• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ellis Williams. How to turn the Panthers around in one year

raleigh-panther

I was called down for posting full articles so I’ll just give the link and  full write up on one of the four sections   

How Panthers can begin competing for championships under new coach Frank Reich

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article272022907.html

Find a big and mobile quarterback

Size plus escapability matter more than ever at quarterback. 

Arm talent aside, Philadelphia quarterback Jalen Hurts is as stocky a quarterback as there is. Kansas City’s Patrick Mahomes has repeatedly proven that his escapability and off-script playmaking are his most valuable traits. Cincinnati’s 6-foot-4 Joe Burrow is used to being one of the most hit and sacked quarterbacks yet still makes plays. 

San Francisco rookie quarterback Brock Purdy is listed at 6-foot-1 and weighs 210 pounds. But his stature could not hold up against the Eagles’ defensive line. Edge rusher Haason Reddick injured Purdy’s throwing elbow just six minutes into the NFC Championship. Then backup Josh Johnson (6-foot-2, 200 pounds) was knocked out of the game with a concussion just 23 plays later.

Championship weekend highlighted why size plus escapability is necessary for NFL quarterbacks. No matter how good an offensive line is, quarterbacks are going to take dangerous in-pocket hits. Smaller quarterbacks are more susceptible to injury. Dolphins quarterback Tua Tagovailoa sustained multiple concussions this season throwing from the pocket and missed five games including the Dolphins’ lone playoff contest, as an example.

Smaller quarterbacks can succeed in the NFL but are they worth the risk? That’s what every team considering Bryce Young — the No. 1 prospect in the upcoming draft — should ask itself. 

Young can make every throw and is a proven leader. But he’s listed at 6-foot and weighs under 200 pounds. Meanwhile, the three other top quarterback prospects (Will Levis, C.J. Stroud and Anthony Richardson) are all 6-foot-3 or taller and weigh between 220 and 235 pounds. 

Pass rushers keep getting quicker, faster, bigger and stronger. It’s logical that quarterbacks who are doing the same will continue winning the war of attrition that is the NFL playoffs. 

Build on pass-rushing depth

Pour resources into offensive weapons

Hire a veteran coaching staff

• Pie 6

This is a project that needs a QB, stud TE, and maybe a few holes filled on Defense. 

Get the QB and the TE, and I promise you, the offense is good enough to compete.  Add a LB, Edge, and DB or two, and the defense is top 10.

Six players will do it.  Yes, more would be better, before some chime in with statements of the obvious.  More better players is more better.  We all get that concept.

Edited by MHS831
  • Pie 7
  • Beer 2

2 minutes ago, Catsfan69 said:

The author lost me at Purdy's size being the cause of his injury.

When a QB has his shoulder and elbow torqued to throw and gets hit while in or starting his motion things just tear.

It's just the way things happen.

Yeah. I am all for a bigger QB and agree the wear and tear of n a smaller guy can/will impact him down the stretch but when you use certain examples in your argument that don’t hold water it’s disappointing.  If a QB is 6”1 he’s made of glass but at 6”3 he is iron.  Not really.

That said I would ideally like a bigger QB and would give Stroud the nod over Young.  If u pull the trigger on AR or Levis I hope it works out.  Davis Mills, Mariota and Darnold and a lot of other NFL QBs are all 6”3 ish and we’re good in college but they probably aren’t taking you anywhere.  

agree with OP though. Gotta swing for some of these guys (QB, TE, LB etc..) and get them on the roster.  Everyone will be flawed in some way but if you wait for perfection you’re going to be waiting.  

• Pie 2

Just now, Pejorative Miscreant said:

Yeah. I am all for a bigger QB and agree the wear and tear of n a smaller guy can/will impact him down the stretch but when you use certain examples in your argument that don’t hold water it’s disappointing.  If a QB is 6”1 he’s made of glass but at 6”3 he is iron.  Not really.

That said I would ideally like a bigger QB and would give Stroud the nod over Young.  If u pull the trigger on AR or Levis I hope it works out.  Davis Mills, Mariota and Darnold and a lot of other NFL QBs are all 6”3 ish and we’re good in college but they probably aren’t taking you anywhere.  

agree with OP though. Gotta swing for some of these guys (QB, TE, LB etc..) and get them on the roster.  Everyone will be flawed in some way but if you wait for perfection you’re going to be waiting.  

I think the point he is trying to make is that bigger qbs can handle routine hits better then guys young and purdys size.  I think that is what he is trying to say, it does come out a bit awkward using that example.

• Pie 1

17 minutes ago, Catsfan69 said:

The author lost me at Purdy's size being the cause of his injury.

When a QB has his shoulder and elbow torqued to throw and gets hit while in or starting his motion things just tear.

It's just the way things happen.

But if he was 19 ft tall, the injury might not have happened.

Just now, Tbe said:

I’m starting to think Young will be the 3rd QB taken and MAY even fall to us at 9.

Size is a concern. I don’t expect Bryce to have too many full seasons.

If he falls to 9 then he needs to keep falling, we dont need to be the team that saves him.   And I seriously cannot imagine a coach like Reich wanting to hitch his wagon to that to start his tenure off. 

38 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

This is a project that needs a QB, stud TE, and maybe a few holes filled on Defense. 

Get the QB and the TE, and I promise you, the offense is good enough to compete.  Add a LB, Edge, and DB or two, and the defense is top 10.

Six players will do it.  Yes, more would be better, before some chime in with statements of the obvious.  More better players is more better.  We all get that concept.

Get a safety that can put Chinn back at LB and you kill two birds with one stone. That players needed goes down from 6 to 5. But I agree with your assessment of what's needed.

• Pie 7

You turn the Panthers around by stopping trying to chase this one year turnaround. That's what we did under Rhule. All the whole we were talking about this 5 year plans our actions showed we were constantly seeking the instant turnaround.

Find a QB to build around. Fortunately we have intriguing young talent at pretty much every other key position.

• Pie 3

22 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

If he falls to 9 then he needs to keep falling, we dont need to be the team that saves him.   And I seriously cannot imagine a coach like Reich wanting to hitch his wagon to that to start his tenure off. 

If Reich wouldn’t draft Young at 9, he’s not as smart as I currently view him. 

• Pie 3