• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ian Rapoport: Panthers likely to have interest in Jimmy Garoppolo

TheSpecialJuan

29 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Notice the trend?

We pass on elite QB's Rodgers/Lamar and settle for the mid tier QB's Carr/Jimmy G.

I called this yesterday so im not surprised. I know the Tepper way.

Tepper buying the Panthers is the worst thing that ever happended. You got people in the media calling us a loser franchise. The sad part is they are right. Tepper makes losing decisions.

Carr is significantly better than Jimmy G.

• Poo 1

5 hours ago, SameDamnThing said:

This wouldn’t be a bad move at all. Think about it like this. We draft a rookie QB and give up 24 and 25 first. Any QB we draft could benefit from a year under Reich regardless of who it is. We need a QB good enough to keep us competitive in the short term while our future QB gets mental reps and instruction to be ready to win when he starts in year 2. Our WR and TE group will need to develop as well with a veteran QB so when rookie takes over they know the assignment. We could sneak into contention and it would be amazing for the room to get that experience before rookie takes over the huddle. 

Sorry, I just don’t get this. A 5-7 win team over the past 5 years and we want to “stay competitive”? What does that even mean? If we know we can’t compete for a SB, it’s a waste. The goal is to compete for a SB. The rookie QB progression is all that matters especially if we gutted our draft picks to get him. This isn’t a Mahomes situation where we already have Smith and went to the playoffs the prior few seasons. The Chiefs won their division the two years prior to Mahomes starting going 22-10. We have 22 wins in the past four years. Same with Lance and Garrapolo, although clearly Lance wasn’t ready but SF was a playoff team already.

Our situation is like the Bengals with Burrow, Chargers with Herbert, Bills with Allen, Jax with Lawrence, Jets with Wilson (didn’t work), maybe Miami with Tua (injury delayed start) and maybe Jones with NE where they got rid of Cam as the vet.

I love Jimmy G, the guy just wins (and yes he's better than Carr let's be real).  He's actually a really good quarterback and would be a nice get for this team as a bridge QB.  The "problem" with Jimmy is the constant injuries.  Which if anyone paid attention last year struck practically every Niners QB they had.  Signing Jimmy also ensures this team can be competitive next year regardless if we draft a QB or not. 

There are no guarantees that we are going to land a rookie QB in the first this year.  I expect the Panthers to be aggressive, im praying it happens, but i'm not dumb enough to think something cant go wrong and we get frozen out of a signal caller.  The other team has to agree to the terms we offer, so it's not all in our hands.  There are multiple teams in front of us that also want QBs.  If we fail to land one of the 4, at least Jimmy will give us some stability in the short term.  You can look back on my posts, i hated the Teddy signing, i also really hated the Darnold signing.  Baker was a very low risk move that was worth exploring, it didn't hurt us whatsoever.  Jimmy is on another level than those guys and i would be genuinely excited.

Now i also don't think we are the leader to sign him, based on reports Vegas is the team to watch.  I also have to believe Fitterer will have a good idea of our chances of trading up before free agency starts next week.  So if the Panthers are aggressive in signing Jimmy, you can take that as a sign they are not confident a move up is happening and your stuck waiting for someone to drop to 9.