• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Person: Richardson still in the conversation...if we trade down

Mr. Scot

6 minutes ago, csx said:

That only depends on the compensation and who they get after the trade.

I don't think you can just say it's bad without knowing what it is.

There is no way the Texans would give us enough to make up for DJ Moore, just to move up one spot. 

12 minutes ago, Mage said:

I can’t believe the idea the Panthers will trade down is still being floated. You don’t trade for #1 to not make a pick there. Especially when to acquire #1, you had to trade your best offensive player. 

There is just no chance the Panthers are trading down.

At the time of the trade to #1 . . .maybe.  But no chance?  Never?  Things can change no matter what you thought in the past.  Pigeon holing yourself is the wrong decision.

• Pie 1

Excerpts from the article:

The Florida quarterback with the Cam Newton-like physique remains under consideration by the Panthers, according to a source with knowledge of the situation. Though Richardson and Will Levis have been viewed widely as throwaways when it comes to the Panthers’ plans, Richardson is still in the mix.

Whether the 6-foot-4, 244-pound Richardson would be — or should be — the pick at No. 1 is another conversation. While there’s no questioning Richardson’s raw talent and potential, I’ve maintained the Panthers gave up too many assets (including a living, breathing one in DJ Moore) to use the first pick on a quarterback who looks like the epitome of a boom-or-bust prospect.

Now, if the Panthers were to trade back with Houston and recoup some of the picks they dealt to Chicago, Richardson wouldn’t loom quite as large of a risk for Frank Reich and Scott Fitterer if they took him at No. 2. That scenario makes some sense, provided the draft-pick haul is significant.

The Panthers already have been involved in trade talks that involved the Texans’ second overall selection. As The Athletic reported, Bears general manager Ryan Poles was intrigued by the possibility of moving down a spot to Houston’s pick at 2, then trading again — this time with the Panthers — to move down to 9. The Panthers were open to the idea.

“We were trying to get to 1 or 2, ideally 1,” Fitterer told The Athletic at the NFL owners meetings. “One was really expensive. But then I think it became manageable when we threw in the (second-round pick) in 2025 to get there.”

So the Panthers were comfortable with two of the top four quarterbacks when they finalized the trade with Chicago on March 10. Maybe that’s still the case. But while Stroud felt like the favorite — and was the betting favorite in Vegas — for several weeks after the trade, the tide seems to have turned back toward Young, the former Crimson Tide quarterback who is now the oddsmakers’ pick again.

Richardson also fared well on the S2, which Panthers owner David Tepper is a big believer in. And for good reason: Quarterbacks who have performed well on the test in recent years include Joe Burrow, Josh Allen, Patrick Mahomes and Brock Purdy, who was last year’s high-scorer, Jeremiah said.

So Richardson has that going for him, along with a tantalizing skill set. As many predicted, Richardson wowed scouts, GMs and coaches with an epic showing at the combine.

The problem with Richardson is that too many of his throws hit the ground during his lone season as the Gators’ starter. Richardson completed just 53.8 percent of his passes in 2022, which ranked 105th among 113 FBS quarterbacks.

“My completion percentage, some people say, is not great. I don’t think it’s great either,” Richardson said at the combine. “But it’s just growing as a quarterback. Not every year is going to be your best year. I definitely learned a lot from last season.”

It’s hard to imagine there are many teams better equipped to develop Richardson than Carolina, which — with Reich, Josh McCown and Jim Caldwell — boasts three coaches with extensive experience playing and/or coaching the position.

Richardson said in Indianapolis that his combine interview with the Panthers was “great,” and he enjoyed getting to know the coaches and drawing up a few plays for them. It sounds like the feeling was mutual.

Unless Houston is hell bent on getting Bryce Young and/or hates CJ Stroud and Anthony Richardson, I see no way they would trade up. The Panthers would also need to drum up some smoke that they are planning to trade down and someone else is going to scoop Young #1 overall.

I see no scenarios that this happens. 

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, hepcat said:

Unless Houston is hell bent on getting Bryce Young and/or hates CJ Stroud and Anthony Richardson, I see no way they would trade up. The Panthers would also need to drum up some smoke that they are planning to trade down and someone else is going to scoop Young #1 overall.

I see no scenarios that this happens. 

USATSI_13476347.jpg

• Pie 1

6 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

USATSI_13476347.jpg

That’s the only team that might do it. But if the Panthers trade down to #4, they either need to be content with getting Will Levis (barf) or they’d probably have to trade up to #3 with Arizona to prevent someone from trading up for Richardson.