• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

HOT TAKE Jaycee Horn isin't a shutdown corner

DMathematics

2 hours ago, DMathematics said:

In my honest opinion Jaycee isn't a shutdown corner and the Panthers actually HIDE him when it comes guarding the best players on the other team CONSISTENTLY he never does it! It's like the team saw all the PFF praise he was getting and made sure to show the NFL hey look we got something right!! Guy just doesn't do it for me 

I bet you successfully flip you legs over your own head just to satisfy yourself.  

1 hour ago, DMathematics said:

That's cap teams put their best corner on the best player on the field 

By 'cap' I assume you mean 'crap' and no, no it's not. You're exposing a lack of knowledge here.

For example, the Patriots:

A common thought among NFL fans and media is that teams should always match up their best cornerback against the opposition’s best receiver. But the Patriots have devised a better strategy. They use versatile safety Devin McCourty to help bracket the opponent’s top receiver. By committing two defenders to one receiver, the corner has a far easier job in coverage, and thus the Patriots use their second-best corner on this double coverage assignment.

That allows them to use their top corner on the opposition’s second best receiver, which in theory gives them a good chance to lock down not just one, but two of the opponent’s top receivers. Here’s an example against the Texans from Week 3 last season.

The Texans’ best receiver is DeAndre Hopkins. He splits outside to the left of the formation. Instead of using their top corner, Malcolm Butler, the Patriots send their second corner Logan Ryan to shadow Hopkins. McCourty is typically a free safety in base packages, but in nickel sub-packages, he rotates down to help bracket receivers while Duron Harmon takes his place in the deep middle of the field. Butler is left to cover whomever the Patriots deem to be the Texans’ next biggest threat.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2017/09/07/the-patriots-specialize-in-stopping-no-1-receivers-but-can-they-contain-tyreek-hill/

Or from Matt Bowen, former NFL safety:

So how would I game plan a receiver like Brown, Beckham, Julio Jones, DeAndre Hopkins or A.J. Green? Put the No. 1 cornerback on the opposition's No. 2 wide receiver and use the scheme to take away the top wide receiver. No different than what the New England Patriots used to do with Darrelle Revis.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/17612045/creative-ways-double-team-nfl-top-wide-receivers

• Pie 3

2 hours ago, CRA said:

Hotter Take:

Jayce Horn hasn’t even played a full season yet.  He isnt suppose to be Revis Island yet.  Revis wasn’t.

Reality is Horn has been great when on the field.  

All that said, we should have drafted Fields.  QB play is significantly more impactful than a DB.  Especially for a team without one. 

And yet, we're better than Shitcago. Wat do?

Edited by cookinbrak