• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Morale Victories…. You think the Jets want to rethink their 2020 season?

TheBigKat

New York (the big city environment and fans) has to be tough place to play for anybody. I also don't think Fields will be great. He can run is why he's so good right now. It's not easy predicting who's going to be a franchise QB. Besides skills, it's leadership under pressure what ultimately determines if they can handle the position. That you can't really tell until you see them play in the NFL.

26 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

You had to have a QB--Darnold was an unproven bridge when we had the option to pick between Fields and Jones-both, arguably, better than the #1 QB taken in 2022.  So Rhule, in his infinite wisdom, takes a CB. 

Rhule could not develop a rookie QB.  Look at how Corral was handled. He was trying to take the easy way out with failed QB’s from other teams…Teddy, Sam, Baker. It is amazing how each QB was worse than the one before. The guy was completely clueless on how to manage an NFL team. 

• Beer 1

14 hours ago, Smithers said:

I was a big Fields fan.  But the jury is still out imo.  He’s Thrown 10 ints and had 9 fumbles so far this year.  Most of his big plays have been on the ground.  Will he become a complete QB?  Possible.  But he’s still a long ways from that.  I do like the guy though 

This!

i dont understand what everyone is getting so wet over. He makes one spectacular play a game that you see on Sportscenter but then the rest of the game you see a one read then run QB who doesnt throw with any sort of anticipation and his style of play is not sustainable. 

17 hours ago, TheBigKat said:

The Jets now will have wasted two top 3 picks on BUST QBs (Darnold/Wilson). For almost all of the 2020 season the Jets were on their way to the 1st overall pick which would have secured Trevor Lawrence

instead they get the #2 pick in Wilson and a big morale patch for garbage wins and the Jags sneak in and get the #1 pick

now this year the Jets kill it in their draft with Sauce, Breece, Wilson and poised to be a great team except they can’t really compete because you guessed it, their QB stinks

Darnolds head coaches have included ADAM GASE AND MATT RHULE.

A little hard to call him a bust when he hasn't had a competent coaching staff or front office considering his two head coaches were megalomaniacs who didn't know what they were doing and continuously traded away draft picks, who could've turned into impact players, instead of just playing the game.

Give me Mayer, give me Hyatt, give me Moore, Marshall, and Foreman, along with a competent offensive coaching staff, and then let's see what Darnold can do. 

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, MHS831 said:

You had to have a QB--Darnold was an unproven bridge when we had the option to pick between Fields and Jones-both, arguably, better than the #1 QB taken in 2022.  So Rhule, in his infinite wisdom, takes a CB. 

A big part of the reason we lost against Pitt is because we had 2 CBs injured and our 4th CB couldn't cover anyone.

CBs are hugely important too.

• Pie 1

24 minutes ago, CPcavedweller said:

A little hard to call him a bust when he hasn't had a competent coaching staff or front office considering his two head coaches were megalomaniacs who didn't know what they were doing and continuously traded away draft picks, who could've turned into impact players, instead of just playing the game.

Give me Mayer, give me Hyatt, give me Moore, Marshall, and Foreman, along with a competent offensive coaching staff, and then let's see what Darnold can do. 

It's year 5. He is a bust for where he was picked without any doubt.

If he went in the 3rd and was played conservatively then he would be a good backup. The dream he is a butterfly and will come out of his chrysalis as a franchise QB is the reality it was just a cocoon and he's a just a moth.

Needing the best around him just to function at a rudimentary level is not good enough. He has had a rough ride but he was a big part of why those people failed because relying on Sam just proved how bad they really were at thier jobs.

• Pie 3

On 12/24/2022 at 11:46 PM, CPcavedweller said:

I have been saying this since he came here.  He still need to improve and prove it on the field but he is on a upward trend for sure.

On 12/24/2022 at 10:13 AM, Waldo said:

It's year 5. He is a bust for where he was picked without any doubt.

If he went in the 3rd and was played conservatively then he would be a good backup. The dream he is a butterfly and will come out of his chrysalis as a franchise QB is the reality it was just a cocoon and he's a just a moth.

Needing the best around him just to function at a rudimentary level is not good enough. He has had a rough ride but he was a big part of why those people failed because relying on Sam just proved how bad they really were at thier jobs.

While I don't disagree with any of this, the play of Geno Smith this year makes me pause just a bit. I think Darnold is every bit as talented as Geno. He's not a "franchise QB" like a Mahomes, Allen, or Burrow given he needs a lot of structure and support with a good OL and a stout run game, but how many QBs DON'T need that? The 3 I mentioned plus a couple of others?

• Pie 1

On 12/23/2022 at 3:51 PM, Smithers said:

I was a big Fields fan.  But the jury is still out imo.  He’s Thrown 10 ints and had 9 fumbles so far this year.  Most of his big plays have been on the ground.  Will he become a complete QB?  Possible.  But he’s still a long ways from that.  I do like the guy though 

Well let’s face it, unless a team like the 49ers trades up, top QBs are going to bad teams 

the bears have nothing but him…plus his second coach and new system in 2 years 

put fields behind the panthers line this year…awesome…of course Rhule would still be here so who knows 

• Beer 1

8 minutes ago, raleigh-panther said:

Well let’s face it, unless a team like the 49ers trades up, top QBs are going to bad teams 

the bears have nothing but him…plus his second coach and new system in 2 years 

put fields behind the panthers line this year…awesome…of course Rhule would still be here so who knows 

you got it figured out- only Joe burrow has been able to wash the stink off a yearly losing team....herbo is close.

I was not a fields fan, i drove the lance bus. For 20 games fields didnt even look like a XFL QB, did everyone forget his epic 1st game?? Now for 8 games hes done a Cam 2.2 impression, very impressive. Legs are weapons and hes showing why good running QBs are nightmares. 

Bears trade all-world LB RSmith and pass rush killer quinn..... if not for the texans, bears would be the worst rosters in the league. I do like the TE, but thats about it......even lost their best OLman weeks ago, jenkins(the guy they traded up for with the panthers) his career maybe over as a result. pulling a burrow is the hardest thing on all of sports, props hes done this well. 

• Pie 1

On 12/23/2022 at 6:28 PM, SmokinwithWilly said:

Could also be the system. When you play with some of the best OL, WRs and RBs in college football, it can leave some questions about the ability to perform under adverse situations because he very rarely had to. Not saying it's justified, but it's probably a consideration. 

Jalen Hurts is another great example. 

On 12/23/2022 at 5:33 PM, LinvilleGorge said:

Ouch.

I wanted Field too. I honestly didn't think he'd be there. When he was it was an absolutely no brainer pick. Horn looks like he's going to be a very good CB for a long time but it won't matter until we solve the QB problem.

This. Was shocked when he fell and we didn’t take him

4 hours ago, UNCrules2187 said:

While I don't disagree with any of this, the play of Geno Smith this year makes me pause just a bit. I think Darnold is every bit as talented as Geno. He's not a "franchise QB" like a Mahomes, Allen, or Burrow given he needs a lot of structure and support with a good OL and a stout run game, but how many QBs DON'T need that? The 3 I mentioned plus a couple of others?

Darnold looks not terrible behind a massive run game and good oline play. He has lost when the run game fails. Watching the Lions come into a game completely unfocused while the Panthers played pissed off after being embaresed was the game on Saturday. Darnold is not turning the ball over but he also isn't producing as much compared to when he was.

As far as G Smith goes it's a nice story but it isn't a long term option beyond buying time to keep trying to hit on a franchise QB. I'm really currious how much is system and coachig vs the player after watching Wilson completely flop in Denver. I wouldn't want Geno here but going from franchise QB to Geno could have beem a lot worse but it's not good enough anyway you look at it. They don't look close to winning a SB with Gino so it really won't matter who is better because neither is good enough.