• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Pray for Tee Higgins as well.

panthers55

This is a rare incident which happens when there is blunt force trauma to the heart at a particular time during the heart beat. It is called commotio cortis and happens in many sports. I heard of a guy who died from a home made potato gun which blew back against his chest and his heart stopped. 

https://www.sportsmedtoday.com/commotio-cordis-va-88.htm#:~:text=This rare cause of the,from any type of blow.

• Pie 1

15 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

This is a rare incident which happens when there is blunt force trauma to the heart at a particular time during the heart beat. It is called commotio cortis and happens in many sports. I heard of a guy who died from a home made potato gun which blew back against his chest and his heart stopped. 

https://www.sportsmedtoday.com/commotio-cordis-va-88.htm#:~:text=This rare cause of the,from any type of blow.

Thanks for sharing this. I saw a live interview yesterday with a cardiologist who explained how it came about in this particular incident but he didn't go into cases beyond this one. He said its almost impossible to replicate. 

Edited by Jon Snow

8 minutes ago, Daddy_Uncle said:

I may be wrong but Hamlin collapsing had nothing to do with the hit, right? He just went into cardio arrest and collapsed 

No I think it's likely it was caused by the hit directly to his chest. Freak play/timing for it to turn out like it did but if he wasn't hit like that he would've been just fine.

24 minutes ago, Daddy_Uncle said:

I may be wrong but Hamlin collapsing had nothing to do with the hit, right? He just went into cardio arrest and collapsed 

this may be what the NFL ultimately tries to say to avoid any potential lawsuits, but like @t96 said....if he hadn't gotten hit in the exact way/place/10th of a second....he would have been fine. the hit happening where/how/when it happened caused the heart attack.

but like everyone else has been saying, it's a very freak situation that happens incredibly rarely and you couldn't replicate it if you tried. in all the millions of hits that have ever happened in the NFL, this is the only time it has ever  resulted in commotio cortis. there was no reason to anticipate it and there's very little likelihood it will be seen again in any of our lifetimes. 

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, rayzor said:

bart scott should have kept that opinion to himself.

anyone else with that opinion should as well. it's a crappy take, but then you think of the consequences of voicing that opinion when it really does no good whatsoever...it's really just not worth it.

I would like to know if the comments by Bart Scott were the way he really felt or someone above his pay grade was aware of what he was going to say and encouraged it. We may never know. 

Isnt there like one in a billion chance a chest impact causes cardiac arrest? Its much more common in hockey/boxing/mma from what I've heard because its from a strike to the chest at particular nanoseconds (literally) in the heart beat process.

Edit: yep https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/rcna64020

Edited by thunderraiden

I heard about this story a couple years ago and it really moved me. I immediately thought about Brad Gaines and Tee Higgins. I believe I saw a short on ESPN about this story several years ago. Grief and remorse are a powerful thing. https://www.djournal.com/sports/college/forever-connected-25-years-later-brad-gaines-still-visits-mullins-grave/article_c5a204b1-1475-5f20-9e15-ca24314bbeec.html

• Pie 1

Man this world is full of idiots.  No reason for Tee to feel any responsibility or guilt on what was a very routine play for any given football game when the injury occurred.  

I keep thinking back, for further reference of just how crazy the game is and how rare that injury is, is the fact I remember when Steve McNair got hit and broke his fuging sternum.  Like how would that not have caused something like this? And yet it didn't.  Or like Mo Lewis' hit on Bledsoe that started the Brady Era.  He hit him in the chest and literally almost killed him (i believe from internal bleeding)...  but it didn't cause cardiac arrest.  Yet, this play was very mild compared to all of them, but again, if it was commotio cortis, it was the timing in which the impact happened withing Hamlin's heartbeat cycle.  Their odds of what happened actually happening were probably smaller than being struck by lightning...  just a very unlucky situation to find themselves in.  And yet, very lucky it happened when it where it did for Hamlin.

• Beer 1