• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

All-22 Review: Panthers @ Falcons [Week 1 - 2023]

TheCasillas

Looks like he was running through his reads a little fast on some of those instead of letting the play develop. 

That happens to rookies quite a bit when the speed of the game increases. 

I will say it's tough to say what read progression is on some that you mentioned were wide open, so there is a chance he didn't "Miss" them, they just were lower on the progression than the other throws., we don't know since we aren't in the meetings for the offense. 

Still not worried. He looked like a rookie QB in his first start. Not a horrible thing. All the miscues look coachable and like they can be ironed out with more playing time. 

Hopefully next week goes better. 

• Pie 2

11 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

I will say it's tough to say what read progression is on some that you mentioned were wide open, so there is a chance he didn't "Miss" them, they just were lower on the progression than the other throws., we don't know since we aren't in the meetings for the offense. 

Honestly I think we might have had too many long developing plays for him. He’s fast and he knows the book for sure. I hope to see faster route progression this time around. Get everyone else around him up to his mental speed, and then adjust them as a singular unit to the speed the coaches want in a given situation. 

1 hour ago, TheCasillas said:
  • Bryce Young leaves his read to Adam Thielen just a half second too early.. This could have been an easy pitch and catch for about 5 yards. However, a silver lining is that once he moves out of the pocket to create an extended play he sees Hayden across the middle but just can’t put the accuracy needed on it.. If he does… It's a big game. Lots of ifs… but it is worth noticing 

• This looks like possibly a vision thing.  Could have lost sight but I can see him coming off that first read too early as well.  When he moves onto his 2nd read (4 or 5 seconds) it does seem like the corner is sittting to break on the 1st read.  Safety driving on the 2nd read, cant see 3rd read or just not open so needs to move to a new throwing window.

• One of a handful of deep shots missed by Bryce. He is able to extend the play with his legs and create an opportunity to find a receiver open, and some will argue he wisely dumps it off.. But Bates leaves Thielen and Bryce has an easy 6 if he sees it.

• Keeping eyes downfield would help here.  I don't know the down here but he's definitely not looking deep anymore when he escapes the pocket and probably hoping to hold the D long enough for the dump off to grab the first down.

• It does appear that TMJ and Bryce need more time together - TMJ is open but often it appears the timing was off between him and Bryce. You can tell on this play that TMJ was looking for the ball over the top and had his man beat for it, but Bryce wanted the back shoulder.

• Pretty confident this is on TMJ. TMJ is a step behind when Bryce opens up, so back shoulder is the right read.

• Another missed opportunity with a wide open Thielen. You could argue the pressure in Bryce’s face led him to take the dump off, but Thielen is wide open in the middle of the field on this one. It appears Mingo was the go to here on this play. Also, for those doubting Bryce’s arm strength….this is a good example of the zip he can get on the ball… even after i slowed it down for you all by 25%

• Think you're right the the pressure being the issue. By the time he starts coming back to that side of the field there is a free rusher in his face.

• This play wont make many people happy….. Bryce has two people wide open, but I can not speak from experience on how hard those throws are to make when sprinting full speed with someone chasing me. It is also possible that Bryce was already committed to running for 16 yards.

• I see no issues here.  Sure he could possibly hit those 2 receivers on the run but this is a guaranteed first down. 

• Bryce’s 2nd INT…. do yourself a favor don’t look at Mingo here… As for the throw, the decision isn’t a bad one… it is the placement of the ball. I think Bryce just rushes this throw … he has TMJ for a second but the ball is just a second too late and too far inside. If you want to go throw mechanics, Bryce’s hips are pointing wide, which plays a role in why the ball goes more toward the hashes as opposed to TMJ. It is a bummer, but Bryce is a rookie… don’t do it again Bryce!

• This looks like a bad read by Bryce. Sure looks like Cover 1 so TMJ is double teamed and not open. Staying on Mingo longer had a really good chance.

• The deep ball that was missed to Mingo was on Bryce… just not enough air. It’s definitely a tale of two halves for Bryce and our offense. 

• Good read, good call, good release, good route. Just missed.

• The next play missed an opportunity with Hurst in the middle of the field. He has his man beat but I believe Bryce pre-determined where he wanted to go with the ball 

• Not loading for me

• 4th quarter was just a bad quarter for Bryce, you can tell he was in his own head. Here is another missed opportunity across the middle to TMJ

• This is a good route by TMJ, maybe he couldn't see him or moved off him because he's feeling the pressure and moving within the pocket. Moton is looks beat when Bryce steps up but basically dives to by more time

• Thielen is most likely spending the week in Bryce’s ear. Thielen should have over 100 yards on Sunday and potentially 2 TDs… you be the judge

• Disagree for this play. Reading to the right, smart throw away.  That left safety is unlikely to leave Thielen open if Bryce is looking that way. 

• Another missed opportunity over the middle to Tremble. It appears at this point in the game Bruce had already made his mind up on where he was going with the ball pre-snap.

• He's not even working the right side of the field here.  If I'm looking at this right Tremble might be his 4th read. Shame because that's a good route, but I think that safety jumps that underneath early here too probably with no fear of being beat deep and Bryce focused on the other side of the field.

This is really a fantastic post, thank you for taking the time and posting it for all us to see.  I'm trying to be understanding in my assumptions because I don't know whats being coached here but it looks like a combination some good, some bad, some tricks from Atlanta and needing to hit on some deep shots to open up the field.

Edited by Untouchable

2 hours ago, TheCasillas said:

• Thielen is most likely spending the week in Bryce’s ear. Thielen should have over 100 yards on Sunday and potentially 2 TDs… you be the judge

This is why we need speed. It takes about 4 seconds for Thielen to get open here. That's way too long.

• Poo 1

Good writeup. It confirms what seemed clear was that Bryce got rattled and those interceptions did play tricks with his head. He became hesitant when he needed to throw on timing, and chucked the ball out of bounds in the direction of a covered  receiver when his first read got shut down. 

I expect him to be improved against a potentially tougher defense.

4 hours ago, Ricky Spanish said:

I noticed this quite a bit as well. That said when the play break down and there is a receiver down field with the mailbox flag up, gotta see those.

• Pie 1