• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

TMJ

ncfan

This is probably his last year unless he really turns it around.

He had 1 or 2 flash games last year.  But that’s not enough.   People were shocked to see Mingo ahead of him on the intial depth chart release in August.

But Sunday showed why.  He was awful.  He struggled to get separation.  And just looked lost in general.

https://x.com/theqbschool/status/1702163033295139166?s=46&t=aiPUjsQe1UqJLQWV6-uFZA

completely pulled up on the deep ball (lost).  On the 3rd down pinned deep, with everyone pretty covered.  Bryce put one on his back shoulder at the first down marker, but TMJ looked like had no clue what was going on.

55EF0548-CC23-4BF6-B86B-6CE56A7E279A.jpeg

Edited by ncfan
  • Pie 9

The think that bothered me is when he hesitated on a deep route-not his forte, I get that, but what is?  Any WR knows that once you reveal your route to the DB, it is a sprint to gain separation.  To me, that suggested he is not getting it mentally.  Why hesitate on a deep route? He was not expecting the ball, maybe?  Not the kind of thinking we need.

Otherwise, he is very inconsistent.  He flashes at times, but they all do.  I would rather see the WR we just signed getting time, honestly.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

4 minutes ago, Camp Fodder said:

He’s very overrated here. Honestly I think Shi Smith was better

Shi Smith was considered better by us too until he had some dropsies. He won the starting WR3 over TMJ because in preseason TMJ couldn’t separate. I remember TMJ being stared down by Sam and he was covered and fell down. Sam then found Shi for a nice TD.

I never liked the TMJ pick over the solid OL available like Humphrey. We needed a C, not a 3rd WR.

• Beer 1

Without knowing the actual playcall….it’s hard for me to get that mad.  Attacking deep just wasn’t part of the gameplan.    I was shocked at that throw.  Didn’t expect it.  I don’t think TMJ thought the ball was coming his way.  And WRs all over the league run bullshit routes at half speed when the play isn’t really coming their way.   But I do think the TMJ experiment should end after this year if he doesn’t show something worthwhile.  Got to show something in 3 years

When we drafted him, it was a "steal!"  But over time, he's not showing the development you want.  Now he still has plenty of games left, one game doesn't define a career; BUT TMJ needs to really get it together. 

The quitting on a route is unacceptable, and I hope Coach Jefferson puts him on his butt in practice.

Or TMJ isn't a high end NFL player.  It happens to high draft picks all the time.  He's got the tools, he had the legacy (out of a great LSU group).  He's just not there.  Hopefully things turn around for him - which will be better for us!

1 hour ago, ncfan said:

Bryce put one on his back shoulder at the first down marker, but TMJ looked like had no clue what was going on.

A back shoulder is always a go route. It’s based on how the DB plays the WR. TMJ felt that he had his man at his hip… this means the QB should take the go instead of the back shoulder. Back shoulder is when the DB is over the top and there is no way the receiver is getting passed him.

All this to say… tmj had his man beat and went big but Bryce felt he didn’t have him beat enough. It’s a chemistry thing not a “had no clue” thing 

hate on TMJ for giving up on a few routes in the game but not this play. 

• Pie 4