• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Three weeks out - temperature check

NAS

Temperature check - who should be the pick?  

146 members have voted

1. 1. Who should the Panthers draft with #1 Pick?

• Anthony Richardson
    • Bryce Young
    • CJ Stroud
    • Will Levis

1 hour ago, MHS831 said:

I can literally say that I think either would be great--and I would understand the decision when made.   I think we can win with either qb--and I do not pretend to know enough about both to have my mind made up.  If we take Young, you bet your arse I am going to make sure my OL is elite and that he processes more quickly in a spread offense that features getting rid of the ball.  I recently posted a stat from his college playing career that said he gets rid of the ball 0.2 seconds faster than the average.  The average QB in the NFL gets rid of the ball about 2.5-2.7 seconds.  (Ironically, Mahommes, Mayfield, Jones, Allen, and Jackson took the longest time to throw--around 3 seconds).

The report basically said that a QB who throws the ball at 2.5 seconds has about a 15% chance of being pressured.  If the QB takes 3 seconds, the likelihood for pressure increases to nearly 40%. (in 2019 according to PFF,  Newton was holding the ball 2.9 seconds and his average time to throw before pressure was at 2.56 seconds--0.3 tenths less than Josh Allen in Buffalo.) If the QB takes 4 seconds and has not thrown the ball, pressure is likely 55% of the time.  On average, the article says that QBs face pressure 35% of the time.

So here is the rub.  Bryce is better throwing under pressure than Stroud.  He is smaller, so there is more incentive to get the ball out more quickly, something he naturally does.  Stroud has a quick release and is accurate, so there is no reason to think that his success throwing from a clean pocket is not related to his decision-making.  So do you risk injury (as some think) with the smaller qb who is better under pressure, or do you go with the bigger QB who is not as effective under pressure? 

I thought I read that Young holds the ball for 3 seconds, maybe I don’t remember correctly?

1 hour ago, kungfoodude said:

I think either guy is acceptable to me personally. I favor Young because I think he might be the best at processing information that we have seen in a while coming out of college.

I am not going to get mega butthurt if we draft Stroud. He is a very good prospect in his own right.

Of course that is a minority opinion since this place has largely devolved into two cages of warring Young and Stroud monkeys, screeching and flinging poo at each other in every thread.

I'm in agreement with this, except my preference is Stroud over Young.

The problem is that I read both Stroud and Young will be gone by the time we select at #1.

• Flames 3

For context, QB at 1 can go a few ways. Here's 2018's draft and the article posted two days prior to the draft...

Apr 24, 2018, 5:52 AM

A well-connected NFL executive with ties to the Cleveland Browns told ESPN's Adam Schefter that the Browns could take quarterback Baker Mayfield with the No. 1 pick in the NFL Draft on Thursday.

In a recent survey of 13 NFL Draft experts, Mayfield had an average draft position of 6.5 overall and wasn't projected to go any higher than No. 3 to the New York Jets. Of those experts, nine had Allen going No. 1, and the other four speculated that the Browns would take Darnold.

For all the AR fans, there's still hope. Haha.

• Beer 1

My preference is Bryce then CJ second. 

What ultimately separates the two for me is their on-field intangibles and instincts.

If the NFL game was just pure 7on7 football - CJ throws the cleanest passes - on time, with touch and good velocity at all three levels of the field. 

The issues for me come with his counterpunch - when the pocket isn't clean; when talent on the opposing side is equal or superior; when a designed play doesn't go as planned. 

What do we consider his signature win? Rosebowl vs Utah or @ Penn State

• Pie 1

Would love Stroud

Intrigued but nervous about BY

Very intrigued about AR IF our staff thinks they can get him where he needs to be throwing the ball. He would make an instant impact in the running game. Could turn into a better version of Lamar.