshit and they still drive each other to be better.

The ultimate goal is Super Bowl trophy. So 1st or 2nd string, it's all important. Hoisting the Lombardi takes 53 players bringing it all together. Sam pushing Baker is just as important as Baker pushing Sam. We all saw what happened when Wentz went down and Foles led the Eagles to the Super Bowl. Every position is important but the primary focus should always be a ring.

• Pie 1

I think the competition was probably necessary -- but not the way it was executed. It could have been resolved much faster, with a much quicker cessation of the splitting of reps. The players were clearly feeling Mayfield quickly, and there could have been a week or two cut off the "competition" to give Mayfield full 1's reps. 

• Beer 2

20 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Eeehhh, it makes for a nice story to frame it this way but I still don't buy that it was necessary.

I don't buy it, either.  The fastest way for a QB to win over a new team is to produce, gain their confidence, and show leadership in the huddle.  How they got the job at that point is irrelevant.  How he got the job is only an issue if he fails to produce, blames everybody around him for the failures, and can't lead buzzards to a corpse.

So if Baker plays well, he is going to want a contract of around $45m per season to stay.  Losing Darnold saves about $18m from the current cap.  So the net cost of a QB in relation to the cap hit is only going to be around $27m.  So if he does well, we could be in good shape at QB both on the field and financially--is that logic flawed?

6 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

So if Baker plays well, he is going to want a contract of around $45m per season to stay.  Losing Darnold saves about $18m from the current cap.  So the net cost of a QB in relation to the cap hit is only going to be around $27m.  So if he does well, we could be in good shape at QB both on the field and financially--is that logic flawed?

Actually, all things considered, we are not in good shape to be dealing out a contract like that.  We have a lot of guys that are going to need new deals coming up and a lot of one year deals that need to be addressed.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/carolina-panthers/cap/

Edited by mrcompletely11
  • Pie 1
  • The D 1

13 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Actually, all things considered, we are not in good shape to be dealing out a contract like that.  We have a lot of guys that are going to need new deals coming up and a lot of one year deals that need to be addressed.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/carolina-panthers/cap/

If he has a 2020 year are there really that many teams that would really want to get into a bidding war for him? I think most projections have him valued around $34M. We'd actually be better off extending him next year than tagging him since we're already -$30M in cap space, could make his 2023 year mostly bonus money 

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, hepcat said:

Yea except one alpha was a 6'5 250lb athletic freak with a cannon for an arm who would bulldoze everyone who tried to tackle him, the other isn't. 

He also ruined his body and could barely throw  by around 30 and started having nagging injuries regularly.   Alpha doesnt have to have anything to do with size.   Was jamarcus Russell an alpha?  He fits your qualifications for the most part.

I'm just going to point out that by his third season as head coach here, Rhule will have put four, FOUR, first round draft picks into the starting QB position here (five if you count Cam twice at the very beginning, then having him come back last season). 

Baker may or may not play great here, but if he doesn't you can certainly make a case that it might be the team leadership and not the onfield leadership that's the problem here. At some point, the coach has to be responsible for what he makes of the ingredients he's been given.

2 hours ago, hepcat said:

Yea except one alpha was a 6'5 250lb athletic freak with a cannon for an arm who would bulldoze everyone who tried to tackle him, the other isn't. 

We definitely cannot go back to the glory days of having a franchise QB  like Cam, but this is as good as I’ve felt since we cut him.

• Pie 1