• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Praise for Mingo

Panthercougar68

https://x.com/caplannfl/status/1691408992004694016?s=12&t=8-tLE0S8v0NfoH3wy-zoGA

Tweet won’t embed but anyway it’s a quick blip on how Mingo has been good with press coverage all camp. Dude will be a player.

also from the article 

“Those Panther fans who watched the team’s 27-0 loss to the visiting New York Jets might have been discouraged, but preseason football is rarely reflective of the reality of how good or bad a team is. 

When it comes to the Panthers, this is probably the best roster they’ve had in several years (and team personnel didn’t disagree with the assessment when I pitched it to them) based on several upgrades made over the past few drafts and in free agency — especially this year.”

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

48 minutes ago, Panthercougar68 said:

https://x.com/caplannfl/status/1691408992004694016?s=12&t=8-tLE0S8v0NfoH3wy-zoGA

Tweet won’t embed but anyway it’s a quick blip on how Mingo has been good with press coverage all camp. Dude will be a player.

also from the article 

“Those Panther fans who watched the team’s 27-0 loss to the visiting New York Jets might have been discouraged, but preseason football is rarely reflective of the reality of how good or bad a team is. 

When it comes to the Panthers, this is probably the best roster they’ve had in several years (and team personnel didn’t disagree with the assessment when I pitched it to them) based on several upgrades made over the past few drafts and in free agency — especially this year.”

IMO our roster is being drastically overrated by the board during the before the season starts high window.   The argument for it being better than prior rosters in too dependent on guys being something they really haven't proven to be. 

On paper going into a season (not accounting for injuries, the season playing out).....I honestly am not sure when I would say this was a better overall roster than.  I'd have to really think about it. 

Now, I do think this roster is deeper than many teams we have fielded.  Which is good. We have had a lot of teams that were thin and too heavily dependent on a few.  But that top end talent carries a lot of weight in how I view things. 

• Pie 1

37 minutes ago, CRA said:

IMO our roster is being drastically overrated by the board during the before the season starts high window.   The argument for it being better than prior rosters in too dependent on guys being something they really haven't proven to be. 

On paper going into a season (not accounting for injuries, the season playing out).....I honestly am not sure when I would say this was a better overall roster than.  I'd have to really think about it. 

Now, I do think this roster is deeper than many teams we have fielded.  Which is good. We have had a lot of teams that were thin and too heavily dependent on a few.  But that top end talent carries a lot of weight in how I view things. 

It's that "IF" thing again, @CRA.  The roster has potential, probably more than we have had in several years.  But that potential has turn into reality.  I also think you are right, when you get past the top level, the dropoff is not as severe as in recent years.  I honestly hope it is more severe next year, because the top end has elevated itself.

The resting point is that some potential will turn into reality, and some won't.  Where that needle settles will determine how well this season can even go, then sprinkle in injuries and factor in coaching stealing a win or two or not (we are used to seeing them steal a loss or two). 

But some of the expectations I read make me hope that, for their sake, the posters have somebody managing their retirement funds.  Because if they invest based on the same type of expectations and assumptions they have for this team, they will be in trouble!

If we are looking for a barometer, I would suggest asking people how good our WR corps is.  My answer is "I really do not know."  A lot of potential, but also a lot to prove.

• Beer 2

We won the pre-season ...  draft , coaches, etc..  

We looked good getting off the bus.. 

It's time we put on our big boy pants and actually become a good football team ...  no more reading the media drooling about our draft , free agents, coaching staff..  It's time for the leaders on the team to be leaders.

• Pie 6

1 hour ago, Untouchable said:

Other Interesting Tidbits:

- Nolen Smith was a player we were watching to pair with Burns in the draft for 39th until he went 30th

- Stephen Sullivan is really pushing Tremble for TE3

Nolan Smith opposite of Burns would have been insane to watch. 😮

TE depth might actually be worth a damn this year too!

Mingo + TMJ developing into a solid WR duo would be incredible though. Very eager to see how that works out. The team has a decent enough core to where if some of these young guys show out in the next year or two they're going to be a part of the window. If not, replace em with somebody that can get the job done for QB1.

Edited by Icege

1 hour ago, CRA said:

This team is a ways away from the talent from 2013-2017. As Cam and Greg faded and we lost a lot of guys, especially on D, we’ve had a dearth of talent. Just based on having a promising QB and possibly a solid OL, it seems we are more talented than the end of Rivera/Hurney 2.0 and Rhule years. On offense, if Young becomes what we hope that’s the key because our 2020 offense was talented with CMC, DJ, 1000 yard Robby (not sure where his talent went later) and 1000 total yard Samuel. Teddy limited us a bit but the offense in 2020 had skilled talent for that year.

The one thing that still frustrates me is the lack of depth. I don’t think we are deep at all. Look at how our secondary fell apart for Mike Evans with the loss of Horn. If Burns or Brown get hurt, our front loses a ton. It’s been frustrating throwing 6 draft picks for Sam, Baker and Corral and then doing a trade up again for reach/project in this draft. We gave up a lot for Young as well and while I’m glad we did it, we are going to need to hit on more picks than we have been to infuse this team with talent. Look at a team like SF last year. They couldn’t overcome getting down to 3rd/4th string QBs but they survived a lot injuries to still make the championship game. We aren’t close to that depth. Our backups are way too far behind our key starters for us to withstand a bad injury year.

• Beer 2

1 minute ago, WhoKnows said:

This team is a ways away from the talent from 2013-2017. As Cam and Greg faded and we lost a lot of guys, especially on D, we’ve had a dearth of talent. Just based on having a promising QB and possibly a solid OL, it seems we are more talented than the end of Rivera/Hurney 2.0 and Rhule years. On offense, if Young becomes what we hope that’s the key because our 2020 offense was talented with CMC, DJ, 1000 yard Robby (not sure where his talent went later) and 1000 total yard Samuel. Teddy limited us a bit but the offense in 2020 had skilled talent for that year.

But even on paper going in, end of the Ron era was still stacked with talent.  Injury caused us to go to the backup QB in week 2.  QB play was the ultimate derailment.  Injury forced it to be a Kyle Allen, Will Grier season.   

Going in, it was still a roster that featured CMC, DJ Moore, Olsen, Samuel, Turner, Moton, etc. O. 

Luke, Shaq, Bradberry, Burns, McCoy, Irvin, Addison, Poe, Jackson, Reid, etc on D.  

I don't dislike where we are at presently.  Think we are building a fine base of players.  I just think it is being exaggerated and everything based on everyone hitting the full optimistic path. 

• Beer 4

2 hours ago, Untouchable said:

Other Interesting Tidbits:

- Nolen Smith was a player we were watching to pair with Burns in the draft for 39th until he went 30th

- Stephen Sullivan is really pushing Tremble for TE3

I will never understand why Ian Thomas isn't the #4 TE in danger. He is terrible.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Y’all some negatives. We have a good team with good depth outside of Corner Depth and TE depth. OL is going to be good, best we’ve had in pretty much forever. WR overall talent level is the best since Moose, Steve, and Ricky. We don’t have a Kuechly and Davis, but Shaq will always be serviceable and Frankie is a dawg. Top tier TE talent is down as a whole across the league. Hurst is average.

The Panthers went to the Super Bowl starting Mike Remmers, Michael Oher, Philly Brown, and Ted Ginn Jr. Let’s not act like that was a super team.

Edited by Swaggasaurus
  • Pie 2

I am just confused.  1st game of course was a big bummer.  Frank did not want to show other teams anything and he sure didn't.  But at even the blandest vanilla the oline and defense should have shown something. We are lucky not to have a QB injury. The players, especially oline,  are deservedly embarrassed.  Looking for a better effort next 2 games, although the Giants need to feel good about themselves after their 1st game.   Daboll was chewing his team out on the sidelines. 

They might go Jets on us.  I am bracing myself.

• Beer 3