• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers signing Yannick Ngakoue?

24 minutes ago, KSpan said:

Doubters of what exactly? It's a fork-in-the-road type of decision that will have a big impact, good or bad, for many years. Perfectly reasonable to discuss, just like the trade to #1. 

These 'hater' and 'doubter' junk is lame. Making the hard decisions is a part of football and being unwilling to handle discussing them as such is weak.

His play this season is fair game that's the way it goes for all Panthers players. But the trade was over 6 months ago. Complaining about it is beyond crying over spilt milk. It's no different than the two or three Panthers fans still angry we picked Bryce Young. The choice was made. Grow up and live with it.

On 5/3/2023 at 7:41 AM, Prowler2k18 said:

Of the remaining FA EDGE/DE/OLB players, Leonard Floyd is the perfect fit for what we needed. However, it depends on his asking price and if he’s desires to be part of a team that’s resetting with a rookie QB, new staff and schemes vs a true contender.

Yannick is not the edge setter DC EJ needs in our 3-4 scheme and neither is the overrated, injury-prone and potentially overpriced Clowney. 

Not saying he’s a great fit here but is Frank Clark still a FA?

1 hour ago, frankw said:

His play this season is fair game that's the way it goes for all Panthers players. But the trade was over 6 months ago. Complaining about it is beyond crying over spilt milk. It's no different than the two or three Panthers fans still angry we picked Bryce Young. The choice was made. Grow up and live with it.

On the contrary, the first potential outcome of the trade was just revealed last week via the draft and it will remain relevant through at least 2025 when that last Rams pick would have happened. You and posters/fans like you are the ones who need to grow up and deal with the objective reality of that fact, not those who wish to discuss and analyze.

Edited by KSpan

12 hours ago, KSpan said:

On the contrary, the first potential outcome of the trade was just revealed last week via the draft and it will remain relevant through at least 2025 when that last Rams pick would have happened. You and posters/fans like you are the ones who need to grow up and deal with the objective reality of that fact, not those who wish to discuss and analyze.

I actually find it weird when people stop thinking or talking about a player the second he leaves the building.

13 hours ago, Peppers90 NC said:

Not saying he’s a great fit here but is Frank Clark still a FA?

Clark is still available.  These days he seems to be hitting QBs instead of sacking them.

image.png.4e49e557c5dc87f33fe89e1a225ab0fa.png

Edited by Wes21

On 5/2/2023 at 4:04 PM, TheSpecialJuan said:

I find it sort of strange that DE Yannick Ngakoue, after spending the first four seasons of his career with the Jacksonville Jaguars has played on four teams in the last three seasons, getting traded three times.

However, regardless of where he is playing, Ngakoue has proven to be a great pass rusher. He has recorded at least eight sacks in every season of his career.

In addition to the sacks, he has at least six tackles for loss and 11 quarterback hits in every season as well.

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, Wes21 said:

I actually find it weird when people stop thinking or talking about a player the second he leaves the building.

2 hours ago, KatsAzz said:

I find it sort of strange that DE Yannick Ngakoue, after spending the first four seasons of his career with the Jacksonville Jaguars has played on four teams in the last three seasons, getting traded three times.

However, regardless of where he is playing, Ngakoue has proven to be a great pass rusher. He has recorded at least eight sacks in every season of his career.

In addition to the sacks, he has at least six tackles for loss and 11 quarterback hits in every season as well.

Agreed, and this observation on Yannick (as a singular example) is one of the reasons I find the NFL much more interesting than college football - being able to see how players perform in different places, systems, and roles. This is happening more in CFB now with the transfer portal (though I still don't find it interesting) but it's always been compelling to me to watch and follow, with an eye towards the impact on resource allocation for NFL teams.

• Pie 1

There's gotta be a reason why he isn't signed yet, and I'm leaning in towards money.

YN and Todd Wash have a strong history together and have backed each other up over the years in JAX. Maybe Evero isn't feeling the YN fit opposite Burns and I get that part of it. As others have pointed out, Ngakoue does put up sacks and pass rush metrics to support a roster spot, even if it is rotational. 

Maybe Evero/Wash like what they see with YGM & Haynes?

I just do not think we are signing any more Edge rushers--We have 6 who will make the roster--YGM, DJ, and maybe Leota---speed rushers Burns, Haynes, and Barno.

They could shop YGM--maybe--but Evero seemed to be focused on setting the edge...

25 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

I just do not think we are signing any more Edge rushers--We have 6 who will make the roster--YGM, DJ, and maybe Leota---speed rushers Burns, Haynes, and Barno.

They could shop YGM--maybe--but Evero seemed to be focused on setting the edge...

What could we reasonably expect to get in return for YGM?

First off, I'm definitely not opposed to the Panthers adding an EDGE player- I hope they do.

However, at this point, I doubt it happens until closer to the season and maybe even after the season starts.  You know what you have with these veteran guys.

I think the team is going to give a lot of snaps to the younger guys in camp to determine where the gaps still are before signing someone.

I think there are probably people within the organization that believe Haynes and/or YGM can be a starter and they want to vet that out first.

If these FA's were flawless, they would already be signed.

Yannick Ngakoue- Proven pass rusher capable of getting double digit sacks, generally been liability against the run.  History with Reich.

Jadaveon Clowney- Probably the best against the run, inconsistent as a pass rusher and locker room concerns.

Leonard Floyd- To me, probably the best of both worlds (rush + playing the run) we could sign.  Potential issue is that he is going to want $10M+ per season (all of them would).  Is Floyd better than Haynes with more snaps?  Extrapolating the discrepancy in snap counts, Haynes had comparable stats at $1.4M.

So, in summation, I do hope we sign someone (I'm leaning Floyd), but I do think the team is considering the above points and that's why we haven't signed anyone yet.