• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

All aboard the Wilks Wagon

Zod

10 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Forced Mike McCoy on him per reports.

Wilks eventually fired him but the damage was done.

It was bad judgement to take that job. Ron should have helped him see that. I'm not really impressed with his decision making. Old school and short sighted, good in fundamentals bad in planning. People are putting a lot on him that he was forced into but he put himself in that situation for whatever reason. 

10 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

From what I read it states he “wanted to trade up for Josh Allen, not Rosen.” That doesn’t mean he didn’t want Rosen at all, just that he preferred Allen. He did state the GM drafted Rosen, but that doesn’t mean he was against it. He also benched Rosen for Bradford who looked just as bad in his team’s offense, and benched Bradford for Glennon who also looked bad. He also fired his OC McCoy and the offense still looked bad (with Fitzgerald, Kirk, and David Johnson). When I say bad I mean one of the top 3 worst offenses in the NFL since 1986 bad…

https://www.theringer.com/platform/amp/nfl/2018/12/31/18162453/arizona-cardinals-fire-steve-wilks-josh-rosen

The bad thing is he was just recently the DC for Missouri whose defense looked better this year without him…

Also our defense, witch wasn’t that good in 2016, got worse when Wilks took over in 2017. 
We had a ton of sacks but we gave up a ton of yards and points. 
Always surprised we we went to the playoffs with that defense. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, Aussie Tank said:

I would have blamed them both like I’m do in Arizona. 

There's a pretty significant amount of evidence available that Steve Keim is a lousy GM.

There's a season and a half worth of tape out there on Steve Wilks that to this point is still inconclusive.

In order for me to want to hire somebody though, they've got a convince me of something. I can't say Wilks has done that just yet.

He still has time...

• Beer 1

I could see Wilks being a decent NFL coach still, maybe even here. This fit just feels so awkward right now though. He’s obviously got the respect of the locker room, but that is far from the only qualification we should be looking for for this job. He’s beaten three of the very worst teams in the league. Cool! But I can’t help but think there could be more out there.

He seems insanely conservative. Never goes for it on fourth, and when our run game isn’t working he has no clue how to adjust. Sure that could be something more on the OC, but these are things as a head coach you still have to figure out some.

The biggest thing for me is we have nothing at QB. We’re probably going to draft and develop one, and I just don’t trust Wilks to build the ideal regime needed for this situation. If we had a guy in place already I’d feel way better about it.

• Beer 1

12 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

Because Allen was “ready?” Most rookies aren’t ready year 1. He had Bradford as the vet backup.

2018 Josh Allen was not ready. There were even significant questions about him going into 2020. That was the year he became "Josh Allen". 

• Pie 1

4 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

There's a season and a half worth of tape out there on Steve Wilks that to this point is still inconclusive

To say the season and a half we have on Wilks is "inconclusive" is being incredibly generous. He was bad in Arizona, and this season Wilks has been blown out by Cincinnati, lost by double digits to another playoff team in Baltimore while playing unbelievably conservative to beat 3 awful teams.

• Pie 3
  • Flames 1

56 minutes ago, tgrfan01 said:

the raiders are prime example of why some times your interim is  the guy you should hire..going after a name isnt always the best option

Or it could just be that Josh McDaniels is a terrible coach.  Interims have a pretty poor success rate as full time coaches.  

• Pie 1

Just now, PNW_PantherMan said:

Or it could just be that Josh McDaniels is a terrible coach.  Interims have a pretty poor success rate as full time coaches.  

The Raiders are on a three game winning streak and are two games back from the last wildcard in the AFC. If Wilks was on a three-game winning streak, we'd be talking about removing the interim tag and signing him to an extension.

• Pie 1

28 minutes ago, trueblade said:

The Raiders are on a three game winning streak and are two games back from the last wildcard in the AFC. If Wilks was on a three-game winning streak, we'd be talking about removing the interim tag and signing him to an extension.

McDaniels is going a nice job. They only got their asses kicked in 1 game at New Orleans (Adams was extremely sick for that one). Otherwise, they've been in every game. That roster isn't that great, Gruden/Mayock were horrendous, especially with their first round picks.

As far as Wilks getting the job here, he has to win out and get to the playoffs. 

• Pie 1