• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

If Browns miss the last FG, everybody here is singing a different tune....

musicman

2 hours ago, musicman said:

I didn't say everything would be fine. I said the narrated would be different meaning "whew, we got a way with one there. At least they fought back to cover up how bad they played" or something along those lines. 

I'm confused.  They did show some flashes of knowing what to do but I again say it is mostly on the coaches.  Not all of it, but most of it.

Just one observation, the Browns have always been a running team. They didn’t pass that much anyway and their WRs aren’t some top tier unit that was underutilized because of the downgrade, the “backup QB” effect was minimal. It’s not like we’re talking about the Chiefs minus Mahommes, the Browns with their backup QB is still 99% of the Browns. 

We looked like poo for half the game, looked pretty good for half the game. The run defense tightened up a bit (still not good enough though), but it was game one. Baker didn’t even get the full training camp as the #1 so he’s already behind the curve on a new team. Second half Baker was very good. The only thing I see on this team that isn’t likely to improve is the HC, and that’s just a cross we’ll have to bear for now. But the rest of the team was encouraging, even the OL. We won’t see another DL like that except once this year, against the Rams. 

• Beer 3

we didn't lose because of a field goal.

we lost because we were poorly prepared coming into the game, we took too long to make adjustments, and because of just overall poor game management. 

that's a recurring theme throughout rhule's tenure and by looking at this first game of the year, it's safe to assume there will be more of that. 

• Pie 5

Just now, rayzor said:

we lost because we were poorly prepared coming into the game, we took too long to make adjustments, and because of just overall poor game management. 

that's a recurring theme throughout rhule's tenure and by looking at this first game of the year, it's safe to assume there will be more of that. 

I listened to a lionshares worth of podcasts recapping week 1 yesterday and almost all of them to a man said the exact same thing.   It should never have gotten to a point where a call makes the difference playing jacoby brissette

• Pie 1

11 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

I listened to a lionshares worth of podcasts recapping week 1 yesterday and almost all of them to a man said the exact same thing.   It should never have gotten to a point where a call makes the difference playing jacoby brissette

can't make excuses for baker when you're playing against brissett.

• Beer 1

This is an NFL team that hasn't had a winning season in five years. All the "what if" scenarios in the world aren't going to make this a winning franchise again. Only playing better football will and that begins with better coaching.

Edited by frankw
  • Pie 2

25 minutes ago, rayzor said:

This 100%.

Hes Right GIF by MOODMAN

I think most of us would be glad for the win, because when your sports teams win; it feels good.  That's fine.

But I don't think there would be too much optimism.  The reality is we had a full team, Bozeman being the only real injury issue.  What a fortunate camp!  We had a defense that had weeks to prepare, to have schemes and plans to stop power running teams.  We have a new OC and system, but that OC is recognized for being at least decent.

While the "glass is always full of piss" crowd will never ever be happy with the Panthers, even if they win a Super Bowl, there wasn't a lot to celebrate other than the fighting back.  Fighting back means the team still gives a poo.  Rhule has earned a LOT of poo for being a terrible game coach, weak at Xs and Os, but his players play hard for him. That was still showing in the 4th quarter.

The problem is that regardless of the score we gave up TONS of rushing yards, bounced off running backs, missed tackles, and allowed a backup QB to play a turnover free game.  Our only sack came on a blitz, and pressure was always late.  He had it easy to hang back, find his spot and rip it.  Thankfully he missed some big throws.  Others, he did make some good throws that are hard to defend.  He's an NFL QB for a reason.

But we should have played better on offense.  Several 3 and outs in the first half gave Cleveland the ability to control the clock, even if they didn't light up the scoreboard.  Even if we'd have won by the skin of our teeth, games like this are untenable for the rest of the season.

• Pie 2

I’ll say it

to run the ball and to stop the run, the o line and dline haveto be tough and nasty.  I do not see that   They have to have the ‘want to’  

The oline may come around with practice and Bozeman replacing Effline but that D line and LB corp are weak and too light 

Steve Smith on WFNZ  talked about Gross Mateo as an example  and the dline  yesterday  paraphrasing  ‘being a rotational piece being asked to be a full time player and he hasn’t transitioned to that role yet and the panthers like most of the nfl believe in the “next man Up theory but unfortunately, most times, the next man up are JAGs and the problem for the Panthers is they have a lot of JAGs on that line’

14 hours ago, musicman said:

I didn't say everything would be fine. I said the narrated would be different meaning "whew, we got a way with one there. At least they fought back to cover up how bad they played" or something along those lines. 

I totally agree, once the offense started moving the ball the defense played much better. But like you said, to play like shi1t as a team for a majority of the game, rebound to take the lead and then narrowly lose on the last play, takes grit. 

12 hours ago, The Lobo said:

IF a frog had wings they wouldn’t bump their ass when they hop. 

This might be my new favorite.

but yeah, once we decided to run CMC up the gut and not even attempt going into the end zone, everyone and their mother knew how the game was going to end.  Their kicker lined up to kick and I just went to take a leak, didn’t even need to see it 

• Pie 1