• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Jaycee Horn weighs in on the turf debate

PantherFanInPhilly

18 hours ago, rayzor said:

Listen to the ones playing the game. Listen to the ones whose health and livelihoods depend on the ground they run on.

Find players who think turf is better and listen to what they say and listen to players who think grass is better and compare notes. My guess is you aren't going to find many who think turf is better. 

I think overall, no matter the studies, do whatever the players prefer. After all, they are the ones that make this sport what it is. This shouldn't be too hard to figure out. Just not enough common sense anymore.

• Pie 1

On 11/12/2022 at 3:08 PM, kungfoodude said:

The NFL has always prioritized money over player safety. 

Young people have also believed "now - is the time -" to do anything idealistic and ideological because as they get old they actually begin to understand the "why".

There is no statistically significant different between injuries on artificial turf and on grass. I feel guys prefer to play on grass because it's softer and more plyable which makes sense. However the research shows that there isn't a strong correlation between one field or the other in terms of injury.

5 hours ago, CPcavedweller said:

Young people have also believed "now - is the time -" to do anything idealistic and ideological because as they get old they actually begin to understand the "why".

There is no statistically significant different between injuries on artificial turf and on grass. I feel guys prefer to play on grass because it's softer and more plyable which makes sense. However the research shows that there isn't a strong correlation between one field or the other in terms of injury.

Multiple research studies have suggested there is a link between artifical turf and higher injury rates. The NFL is saying different yet don't offer much to back up these claims. They say it could be weather, cleats, etc.

Strange how that mirrors their long term defense against head injuries.

The bottom line is that you can't trust the NFL because they care about their bottom line above anything else.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

29 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Hopefully Davood Tipper will listen.

Great report there by Danny Tewtan.

He probably will not listen.  Now, tell him that Matt Rhule believs artificial turf is an integral part of "the process" and he may have bulldozers at BofA ripping it out by the end of the day.

• Flames 1

1 hour ago, kungfoodude said:

Hopefully Davood Tipper will listen.

Great report there by Danny Tewtan.

Doubt it. He should have already known. Of course he is an idiot so there is that.

I find it funny people think they know what’s healthier for people than the actual players themselves lol

These people ever wonder why turf is is made to emulate grass? I mean that alone should tell you which is superior.

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

On 11/12/2022 at 3:20 PM, Tbe said:

It seems studies on this are pretty mixed. Who knows.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/21985213/

This study analyzed 11 other studies.

From the abstract. Not reading the full thing right now.

“Changing between surfaces may be a precursor for injury in soccer. In conclusion, studies have provided strong evidence for comparable rates of injury between new generation artificial turfs and natural turfs. An exception is the likely increased risk of ankle injury on third and fourth generation artificial turfs.”

Also, soccer and football are 2 completely different beasts.  

On 11/14/2022 at 7:53 AM, CPcavedweller said:

https://nflpa.com/posts/only-natural-grass-can-level-the-nfls-playing-field#:~:text=Specifically%2C players have a 28,on turf compared to grass.

The data supports the anecdotes you’ll hear from me and other players: artificial turf is significantly harder on the body than grass. Based on NFL injury data collected from 2012 to 2018, not only was the contact injury rate for lower extremities higher during practices and games held on artificial turf, NFL players consistently experienced a much higher rate of non-contact lower extremity injuries on turf compared to natural surfaces. Specifically, players have a 28% higher rate of non-contact lower extremity injuries when playing on artificial turf. Of those non-contact injuries, players have a 32% higher rate of non-contact knee injuries on turf and a staggering 69% higher rate of non-contact foot/ankle injuries on turf compared to grass.

• Flames 1