• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Will YGM have a Hardy breakout year

TheBigKat

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

You can quote from an article where coaches coaching a current player are trying to be encouraging about his ability to accomplish something?

Yeah sure, that's convincing 😕

You might also include a quote about all the progress Matt Corral is making just for good measure.

Corral has made progress, so...

2 hours ago, MillionDollarCam said:

The breakout year is going to belong to this guy. That get off and speed as a stand up pass rusher in a 3-4 is going to drive tackles nuts. Haynes will put up 8+ sacks this year.

I've always loved Haynes.  He was a monster in college and has only had a positive trajectory here.  

Only problem is that him and Burns on the field together really only works on passing downs.  Early downs, it's tricker--which is why we reached for DJJ and brought in Houston to help set the edge. 

Honestly, I think Houston and Haynes working in the rotation down dependent, opposite Burns could be fine-to-great.  Not to mention, Luvu will also have more wide-9 looks in our penny fronts in an on-ball role.   

We're going deploy 5-1-5 Penny, 4-2-5 Nickel, 3-3-5 Nickel, and 3-4-4 and I just don't see YGM capitalizing here. 

Elsewhere on D, Chinn fits beautifully in N in the penny and nickel looks. Shaq is consistently our off-ball ILB in the 5-1.  Luvu can float around which is huge.  

YGM started every game last season, and I'll need to look it up, but TAFS did a dive into us the other week and mentioned how he was ranked something like 87 of 88 eligible pass rushers for win rate.  It's not looking good.  He had some wins in preseason but he consistently takes bad angles and can't wrap up a play after he's got the clear to do so.

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

The board has to realize we do not have the optimal defensive roster for the 3-4. 

YGM is better suited for the 4-3 and that's not going to change probably ever.  I see him as a decent backup here, but he may have better success with another team.  He seems like a good guy and teammate so I wish him luck no matter where he plays.

1 hour ago, TANTRIC-NINJA said:

Hardy flashed in year one and two. YGM has been mostly forgettable. 

Hardy was also a gunner on Special Teams right? Or did I dream this?

No he was a gunner in his 2nd year I believe.  He had enough speed and physical talent to do that. 

YGM is not that kind of athlete and I think we would just be better off letting him go to another team when he fit better.  Because it sure ain't here.

11 hours ago, Pejorative Miscreant said:

I think both of these guys showed had some high level flashes peppered in. YGM hasn’t done that much to give me much confidence he will breakout.  If he stays in the roster I will hope for the best and pull for him.  If not I wish him the best of luck elsewhere.  But it appears to be an uphill battle for him at the moment.  

I agree.  However, some people are late bloomers.  YGM and Henderson give me the feeling that neither loves the game--not based on facts, just a gut.

• Pie 1