• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Apple pulls out. So does Disney/ESPN

PanthersATL

21 minutes ago, glenwo2 said:

My question is why pay 10 bucks for an APP when one can just simply go to a so-called "questionable website" (like onmyown mentioned) and watch the games there for free?  

The questionable sites have been getting less and less reliable. It's very frustrating to be watching a game and repeatedly having to refresh or find another link.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

18 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

The questionable sites have been getting less and less reliable. It's very frustrating to be watching a game and repeatedly having to refresh or find another link.

better that than wasting 10 bucks on an app that could have you STILL refresh anyway. 

At least you wouldn't be out 10 bucks. 

The new TV deals start in 2023.  NBC, CBS, FOX & ESPN all will pay at least 2 Billion a year to broadcast games.  While Amazon just pays 1 Billion a year.  Just to give you an idea of how much a jump that is, during the last TV deal ESPN paid 1 Billion and no one else paid more than 800 or 900 million.

The salary cap will jump like crazy.  Owners revenues will jump like crazy.  It might put entire departments in these networks out of business.  And they still want more revenue streams and more more money coming in.  Come on man.

• Flames 1

When I see a potential problem, I don't whine, I look for solutions.

Panthers radio affiliates in North Carolina

• Albemarle — WSPC-AM/1010
  • Albemarle — WSPC-FM/107.3
  • Asheville — WWNC-AM/570
  • Charlotte — WRFX-FM/99.7
  • Cherryville — WCSL-AM/1590
  • Cherryville — WCSL-FM/92.3
  • Elkin — WIFM-FM/100.9
  • Fayetteville — WRCQ/FM/103.5
  • Greensboro — WKRR-FM/96.3
  • Greenville — WTIB-FM/103.7
  • Hamlet — WKDX-AM/1250
  • Hendersonville — WHKP-AM/1450
  • Hendersonville — WHKP-FM/107.7
  • Hickory — WNNC-FM/101.3
  • Jacksonville — WJNC-AM/1240
  • Kinston — WRNS-AM/960
  • Lincolnton — WLON-AM/1050
  • Lincolnton — WLON-FM/107.5
  • Morehead City — WTKF-FM/107.1
  • Newton — WNNC-AM/1230
  • Raleigh — WCMC-FM/99.9
  • Rocky Mount — WZAX-FM/99.3
  • Salisbury — WSAT-AM/1280
  • Salisbury — WSAT-FM/103.3
  • Shallotte — WVCB-AM/1410
  • Shelby — WOHS-AM/1390
  • Shelby — WOHS-FM/101.5
  • Statesville — WSIC-AM/1400
  • Statesville — WSIC-FM/100.7, 105.9
  • Topsail Beach — WNTB-FM/93.7
  • Wilmington — WNTB-FM/93.7
  • Winston-Salem — WKRR-FM/92.3

Panthers radio affiliates in South Carolina

• Camden — WPUB-FM/102.7
  • Charleston — WYBB-FM/98.1
  • Chesterfield — WVSZ-FM/107.3
  • Columbia — WUDE-FM/94.3
  • Florence — WOHL-AM/1230
  • Florence — WOHL-FM/96.3
  • Greenville — WROQ-FM/101.1
  • Myrtle Beach — WSEA-FM/100.3
  • Rock Hill — WRHM-FM/107.1
  • Spartanburg — WROQ-FM/101.1

Panthers radio affiliates in Virginia

• Bedford — WLVA-FM/94.1
  • Blacksburg — WPIN-AM/810
  • Christiansburg — WPIN-FM/97.1
  • Dalton — WPIN-FM/93.1
  • Hanging Rock — WPLY-AM/610
  • Hanging Rock — WPLY-FM/101.1
  • Hopewell — WHAP-FM/96.9
  • Hopewell — WHAP-AM/1340
  • Lynchburg — WPLI-AM/1390
  • Lynchburg — WPLI-FM/107.5
  • Madison Heights — WLVA-AM/580
  • Madison Heights — WLVA-FM/94.1
  • Salem — WPLY-FM/98.5

Bryan Cranston Mic Drop GIF

• Pie 2
  • Poo 2

8 hours ago, Gerry Green said:

Almost every Panther game is over around 4. So you don't watch any other teams? Then this ain't for you

I might watch other teams if I had a package.

*MIGHT*

But because the NFL bows to dying old school networks, they want to force you and I to buy the entire league instead of a team or two. This is absurd on it's face for any private individual who isn't obsessed with the NFL and wants no life outside of watching games all week during season.

Just do the math. 32 teams. Statistically 15 games per week (not sure exactly how they do the byes, doesn't really matter).  3 hours per game. That's a full time job week to week during the season just watching football. How many people do you think really want that? Some tiny minority of no lifers? And how many of even those losers actually want to watch the Texans vs Broncos game? 

Let me subscribe to my team for the season and pick other games that I want to watch a la carte instead of trying to rip me off by overcharging me for every damn game. Ever ask a bar owner what they have to pay for Sunday ticket? Ever wonder why their firstborn never seems to be around?

The way the networks with their hands up the NFL's arses want it done isn't really for anybody but the networks and maybe the NFL. They want to bend you over to buy the entire season, every game and then claim because you're getting all these games, the vast majority of which you'll never watch, that it's somehow great value when most of it is fluff you don't want. It's certainly in no way shape or form for the fans and consumers.

• Pie 1

10 hours ago, The Lobo said:

The A la carte option would be awesome, I’m bummed the nfl doesn’t want it. 

In theory, sure. In reality I'm not so sure. Simply because it would be a huge spotlight on the massive discrepancy in consumer demand between the teams and on turn, the massive discrepancy in revenue being driven for the league by team. Ultimately, I could see that leading to an argument by the owners of the more popular teams to have that discrepancy reflected in terms of the salary cap. I mean, from a business perspective it would make a ton of sense. If you're driving more revenue you should get a larger operating budget and the overall interest of the league is probably best served by the loft popular teams having a real competitive advantage. From a fan perspective that sucks. 

• Pie 1

11 hours ago, PanthersATL said:

With just 23 days left in the current DirecTV Sunday Ticket contract, Apple has pulled out of the negotiations, leaving just Amazon and Google in the race

word is that Apple wanted to sell individual games or teams, while the NFL wanted to make it an entire package. The NFL also wants to keep a certain price point to appease CBS and FOX from potentially losing viewers. 

as for Disney, while it could have been used to power Disney+ or ESPN subscriptions, the deal was likely too costly for a company currently looking to cut costs,

between this and its video game license monopoly with madden, the NFL may be the worst organization in this country. and it's non-profit, so def that.

• Pie 1

I never understood it myself; back when I moved out of NC I was SHOCKED they didn't have an option just to watch my team.  Before Smart TV's and Air Play was as convenient I had to watch the games with lag and low quality on my computer, or go to a bar. 

That's ridiculous, when they could probably charge $10-15 a game for the season and be done with it.
Pick your teams season, and the option of some other games. I'd think a LOT of people would subscribe to that.

10 hours ago, PanthersATL said:

Direcztv is already out of the consumer conversation, although they may still try to negotiate a continuation for the sports bar business.

I’d like a team-by-team subscription rather than pay for individual games or picking the whole package.  

if the only option is buying the whole package, it’s still cheaper to view/eat/drink at home than it is going to a sports bar and eating/drinking there.

But if the choice is between YouTube and Amazon Prime….. I think more people would would rather  go through Amazon than through Google.

I don't think I know anyone under the age of 40 that has a DirecTV subscription. It's a boomer thing and the future is al la carte. Both the NFL and broadcasters should come to a understanding and make it happen because the only loyal group the NFL has is the boomers and they are retiring and dying.