• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

If you are GM of the team…do you re sign Foreman to a long term deal?

WarPanthers89

He is a RB so what does the deal look like. Not comfortable backloading a RB contract either.

If they can make it work then great. If not then they need to normalize brining in a back every year or 2. There are solid backs in FA also as Foreman has proved. I like the idea of keeping a power back in the stable, it's been a nice return to having that option (plus it's not our QB so double yay).

• Beer 1

It sucks so much that no matter how much we want somebody to be retained, we'll have no idea what's going to happen until the head coach is hired.

2 - 3 year deal with the 3rd year leaving minimal dead cap if we retain Wilks. Hopefully another HC will want to take advantage of the power run game that has been empowered by the OL + Campen if they don't go with Wilks.

• Beer 1
  • Poo 1

The Panthers need to re-sign Foreman, a 27 year old power back with little wear on his body that will be playing behind a good offensive line.

I believe a  2 Year $10 Million Deal gets Foreman re-signed. NFL teams in general, will usually not value a 27 Year old RB so highly as  to give out big contracts,

• Pie 1

Big bruising RB with a little wiggle and decent speed are not a dime a dozen. Man, you guys kill me. 

Offer the man a fair contract, and hope he stays. I like Chubba and Blackbeard. But they are nowhere near the bruiser of a Foreman.

Edit it add; Hey @mrcompletely11nuts. Heres' another post you can poo. 

Edited by Gerry Green

According to Over the Cap, 3rd round rookies are projected to make a little over a million or less a year. 4th round or later will make less than a million a year. So even on a vet min deal, Foreman would cost more than a rookie. The smart move is to take a productive RB with less wear and injuries like Chris Rodriguez in the mid rounds to replace Foreman's production for less money and spend those few free agent dollars the Panthers have on the Oline.

6 minutes ago, jayboogieman said:

According to Over the Cap, 3rd round rookies are projected to make a little over a million or less a year. 4th round or later will make less than a million a year. So even on a vet min deal, Foreman would cost more than a rookie. The smart move is to take a productive RB with less wear and injuries like Chris Rodriguez in the mid rounds to replace Foreman's production for less money and spend those few free agent dollars the Panthers have on the Oline.

I understand that logic of thinking, but Foreman doesn't have much wear and tear on him and I'd rather use that mid round draft pick on a position of need (or if we want to draft a RB, some type of scat back that can be our passing down RB).

Again, this is under the assumption we can get Foreman for a 1-2 year deal for ~3 mill/yr.

Edited by PleaseCutStewart

19 hours ago, panfanman said:

No.  RB's have become almost an easy plug and play.  No to long term deals for them because their shelve life is way to short.

This. He'll want a nice contract. And we've proved we don't need a CMC, D-Lo, Stew, etc. We can just pick up a backup and let him play for a season. Rinse. Repeat.

3 minutes ago, PleaseCutStewart said:

I understand that logic of thinking, but Foreman doesn't have much wear and tear on him and I'd rather use that mid round draft pick on a position of need (or if we want to draft a RB, some type of scat back that can be our passing down RB).

Again, this is under the assumption we can get Foreman for a 1-2 year deal for ~3 mill/yr.

Take emotion and that sense of loyalty out of the equation. This is not the era of featured first round RBs anymore like the 80s, 90s, or decades before that. Young mid to late round rookies on cheap contracts is the way to go at RB in today's NFL. You use them for all you can get, let 'em go, and replace with another mid to late round guy. Let some other team overpay a vet RB.

• Pie 3

No, you draft or sign someone else who will produce. Running backs are found every year throughout the entire NFL draft and as undrafted free agents. They're just too easy to acquire and will produce as long as the offensive line and scheme are there.

We also will gain more from letting him walk and some other team signing, possibly giving us a compensatory pick.