• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Are we at the lowest point in panthers history?

Panthers Fan 69

Rhule loves those analytics right?

2019-2021 (1 year of Ron, plus Rhule's two years) ties 2000-2002, and 2010-2012 as the worst three-year stretch in Panthers history totaling just 15 wins. 

Rhule's Panthers must win at least 5 games this year for 2020-2022 to tie those stretches. Anything less than five wins this year and 2020-2022 will be the lowest three-year win total in Panthers history.

Aside: The best three year span in Panthers history was 2013-2015 with 34 wins.

• Beer 2

2 hours ago, rayzor said:

for me the clausen season was miserable to start, but i had a lot of hope because you just knew that 1) fox was going to be gone the next year (contract had run out and he wasn't getting another one) and 2) we were going to be getting a shot at an incredible QB.

even that last year with rivera....you just had a sense that rivera wasn't going to be around much longer. new owner had laid down pretty well known expectations and it was only a matter of time before he got his guy in here.

this year.... i don't know. i've got this nagging thought in the back of my mind that 1) tepper is going to stick with rhule and 2) this is as good as it's going to get at QB.

basically it's this nagging feeling that we are stuck and tepper is hoping that somehow rhule is going to pull it together. tepper was very vocal before, but with the failures of rhule, he's gone into a shell. i can't say i blame him, but why not just admit that rhule may not have been the best hire and move on and learn from the mistakes he made with rhule...don't go after the trendy name and don't give an unknown commodity a 7 year mega$ deal, no matter what they try to sell you on. 

That's fair especially on the last paragraph. 

To the point of QBs I can at least say Fitterer has made an EFFORT to get us Talent at QB. The results speak for themselves but he's probably the only guy I wanna keep long term. 

I would disagree about the 1-15 season feeling the worst.  We were 7-9 before and after that year, so no long term stench. Also we started out 1-0 that season as well.  The games were close (sound familiar) up until the last quarter of the season when the players finally threw in the towel. 

This is different.  This has been a downward spiral.  A pattern of failure.  Seifert got canned after the 2001 season and with a new HC incoming, there was optimism about that.  With Rhule's 7-year contract even if he continues to lose, will Tepper actually eat that contract?  Who knows?  Richardson canned Capers after a couple of subpar seasons and canned Seifert after only one really bad year.  I have no faith in Rhule's coaching ability or Tepper's ability to swallow his pride and do the right thing.

Again, this is currently the worst and I go back all the way to 1995.

• Pie 2

My all time low was the Eagles game where Jake came out and looked terrible week 1 following his playoff meltdown against Arizona. That made it clear to me that we were a minimum 3 seasons away from being good again. Terrible. And it was also clear that certain players like Steve Smith would be too old by the time we had a good experienced QB.

I feel better about our current situation because we have a young core. All we need is a great QB prospect from the 2023 draft and we’re back in business. That is totally doable since we’ll have a top ten draft pick in the 2023 draft, and there are a few great prospects. We might even have a top 5 draft pick, which would be even better. Then the new rookie can grow with this young team. Yes Shaq will be too old, not most of our best players will be ready when the new QB is up to speed. 

7 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

This is the easy part of the schedule too.  We are supposed to actually upset somebody later on when the schedule gets brutal?  Bwwahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!

I fully expect us to upset at least 1 good team this year and then having to watch Rhule point to it constantly about how that game is proof that the process is working and how it took JayZ 7 years to be successful. 

• Pie 1

3 hours ago, rayzor said:

for me the clausen season was miserable to start, but i had a lot of hope because you just knew that 1) fox was going to be gone the next year (contract had run out and he wasn't getting another one) and 2) we were going to be getting a shot at an incredible QB.

That year was the worst season for me and had nothing to do with the wins/losses (2-14) or coaching. We had gone 8-8 the year before. It was the season of pie charts and no cap hits because of the failure of CBA negotiations so Richardson gave up on winning and had Hurney cut every player with a high value contract, the majority of our veterans, because it would not hit the cap. He showed the NFL and NFLPA how low and extreme an owner would go. Clausen was a rookie backed up by Tony Pike, also a rookie, so I don't put the failed season on them or on John Fox who was left with little to work with. 2010 was totally on ownership, Richardson, and I will never forgive him for that. 

With that said, Tepper is on a down slide and he'd better jump off quickly. He knows leading a hedge fund is not the same as leading, as an example, Amazon. It takes a totally different set of skills whether or not the personalities match. He should have known that leading a college team versus leading an NFL team is the same way and Rhule's skills would not translate to the NFL despite Rhule having a personality Tepper wanted for his head coach. On top of that he had idiot Hurney cheering him on. He should've studied Hurney's yes-man history first.

• Pie 2