• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What is it with this fanbase and their love for bridge vet QB's?

CamWhoaaCam

3 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

I've been in favor of starting a rookie all along. If he flops you pick another next season.  But my job is not on the line as a fan. It's a little complicated when you have to put your job on the line. The owner may not agree with my approach. 

I'm not opposed to starting a rookie, but I also realize it may take more than a year to declare someone a franchise QB. None of the top 4 right now give me the "that's my QB" feeling. 

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

I'm not opposed to starting a rookie, but I also realize it may take more than a year to declare someone a franchise QB. None of the top 4 right now give me the "that's my QB" feeling. 

Me either.  The best qb in this class may not break 5'9" and you will need to be in the number 1 spot if you want him. Even then he's not the best player in the draft.  

• Pie 2

There were probably Rams fans pissed about trading for Stafford. I don't think Carr is quite on Stafford's level but I do think he's a legit QB in a similar bad situation and it won't surprise me if he has considerably more success on the W-L front elsewhere.

I'd prefer draft but I wouldn't be mad about Carr.

• Pie 3

Mahomes, Brady, Rodgers to name a few, all sat behind bridge or aging QBs for a little while until they took over. When done right, it is the best situation for a rookie to come in and learn from a vet and not have all the pressure on him. The best situation for us would be to get Carr as a bridge, who is better than all the ones we got in the past, and draft Stroud. Then let Stroud take over when he is ready.

Edited by KillerKat
  • Pie 1

8 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Alex Smith was not a bridge QB. He was signed as a starter and went to the playoffs 4 out of 5 years. They liked Mahomes better, but Smith was not a Teddy. They just realized they needed more than Smith or realized Mahomes was just a stud that couldn’t be passed up. Signing Teddy wasn’t in the same ballpark of the KC scenario and we didn’t draft a QB. We actually thought Teddy could be the guy, lol.

We probably need to define terms.  My definition of a bridge QB is somebody who is starting under center until the next guy is ready.  The progress of the next guy dictates when that transition occurs.

By that definition, while Smith was not designed to be a bridge QB when KC acquired him, he became one the minute they drafted Mahomes. 

As opposed to Favre handing the reins (albeit somewhat unwillingly) to Rodgers back in the day.  Favre controlled when that transition took place even though Rodgers was the heir apparent.  Had Favre not announced his retirement (the first time), he may have become a bridge QB in that last year in GB.

As for Teddy, when they signed him it was advertised to be as a bridge QB with the possibility of being the answer.  His contract structure supported that, with the decision point being after year two with a bigger salary in year three and small dead money.  Then we effed that up when we figured out he was not the answer in year one.  Had they been patient and stuck to the original plan, would they have drafted a QB in 2021?  It was going to be either that or sign another bridge, with our without any thought they could be the answer.  But one would like to think they would have thought harder about Fields (or Jones) than they did after their love affair with Darnold took hold. 

• Beer 1

Appreciate your posts OP. 

As for the topic at hand, I think treating Carr as a “bridge” is only going to disgruntle him, and I don’t think it’s what he’s looking for. If you are going after Carr, then you have to and need to fully commit to him. Picking him up, signing him to a contract that’s probably around 35 mil, and then drafting a rookie at 9 doesn’t make much sense.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

You have to ask yourself this…can the Panthers get into position for the QB they want?  These guys have to be available in some way for us to acquire them.  We can’t say later we should’ve done this or that when we couldn’t make the deal because other teams had better ammo.

I can’t understand the thought of signing Carr to a big deal that he’s going to get and then drafting a QB at 9 and both losing the benefit of a rookie QB contract and taking weapons away from your new investment.

Signing Carr very well could get us to the playoffs but not much more and would make it a lot harder to keep important pieces here when managing our cap space.  It’s a low upside floor play but if that’s the desire then so be it.

I’d much rather give up a number of picks and go get our long term guy and leverage his contract to add talent around him in Free Agency the next 2-3 years. 

But signing Carr and drafting a QB would just be some half in half out decision making that would limit the impact of both players and make it painfully obvious the organization has no confidence in its direction.

If you sign Carr you can draft the QB of the future in 2-3 years if one falls but it’s more likely it’s a Cousins situation where it’s too hard to get out of and too hard to trade high enough to replace. That Alex Smith Mahomes situation isn’t something anyone should bank on.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

I'm not enamored with Carr, and I'm not convinced that he'd provide us the best value for our money. Sure, he may be better than what we've had in awhile, but he's not exactly lighting the world on fire, especially in the win-loss column. He had weapons, but still just couldn't get it done this past season. That's a red flag.

Edited by top dawg
  • Pie 2