• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

FMIA: Tanking shouldn’t be a dirty word

NAS

58 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

KEY WORDS PANTHER FAN

You're not a player.  Players don't play to lose.  Everyone in that locker room is going to fight to get better.  We'll face the draft after the season and go from there.

You’re not a player either, but you will be miserable once again if we don’t get a franchise QB and have to watch sub-par talent “fight” every week with no hope of a championship 

6 minutes ago, RenoCarolina said:

tanking = cheating, it really is that simple.

Using the tanking theory you can justify/rationalize a lot of things.  Hey, why not pass out PED's?  It's only against the rules if you get caught, right?

I would rather root for a 5 win team with integrity than a playoff contender with no integrity.  JMO.

signed, not a new fan.

sounds like you've been getting exactly the team you wanted for the last three years 

• Beer 1

3 minutes ago, PhillyB said:

sounds like you've been getting exactly the team you wanted for the last three years 

Is that supposed to make me feel bad?

#fail

I drove to Death Valley to watch us get killed by the rams 3-38.  Yes, I cheered that field goal.

I was in the rain when we lost to New England to finish 1-15

I was in the stands in San Francisco when the refs won SB50

But I was also with the Roaring Riot in London, marching as a group to the "pitch" through the streets.  And in Jacksonville marching to opening day.  I have tons of winning memories with my team and I know I will have more winning memories in the future.  With the Panthers, no other team. 

Investing emotions in the immediate success or failure of an NFL team is a poor choice.  Invest for the long haul, which is what Keep Pounding is all about.  I'm going to enjoy this win and expect us to come out of Atlanta with the division lead.  I really don't care if that makes Huddlers miserable.

• Pie 4

I don’t want my team to tank 

I want them to play, execute  and be coached like a pro team 

if their record is a losing one and that gets them a top 5 or top 10 draft selection at season’s end,  so be it 

Frankly, the pure joy I saw from them in the locker room post game, having overcome so much, with an interim headcoach and all the rest, was worth any draft choice 

in 2017 draft TD 1 

Trubisky  was number 2 

Mahomes was 10 (trade up by Chiefs) 

Watson was 12 

In the 2018 draft,  rd 1 

Josh Allen was number 7.

Lamar Jackson. number  32.  
       And …. Mayfield was 1 and Darnold number 3 and Rosen, 10

id rather they play to win now then chase something that is a total crap shot in the future 

• Pie 3

52 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

If teams want to focus on the future, they trade away high salary veteran pieces for drafts picks like we are doing.  If our young core can play their asses off and secure a few wins then that's great.  If we strip our team down of it's vets and are still competitive than a middle first round QB will fit in nicely. 

I'm trying to figure out what we are doing at HC.  Tepper wants a young offensive minded HC, but if Wilks keeps us competitive do you not give him a shot?  It's still early and a lot of football left to be played.

I feel that if Wilks keeps us competitive and has the defense a fine tuned machine, then you have to consider him at the least for the DC/AHC job with a new coach.  But can't force it, the new HC would have to be cool with it.

30 minutes ago, RenoCarolina said:

#fail

I drove to Death Valley to watch us get killed by the rams 3-38.  Yes, I cheered that field goal.

But I was also with the Roaring Riot in London, marching as a group to the "pitch" through the streets.  And in Jacksonville marching to opening day.  I have tons of winning memories with my team and I know I will have more winning memories in the future.  With the Panthers, no other team. 

Investing emotions in the immediate success or failure of an NFL team is a poor choice.  Invest for the long haul, which is what Keep Pounding is all about.  I'm going to enjoy this win and expect us to come out of Atlanta with the division lead.  I really don't care if that makes Huddlers miserable.

“I was there… when Tepper moved the team to San Antonio after the city refused to give him money for his new stadium”

Edited by Growl
  • Flames 1

25 minutes ago, davos said:

I feel that if Wilks keeps us competitive and has the defense a fine tuned machine, then you have to consider him at the least for the DC/AHC job with a new coach.  But can't force it, the new HC would have to be cool with it.

Would Wilks be cool with it? He may feel he deserves to be HC. Plus he is part of that law suit.

2 hours ago, NAS said:

This is my definition of 'tanking'.  Nobody is asking the coach or players to throw the games, but stop with the euphoria about winning the NFC south and going to the playoffs.  It's stupid and unrealistic.  I want to see our players develop, work hard, show improvement and ultimately lose meaningless games so they can actually win meaningful games next year and beyond.

You want them to develop, work hard, show improvement…

and lose…

How do you control that? How can players do everything you ask and guarantee a loss. If they are getting better why would you encourage them to be losing.

The only way is by asking them or forcing them to intentionally lose.

48 minutes ago, PhillyB said:

Honestly, Philly, I'm a little surprised to see you riding comfortably on this particular bandwagon.

I don't think fanbases can afford to be so pragmatic. Nor do I think that pragmatism equates to success.

If we tank, and if we get the #1 pick, do you really think that's a guarantee of success? The Jaguars got the once-in-a-generation Trevor Lawrence at the #1 spot. How far away are they from looking like a contender? We got a once-in-a-generation-type player in Cam Newton. And for us the story of that team ended with one Super Bowl run, and zero championships. You could rightly say, "We didn't have the right coach. We didn't have the right line. We didn't have the right opponent in the Super Bowl." And you'd be right. There are innumerable factors that affect the record of a team, that I don't think you can look at one position, especially one as hit or miss as the QB position, and say "That's worth intentionally bombing 10 games for."

As a fan, what's the goal? Root for a championship?

So why not this season? Our division is the weakest it's probably been in the last decade. So why not capitalize on that now? Why not try to get a ticket to the dance and see if we get hot at the right time? Why be so confident that a rookie QB is our salvation that we're willing to risk rolling into next year with our division finding White Knights of their own? Isn't it equally likely the Buccs, Falcons, or Saints will hit on a QB and be the power in the South?

Stanger things have certainly happened. The Giants won it all with a 9-7 record, riding a game-changing, pass-rushing defense. We've got a punishing defense that just held the GOAT to 3 points, with several starters not even in the line-up. So why not?

Is it improbable that we'd win it all this year? Absolutely.

Is it improbable that we'll get the #1 overall pick? Yes. Is it improbable that we'll get our pick at QB? Yes. Is it improbable that QB will actually be the generational talent we hope he is? Yes. Is it improbable that he will become our franchise QB that will lead us to the promised land? Yes. Is it improbable that the stars will align and we'll have not only our star, generational QB, the right talent around him, the right coach, the right defense, the right game plan, the right opponents, and we'll rattle off multiple championships? You bet your fuggin ass it is.

So is hoping for the "get hot at the right time" plan really any crazier?

We're one slot outside of 1st place in our division with 10 games to go. I don't know why as a fan you wouldn't root for the improbable to happen now. You're already comfortable rooting for the improbable later. I'm just less patient.

...But talk to me next week. If we manage to lose to Atlanta, and this week was completely an aberration, and we come back down to earth as the dumpster fire everyone thought we were after the trades, then I might have a different perspective.

• Pie 2

55 minutes ago, RenoCarolina said:

#fail

I remember sitting in the 500 section, watching John Fox trot out Randy Fasani because everyone else was hurt, and then watching as the Bucs ran up the score on us and then leave our field laughing and celebrating. I told myself, 'feeling this shitty right now is going to make me appreciate it even more when we start winning.' The next season, Jake came in for Rodney Peete and we were off to a Super Bowl. You just never know how things will go. I would rather they always play to win. Being high in the draft order is always the consolation prize, never the goal. 

• Pie 5

18 minutes ago, Urrymonster2 said:

You want them to develop, work hard, show improvement…

and lose…

How do you control that? How can players do everything you ask and guarantee a loss. If they are getting better why would you encourage them to be losing.

The only way is by asking them or forcing them to intentionally lose.

Not asking players or coaches to do that. I am speaking as a fan what I wish for. 

a GM can influence it by trading away assets we don’t intend to keep