• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Tankers

Sir Purr

2 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

QB is our Achilles heel.  So far they are protecting Sam as best they can by limiting his opportunity to screw up. At some point they will have to turn him lose and open up the passing game. Unfortunately, I do not think McAdoo has a passing game to speak of.  What little they did throw the routes were so screwed up that I was surprised that Sam completed any of them.

We are going to have to throw at some point.  Its just the way it is in the modern nfl. 

Granted the hawks defense is terrible but holy hell our oline completely manhandled them yesterday.  I mean Icky was intent on hurting some fools.  I fuging loved every minute of it.  I hope fitt keeps addressing the line in the draft.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

It is not about rooting for the Panthers to lose, it is about this annoying habit of eliminating your playoff chances and then going on a tear that also eliminates your chance of getting that difference-making QB.  Winning games after being eliminated?  Yea!!! Rah Rah!!!

Tankers are fans in that they do not like French kissing their sisters and telling their friends that they scored.  They want to sacrifice today for long-term winning and a shot at a title. 

Last time I checked, they did not hang banners for five-win seasons.  But don't let that damper your parade plans.

We were a trap game--with SF on the schedule for Thursday.  They probably watched SF film last week, and we were coming off a bye.

Edited by MHS831
  • Pie 2
  • Poo 1

24 minutes ago, Icege said:

I understand that the higher the pick, the more available prospects there are. However, this also reminds me of the end of the 2018 - 2019 season. We had folks in here that were apoplectic over winning the final game of the season against the Saints. It was a "meaningless win" that folks guaranteed would prevent us from drafting a top pass rusher that offseason.

The draft pick: Brian Burns

Again, I understand the sentiment behind the desire to lose and get a better pick in the draft. However, if that can be validated, then why can't it also be acknowledged that picking 9th or even in the middle of the 1st doesn't doom the team to mediocrity? Hell, Mahomes went #10 behind Trubisky.

Stake your claim then! 😛

Darnold isn't going to be on the roster next season, just Matt Corral (who, despite what folks here want to believe, would be one of the top 3 QBs in this draft class). Which of these potential rookies are you willing to go out of your way and say that they'll be the franchise guy?

If picking in the middle of the round is a sign of infinite mediocrity, which of the rookies will prevent that?

The panthers have won 20 games in the 4 years Brian burns has been here. As good as he is, let’s not pretend that draft puck has brought us great success. The team has averaged 5 wins a season while on his rookie contract and will have to now give him a monster contract while still trying to get competitive.

i have zero idea who the QB in this draft is that will turn out to be great. All I can tell you is most people saw Josh Allen as a project QB who played no competition. All I know is Patrick Mahomes went in the teens because people thought he was a system QB who played no defenses in the Big 12. 

i rather take a chance on a young QB and his rookie contract and see what he becomes, then continuing to give up assets and awful contracts to QBs who have already shown us they stink.

13 hours ago, stbugs said:

I think I’ll survive. Heck, I was 100% right about tanking after 2019 so I am still waiting for win 6. Man, would have been fun to see Trevor on this team.

To be fair, you were also pretty pissed about us losing out on Zach Wilson lol.  The easy part is arguing that tanking is in the best long-term interests of a franchise.  The hard part is nailing that franchise-changing QB pick after the tank job.

It's also easier said than done that we could out-suck the 1-15 Jaguars in 2020.  Even with Will Grier at QB, our defense was pretty average that year and would've won us more than 1 game.  Likely against the Lions who we shut out with PJ Walker at QB, and the awful Haskins-led Washington team that we beat towards the end of the season.

Here's the thing

this is fun

this is nice

It has been a LONG time since the team had meaningful games

Without a division title then all this was in vain as we just entered no man's land when it comes to draft positioning. For a team that needs LBs, QBs, DEs, DTs, TEs and more, every draft spot is valuable currency 

24 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

We are going to have to throw at some point.  Its just the way it is in the modern nfl. 

Granted the hawks defense is terrible but holy hell our oline completely manhandled them yesterday.  I mean Icky was intent on hurting some fools.  I fuging loved every minute of it.  I hope fitt keeps addressing the line in the draft.

It's crazy seeing Cade Mays and Cam Erving checking in as reinforcement for 6-7 man fronts. Especially the Cade as a fullback move

We can't even tank right, jesus.

I dunno man. The whole reason I want to tank is so that we are in a better position to draft a franchise QB. We can still trade up to get one, and that seems like it is the thing we will have to do come April, I am just not a fan of getting rid of a bunch of assets in terms of draft capital to move up to do so. Tanking makes that whole process easier. 

So whatever, Make it to the playoffs, get knocked out in round one, then trade 3 firsts to move up to take a guy who might not make it in the NFL instead of tanking, spending one pick on that unknown lottery ticket, whatever. We can hang another losing season division winner banner. 

• Pie 3
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, Jon Snow said:

You will never get an answer to that. 

Shoot, I'll do it for them!

• Bryce Young (Alabama)
  • Will Levis (Kentucky)
  • Max Duggan (TCU)
  • Grayson McCall (Coastal Carolina)
  • Anthony Richardson (Florida)

I genuinely think that any of those 5 could be "the guy." My big issue though is that, looking at that list, I can't justify taking any of those guys in the top 10 except for Young (who will be gone already) and maybe Levis? Not a fan of Stroud at all. For Duggan I stan. McCall was somebody that I thought was overrated, but after going back and watching his games I found myself more and more impressed. Both of those guys, to me, are at best late day 2 picks though they're most likely day 3 selections. Richardson I would gamble on with one of our 2nds in a heartbeat.

The biggest thing going against Corral imo isn't having to spend his rookie offseason on a Matt Rhule team, but rather that if the next OC comes in and wants more of a traditional drop back passer that he might be on the way out. Wilks' background leads me to believe he'd prefer a big bodied QB with a rocket launcher for an arm. If he gets an OC that wants to run more of a WC-style, in-rhythm offense though, Corral could be the guy.

Edited by Icege

1 hour ago, Icege said:

I understand that the higher the pick, the more available prospects there are. However, this also reminds me of the end of the 2018 - 2019 season. We had folks in here that were apoplectic over winning the final game of the season against the Saints. It was a "meaningless win" that folks guaranteed would prevent us from drafting a top pass rusher that offseason.

The draft pick: Brian Burns

Again, I understand the sentiment behind the desire to lose and get a better pick in the draft. However, if that can be validated, then why can't it also be acknowledged that picking 9th or even in the middle of the 1st doesn't doom the team to mediocrity? Hell, Mahomes went #10 behind Trubisky.

Stake your claim then! 😛

Darnold isn't going to be on the roster next season, just Matt Corral (who, despite what folks here want to believe, would be one of the top 3 QBs in this draft class). Which of these potential rookies are you willing to go out of your way and say that they'll be the franchise guy?

If picking in the middle of the round is a sign of infinite mediocrity, which of the rookies will prevent that?

The only reason we got Burns is Dan Snyder is a meddling idiot. He wanted Dwayne Haskins and he made sure they drafted him at 15. The coaches and FO didn't want him, but they all knew if he was available, he was the pick. The next pick for them was Montez Sweat at 26, so they still got an edge rusher, but it would have been Burns most likely if not for DS. Then our pick would have been THE Greg Little. That meaningless win would have mattered a lot if hadn't been for Dan Snyder. 

Our weakness is our passing game. That's fine when you play teams that have the same weakness, so it becomes who can control the los. But when we play a team that can throw it well, like the Bengals, then what do we do when they move the ball easily and get a lead? Wait for Burns to get a garbage time sack? Watch Forman run for 2 yards? Not enough. We can't beat the top passing teams unless lady luck gifts us a perfect game.

So what's the plan? The new QB plan has to be put on hold. We may need to roll with Sam and Corral next season, and Sam would have a 1 year prove it deal. That way we are developing a QB, and we have a vet who knows the system and can run the offense, albeit in a limited fashion. Another option is to find a new vet QB and dump Sam. Either way we need to focus on finding a #1 WR and elite pass catching TE in the draft. There is no need to draft a flawed QB later in the draft when we already have a project in the works with Corral. What is needed immediately is a "bailout" type WR or TE, or hopefully both. A tall #1 WR who can win jump balls and threaten a defense deep is needed desperately. DJ Moore is more of a "throw me open" type #2 WR, and asking a game managing QB to throw DJ open when no one is open is too much to ask. It's unreasonable, and any FA QB who comes here is going to have the same problem. 

So our plan needs to be adjusted. The highly coveted QBs will be off the board by the time we pick, but we MUST juice up our passing offense. This has to happen to save the 2023 from being another lost season.

So I am taking a look at:

Edited by pantherj
  • Beer 1

Just now, SmokinwithWilly said:

The only reason we got Burns is Dan Snyder is a meddling idiot. He wanted Dwayne Haskins and he made sure they drafted him at 15. The coaches and FO didn't want him, but they all knew if he was available, he was the pick. The next pick for them was Montez Sweat at 26, so they still got an edge rusher, but it would have been Burns most likely if not for DS. Then our pick would have been THE Greg Little. That meaningless win would have mattered a lot if hadn't been for Dan Snyder. 

Wild how they took a QB that busted with the higher pick instead of using it on Brian Burns or Montez Sweat so that they didn't have to trade their 2020 1st... 👀

Then again, losing 2 more games would have meant that they could have selected the franchise himself, Daniel Jones. 😮