• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Steve Smith: "I asked for a release."

MechaZain

51 minutes ago, frankw said:

Meh. The blood and guts game settled anything that needed be said or proven in either direction. And if we had 89 in SB50 we likely win. But it's all history now.

I really want to argue against what you've said here... I start to write something, then I stop, figure on it a bit, then try a different angle, then just stop again.

I think you've said volumes here and speak to the truth of the matter. Well done.

• Beer 1

2 hours ago, electro's horse said:

This is opposite all the reporting that was ever done about his release, including things he himself said. 

think smith miiiiight be revising history a tad. 

This is what I came in to post.  I personally heard Steve Smith explain the situation and he was very specific in the details.

14 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Having encountered Smith a few times, I can endorse the fact that he is an asshole.  He has the MHS Grade A++ Gold-plated seal as a 5'7" custard launcher and advanced certification in Rectal Spelunking.

Here is what everyone forgets about Smitty: Name a rookie WR who did well here while he was here?  I saw him verbally abuse Dwayne Jarrett all day long at an OTA--Spoke to Jarrett about it after the practice, and he was biting his lip he was so pissed off.  He slapped my hand when I offered it to support him, and he slapped it hard.  It made me think about Smith's altercations with teammates (fists).  I know Clausen sucked, but he went after him in public-not the professional way of addressing that issue.  While his stats and performance as a player were solid, what did it cost this team because he sucks as a person and teammate? Hard to say. 

He'd agree with you. In this same interview he says his biggest regret was how he treated his teammates. He's upfront about maturity issues as a player. It's something he's overcome only just recently. Honestly one of the cooler character redemption stories in sports.

• Pie 2

2 hours ago, PootieNunu said:

Gettleman has been garbage x2 nothing is going to redeem him. He sucks at drafting and has too big of an ego. 

Gettleman has become beyond underrated. Only GM responsible for 3 straight playoff appearances. Just look at the giants foundation and it should be obvious how good he was. Daniel Jones, Saquon, Andrew Thomas, Dexter Lawrence, Leonard Williams, Xavier McKinney.

i love the hate he got for letting Norman walk and drafting bradberry. Norman never replicated his 2015 season and Bradberry had been the better player from that point. He was a bust of a contract for Washington.

Thomas Davis called out gettleman for not extending his contract. Hurney gave him 2 more years and his production dropped considerably. Greg Olsen called out gettleman for not extending his contract. Hurney swooped in and saved the day. Olsen never surpassed 600 yards or 4 touchdowns again.

it was widely spoke about that the release of Steve smith was the best thing for cams development. He went on to win a MVP and win a nfc championship.

i find it comical how much hate gettleman gets from panthers fans when the baseline for almost two decades had been journalist marty meatball Hurney.

• Pie 6
  • Beer 1

Just now, NJPanthers12 said:

Gettleman has become beyond underrated. Only GM responsible for 3 straight playoff appearances. Just look at the giants foundation and it should be obvious how good he was. Daniel Jones, Saquon, Andrew Thomas, Dexter Lawrence, Leonard Williams, Xavier McKinney.

i love the hate he got for letting Norman walk and drafting bradberry. Norman never replicated his 2015 season and Bradberry had been the better player from that point. He was a bust of a contract for Washington.

Thomas Davis called out gettleman for not extending his contract. Hurney gave him 2 more years and his production dropped considerably. Greg Olsen called out gettleman for not extending his contract. Hurney swooped in and saved the day. Olsen never surpassed 600 yards or 4 touchdowns again.

it was widely spoke about that the release of Steve smith was the best thing for cams development. He went on to win a MVP and win a nfc championship.

i find it comical how much hate gettleman gets from panthers fans when the baseline for almost two decades had been journalist marty meatball Hurney.

What's funny is Gettleman won with Hurney's players lol

A fellow Panthers teammate once said "When I talk about Steve Smith coming in as an angry man, it was more about a chip on his shoulder and being able to prove everybody wrong," .

Smith carried that chip until the end of his career, which ended with the Baltimore Ravens in 2016 after being cut by the Panthers in 2013.

QB Jake Delhomme said "Players were literally scared of him."

Former Utah teammate and long-time Panthers teammate Jordan Gross,  agreed. "Steve just played pissed off. " "In college, Steve literally got into fistfights with teammates. Every day, almost. ... The same things that got him in trouble, whether it was punching a teammate or whatever, were the same traits that made him a Hall of Fame receiver."

1 hour ago, NJPanthers12 said:

YES dude 

I have been saying for years that Gettleman was actually a good GM. Did he rub people the wrong way? Yea. Did he make good football decisions? For the most part yes which is more than you can say for a lot of GMs

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1