• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Chris Simms on Bryce Young

NAS

5 minutes ago, therealmjl said:

The second one surprised me. I know he's a rookie and this was his first start, but as advertised "doesn't make the same mistake twice" didn't show itself on that. 

Nothing to panic over yet, this season will be a (ahem) process.

I'm honestly assuming on the second one that he just flat out didn't see the defender. It happens.

• Pie 1

44 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I did.

He's cool, he's smart, he's poised and he's pretty accurate.

Yes, there are growing pains (like him fading as the game went on) but for a rookie starting his first game he looked pretty good.

Hell, these days some guys can't even do that by year three.

I agree and so did most of the pundits who watched the game. You expect issues for rookie QBs, which were there. But Bryce is advanced in processing, which doesn’t always seem obvious to the casual observer. 

56 minutes ago, Tbe said:

I’m not sure. This is the throw. There is a clear line of site for Bryce down the hash marks. Bates came running down the hash marks and made the INT on the hash marks. I think he just misjudged how far away Bates was.

F04ED3F3-311A-4CC2-B634-268DB58AB890.png

AC23B872-FB58-422F-8998-631FC63A5A78.png

The whole Bates super day was because he was guessing right and our personnel. You can see up top that the WR didn't have any real separation. If that is say Tyreek Hill, Bates is out of position and that is an easy touchdown over the top. He knew he could sit on routes in the middle of the field all day, talent wise we had no answer, and Bryce has never not played with talent before that couldn't run off safety help. The guys he played with in college, no safety dare come off over the top help to jump middle of the field routes. 

• Pie 1

59 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

This. His accuracy wasn't as good as I expected and the two INTs were both late throws across the middle with a lurking safety. That's always a danger ball and one you better not throw unless you have a cannon of an arm and pinpoint accuracy. Bryce's arm has always looked NFL average at best to my eyes. His mobility and slipperiness was basically what I expected. He's not Michael Vick by any stretch of the imagination but he can buy some time and run a little bit when he has to.

I'd be lying if I said I was completely convinced that his mind can make up for what the body lacks.

Well said, this is pretty much where I am

1 hour ago, 45catfan said:

The first INT wasn't horrible, Bates is a great safety with quick breaking skills.  One step later for Jesse, that would have been a completion or at least not an INT. 

The second one though, that was a bad throw by Bryce.   Same spot, same defender in the area and led the receiver too much. 

Which leads me to the question....Why the heck didn't we get Bates?!?!

• Flames 1

1 hour ago, CRA said:

I mean, Chark would help.  But he isn't reliable to really count on.  Just a bonus. 

and it's the modern day NFL.  You can't really just have 1 person that can go vertical either.  I mean, you aren't' going to have a roster of Tyreek Hills but most teams have more than one human that can challenge teams deep to an extent. 

They have to account for him if he runs deep. They cant ignore it because that has always been his forte. The affect come from the intent not because the result is garunteed.

You seem to be missing the point.

Hell, just send Mingo deep.

Edited by csx
  • Pie 1

6 minutes ago, Ricky Prickles said:

I wanted to draft him and I wanted him in FA before the Falcons snagged him. When they did, I said to myself, 'Sh*t, they got a dude that's going to be a thorn in our side.'  Don't blame me. 😁

• Beer 1

9 minutes ago, Ricky Prickles said:

We were a playoff team in 2017 so we were drafting towards the ends of the rounds. We took Moore round 1. Bates was taken just before our second round pick when we took Jackson.

Did Bates even move on the 2 picks? Looks like he was reading the QB’s eyes. Don’t get me wrong, they were on target for completions but an adjustment/coaching should’ve happened after the first pick, Bates just camped out in the middle of the field and we never adjusted. Maybe if we had let Bryce and the offense practice running these secret plays in the preseason would’ve helped, who knows? 

2 hours ago, NAS said:

Even Chris Simms who was notoriously a  Bryce doubter came out of this game with mostly positive takeaways about Bryce Young.

Interesting that he doesn't even think the interceptions were that horrible, Bryce was expecting the safety to go deep but because we don't have a deep threat the free safety played more shallow than he expected. 

As he said, this is the NFL and I'm sure Bryce will learn from this experience.  

DJ Chark getting healthy is the most important thing for this offense, there has to be a vertical threat to this offense and Bryce needs to make some deep throws to keep these safeties from crowding the middle of the field.

Watch from 57:38.  

I just don't buy that Chark singlehandedly changes the outlook of the game like that.  He's a great player, but we also have Smith-Marsette who is regarded as a "take the top off guy" and wasn't utilized.  And as I mentioned yesterday, both TMJ and Mingo beat their guys over the top and Bryce missed both of them.

I didn't play QB in the NFL, but Simms has been wrong before too, and I just was not impressed in the least bit with what I saw.  As I said before, Bryce has to rely greatly on his supporting cast to be effective, but when he's also missing throws to that supporting cast that are essentially layups, then it just further cancels out any positives he possesses.  Again, it's why I preferred AR because he doesn't need other players to win a game bc he can make plays on his own and outs a ton of pressure on defense with his tendency to run.  

Not trying to trash Bryce...  I'm still hoping for the best, but I didn't think he was the right guy, and yesterday did nothing to alleviate that concern.

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1